• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
Yeah, but think of the effort Dutch would have to put in for that. Less effort = good.

I would put some human heads on spikes right at the property line. I believe some ancient cultures used to do that.

formattc said: Put up signs?

Funny, when I saw the OP title, Landmines was the first thing that came to mind!

Seriously, you might want to show your neighbors the new cookbook that you just bought, and ask them how much the children weigh...

I have a solution, but it is so controversial, so unorthodox, so absurd you would probably never even think to do it...

Invite the family over and communicate your problem!

There's nothing like a

1. direct word with the father.

2. follow up with a letter from an attorney saying.. xx xx xx

whatever you intend to say about waht you'll have to do if such and such.

There is a liability factor. If they twist their little s hit ankle on
your property they could submit a claim to your insurance via an attorney
and create $$ problems as your insurance could theoretically and likely just drop you. Their thinking = if you have a sh it neighbor they don't need your business.

Shot over the bow of the ship and all that.

line your border with dog poop. After stepping in it a few times, the kids will stay away.

Hook up some speakers and play the Mosquito ringtone through it Of course, it will annoy innocent bystanders under 20 years old as well but hey, the innocent often pay for crimes with the guilty

Don't refer to them as "ankle biters" or "hole monsters" either.

Tornadochaser said: Hook up some speakers and play the Mosquito ringtone through it Of course, it will annoy innocent bystanders under 20 years old as well but hey, the innocent often pay for crimes with the guilty

I'm 27 and can hear the noise. And a guy I work with who is ~40 can hear it also. No reason to drive myself nuts.

But... they seem to be gone this weekend, except a little bit yesterday afternoon... I had a screeching headache and was going to lay down and saw them playing nicely outside. When I got up an hour later, they were not out there.

They seem to be behaving themselves for now, I'm still planning on saying something to the parents when I see them, but I'm not writing a letter and putting it in the mailbox, and I'm not ringing the doorbell to talk. And I'm not inviting them over for dinner, at least not yet.

greensled said: I'd just do the sprinklers until I got the fence in.

Children that age love to play in water, that will probably encourage more shits to run onto his property :d

Why don't you try talking to the neighbors that live where the children are congregating, direct communication is always best, explain about the flower beds.

Hahaha. I found the letter on my computer. This is what I sent to the second neighbors. It sounds kind of cheesy when I read it now, but I can attest that it has worked.... twice (two different neighbors). No threats, just the facts. I offered an alternative to what they were doing now. Sheesh, I put too much thought into it. I should have just smeared poop on their door, cars, door handles, and windows

Hello neighbor
Please understand that this is a friendly reminder. I understand that you are newly moved in and just getting settled. I was wondering if it is possible for you to clean up after your dog or perhaps have him/her walk somewhere else to go #2? Maybe you can direct him/her to the field across the street? We have at least 9 piles of dog poo in our walkway. Please remember that this is the only way for us to reach our car. Every time we need to go to our car, we have to avoid stepping in dog poo. This is extremely difficult as when it snows that also limits where we can walk. We have a very young son that walks in the same path. We do not want this to come between us as neighbors, that is not our intention, we just ask that you pick up after your dog.
Thank you,

andre1000 said: There's nothing like a

1. direct word with the father.

2. follow up with a letter from an attorney saying.. xx xx xx
Why only the father?

I've only read three things you posted last night and all of them slam women or treat them as unworthy.

That's a good question, and when you get a viable answer, please let me know. I've had similar problems for the past 2-3 years now, and it just keeps getting worse. The neighbor kids have a portable basketball hoop about 3 ft. from the property fence (theirs). Naturally, about every 5 minutes (literally) the basketball sails over the fence, usually landing on one of my plants or seedlings. After the ball comes the neighbor kid or one of his friends, breaking additional plants, trodding over my grass seed, etc. Two years ago they broke my wood gate between the properties.

When I talked to the neighbor kid's mother, her reply, which I'll never forget, was, "I'm not responsible for what the kids do. But since they play ball so much, why don't you just take down the fence so they can come in your yard and get their ball, instead of having to jump over the fence or the gate?"

The point I was trying to make to her was that I didn't want the kids in my yard, period, because they ruin my plants and I spend extra money on grass seed.

Last year, the situation really escalated because the mother, yes, that's right, over the years had worn a patch of dirt on the side of my front lawn about 4ft by 8 inches, because she gets out of her car on my side of her driveway (so she doesn't have to ruin her own lawn, I suspect). I planted some grass seed and roped off the section, as most people do, so no one walks on it, and I was awakened in the middle of the night (when she came home after a night of drinking) by her pounding on the door, yelling that she was going to sue me because she had no choice but to use my lawn as a stepping point to get out of her car. Of course, she was holding my twine and stakes in her hand, which she threw at me.

To make a long story short, last year we had the police out here several times. After the initial incident, she sprayed weed killer along the entire side of my lawn, so now I have a strip about 20 ft long by about 6-8 inches wide that's all dirt.

However, she was far from done. She also sprayed weed killer on my morning glories, killing them and a patch of grass about 3 ft by 3 ft. It's now dirt. That's at the entrance to my back yard, facing her house.

In addition to that, she sprayed my bean plants with weed killer, unbeknownst to us, and we got sick eating them. She also pulled out an 8ft high sunflower, on my property (she just reached over the fence).

Because of her weed killer escapades, I now have about a 30 ft. strip of dirt about 3 ft wide in my back yard.

Let me say that the police are ABSOLUTELY USELESS. I was advised to file a criminal complaint against her, but in order to do that, I was told I needed to give her birthdate and social security number!

Right, and just how do I get that? Not from the police, I can assure you.

All last summer, I was bullied by this woman. Every time I went outdoors she would come out, if she was home, and harass me. She has literally stood on her front sidewalk and shouted to the neighborhood that I was a lesbian (I'm not) and she has told me that she wanted me dead.

Again, I must emphasize that each time I called the police, and THEY DID NOTHING. In fact, one time I was told that if I called again, I WOULD GO TO JAIL!

Now that the weather is nice, it's starting all over again. The latest is that I've been accused of taking one of the kid's basketballs, which I didn't, and I've been threatened by one of the kids - "I'm going to get my mom to come and beat you up." True to his threat, this morning his "mom", and I use the term loosely, came over and informed me that "my kid WILL come in your yard anytime he wants to to get the basketball."

Again, today, I called the police. Again, they did nothing but told me to "work it out" with my neighbor!

According to my neighbor (the so-called "adult woman" who calls herself a mother), these kids are "entitled" to go in my yard whenever they want to to get their basketball. In fact, she encourages them. After the police left today, the kids went right back to the basketball hoop and started to play, while the mother stood in her back doorway, laughing at me.

I don't have the money to hire an attorney. The police are of no help. I can't afford to move. I've lived here for 11 years. I'm being bullied and victimized, not just by the neighbors, but by the police.

So, I feel for you. I don't have any answers, but if you find one that works, please let me know. I've seen some decent answers on here, but most of them (short of the quicksand idea or buying a vicious dog) I've tried.

I've tried planting bushes. Nope. The neighbor woman has either pulled them out or sprayed weedkiller on them.

Can't try talking to the parents, obviously. We're dealing with uneducated, white trash here that apparently feel they are entitled not only to the use of their own property, but mine, as well.

I have posted no trespassing signs.

These people have absolutely no respect for anyone else's property, let alone their privacy. The police won't enforce trespassing laws - why, I don't know.

I've already contacted my metrocouncilman, who was of no help. And I called the mayor, who also was of no help.

Short of hiring someone to sit in my yard with a loaded gun (which would probably get ME arrested) or buy a vicious pit bull, I have no clue what to do next.

If it were my fence, I'd put vaseline on it, but it's the neighbor's fence. If I had the money for a privacy fence, that would be my first thought, but I don't have the money, and they'd probably jump it and damage it, anyway.

So, if you find something that works, again, please let me know!

Kentucky, how about contacting one of those consumer protection TV newsshows? It's a GREAT story, one I'm sure they'd love to air. Maybe the police/law enforcement community will be so embarassed by that they will have to DO something.

Ya'll see how tedious and frustrating it is to be all PC and non-confrontational about things in life? Dutch, just go up to the parents of the kids and let 'em know how you feel... You are entitled to privacy at your home, and not having kids run over your property is one of those things included in privacy...

I would use my chain saw to retrieve their basketball. It is hard to bounce a basketball that is in 50 pieces.

iRabbitt said: There's a neighbor across the street from where we live who can't stand any kids even when they're in their own yard (he's surrounded on both side of his house, plus ours across the street and kids everywhere in the neighborhood). If he's in his back yard he turns on the sprinklers, or worse he'll take his shirt off and the kids are so grossed out they run across the street to our house to play until he goes back inside. He's a very cranky person, never talks to anyone and of course you can't help but feel sorry for him.

Dutch, you don't want to grow into someone like that. Put in a fence, put some giant bushes up and enjoy your privacy while still getting along w/the neighbors. One day your little dutchkins will be running around and you may need someone to offer you some patience as well.

I agree SOMEWHAT, I live in a very small mobile home community and these hicks drive 4 wheelers around, blast stereos, make racket revving engines. a person deserves to have peace and quiet around their home. People don't seem to care about neighbors nowadays and they just do what they want. I don't call police or complain but why can't these people control themselves and quit making so much dang noise.

I don't bother them with noise beyond lawnmower and should be the same with them. I dont want to socialize with them, and don't wish them coming in my yard either. people need to respect that not all people enjoy bundles of joys bothering them. they may be kidless for a reason!

kentuckywoman2 said: If you find something that works, again, please let me know!

I apologize for your situation.

As a temporary, albeit vengeful, solution, make that strip of grass she killed deeeep mud. We're talking soak it with the hose for hours. Also consider buying some pig or bull shit from a nearby farmer and put it there.

This is exactly what you need........ It's called the Scarecrow Motion activated Sprinkler system.. I had a co worker just show me this about a week ago.. his front sidewalk is very close to the school bus stop and the chit lens like to congregate on his yard.. or I should say liked too..

videos

when all else fails... you can always be -THAT- neighbor... you know, the one that has the HOA on speed dial, submitting those 'anonymous' complaints.

TM1 said: get that sprinkler that has the motion senser on it. it is to keep cats out of the flowers/garden, but motion is motion! It is like 40 bucks, you may need two!! I'll find the link.

http://www.smarthome.com/6120.html

kentuckywoman2 said: That's a good question, and when you get a viable answer, please let me know. I've had similar problems for the past 2-3 years now, and it just keeps getting worse. The neighbor kids have a portable basketball hoop about 3 ft. from the property fence (theirs). Naturally, about every 5 minutes (literally) the basketball sails over the fence, usually landing on one of my plants or seedlings. After the ball comes the neighbor kid or one of his friends, breaking additional plants, trodding over my grass seed, etc. Two years ago they broke my wood gate between the properties.

When I talked to the neighbor kid's mother, her reply, which I'll never forget, was, "I'm not responsible for what the kids do. But since they play ball so much, why don't you just take down the fence so they can come in your yard and get their ball, instead of having to jump over the fence or the gate?"

The point I was trying to make to her was that I didn't want the kids in my yard, period, because they ruin my plants and I spend extra money on grass seed.

Last year, the situation really escalated because the mother, yes, that's right, over the years had worn a patch of dirt on the side of my front lawn about 4ft by 8 inches, because she gets out of her car on my side of her driveway (so she doesn't have to ruin her own lawn, I suspect). I planted some grass seed and roped off the section, as most people do, so no one walks on it, and I was awakened in the middle of the night (when she came home after a night of drinking) by her pounding on the door, yelling that she was going to sue me because she had no choice but to use my lawn as a stepping point to get out of her car. Of course, she was holding my twine and stakes in her hand, which she threw at me.

To make a long story short, last year we had the police out here several times. After the initial incident, she sprayed weed killer along the entire side of my lawn, so now I have a strip about 20 ft long by about 6-8 inches wide that's all dirt.

However, she was far from done. She also sprayed weed killer on my morning glories, killing them and a patch of grass about 3 ft by 3 ft. It's now dirt. That's at the entrance to my back yard, facing her house.

In addition to that, she sprayed my bean plants with weed killer, unbeknownst to us, and we got sick eating them. She also pulled out an 8ft high sunflower, on my property (she just reached over the fence).

Because of her weed killer escapades, I now have about a 30 ft. strip of dirt about 3 ft wide in my back yard.

Let me say that the police are ABSOLUTELY USELESS. I was advised to file a criminal complaint against her, but in order to do that, I was told I needed to give her birthdate and social security number!

All last summer, I was bullied by this woman. Every time I went outdoors she would come out, if she was home, and harass me. She has literally stood on her front sidewalk and shouted to the neighborhood that I was a lesbian (I'm not) and she has told me that she wanted me dead.

Again, I must emphasize that each time I called the police, and THEY DID NOTHING. In fact, one time I was told that if I called again, I WOULD GO TO JAIL!

Now that the weather is nice, it's starting all over again. The latest is that I've been accused of taking one of the kid's basketballs, which I didn't, and I've been threatened by one of the kids - "I'm going to get my mom to come and beat you up." True to his threat, this morning his "mom", and I use the term loosely, came over and informed me that "my kid WILL come in your yard anytime he wants to to get the basketball."

Again, today, I called the police. Again, they did nothing but told me to "work it out" with my neighbor!

According to my neighbor (the so-called "adult woman" who calls herself a mother), these kids are "entitled" to go in my yard whenever they want to to get their basketball. In fact, she encourages them. After the police left today, the kids went right back to the basketball hoop and started to play, while the mother stood in her back doorway, laughing at me.

I don't have the money to hire an attorney. The police are of no help. I can't afford to move. I've lived here for 11 years. I'm being bullied and victimized, not just by the neighbors, but by the police.

So, I feel for you. I don't have any answers, but if you find one that works, please let me know. I've seen some decent answers on here, but most of them (short of the quicksand idea or buying a vicious dog) I've tried.

I've tried planting bushes. Nope. The neighbor woman has either pulled them out or sprayed weedkiller on them.

Can't try talking to the parents, obviously. We're dealing with uneducated, white trash here that apparently feel they are entitled not only to the use of their own property, but mine, as well.

These people have absolutely no respect for anyone else's property, let alone their privacy. The police won't enforce trespassing laws - why, I don't know.

I've already contacted my metrocouncilman, who was of no help. And I called the mayor, who also was of no help.

Short of hiring someone to sit in my yard with a loaded gun (which would probably get ME arrested) or buy a vicious pit bull, I have no clue what to do next.

If it were my fence, I'd put vaseline on it, but it's the neighbor's fence. If I had the money for a privacy fence, that would be my first thought, but I don't have the money, and they'd probably jump it and damage it, anyway.

I lived next to someone like you when I was younger. The more the old hag bitched, the more we went in her yard!

biglittle said:
I lived next to someone like you when I was younger. The more the old hag bitched, the more we went in her yard!

We lived next to someone like you when I was younger. They never found the body.

If I were you, I would just sleep with their mom.

Update:

One of the little shit hits the side of the house when I got home and was changing from work clothes into jeans and tshirt.

I come running out of the house half dressed yelling. The kid's apologizing, but I let him have it. I told him I was sick of it, and gave him some parenting that his parents should have. I told him that when you're golfing, the ball has the ability to slice 90 degrees or more from where you're aiming. I told him it he's planning on driving, he needs to stand in the middle of the yard, near the back and drive away from everything, and told him that he will NOT be hitting my house or anything in the yard again in the future. His brother whined something about how he almost got the ball lost in the field. I told him that I didn't care, because his back yard isn't a driving range. When the kids were looking like a tear would be shed, I eased up.

I told them that I was sorry and wasn't trying to ruin their fun, but windows are extremely expensive to replace and hitting the side of the house could damage the siding which would need to be replaced also. They seemed to understand this. I then told them to also stay out of the yard, as someone walked through and broke some flowers the other day. And to stay off the rocks, as if they fell they could be hurt. They took this well, and with my tone a little nicer they seemed to react well.

5 minutes later they came over to me, and said that they resolved their problem... they were just going to go over to their friend's house to drive Golfballs. OK, fine with me...

Good for you. Sometimes just talking to them yourself and letting them know you mean business will work. I think showing your anger, then calming and explaining WHY you don't want them doing what they are doing is great. Probably more than their parents have ever taught them.

I thought you were gonna tell us you sliced them up with your pirate sword...I'm relieved. If you still need to chum the water, pyee is still available!

GREAT STORY!

riznick said: line your border with dog poop. After stepping in it a few times, the kids will stay away.

I'm inclined to think that the kids will step in the poop and keep going.

Kentucky - You need to move as fast as you can no matter how much of a hit you might take in this economy right now. You will be much happier you did once you don't have to put up with that craziness anymore. That is no way to live. THEN when you do finally move, you can go BACK to her house at night and make her life a living hell by doing things that will make HER crazy. Seriously, you should consider it.

kentuckywoman2 said: That's a good question, and when you get a viable answer, please let me know. I've had similar problems for the past 2-3 years now, and it just keeps getting worse. The neighbor kids have a portable basketball hoop about 3 ft. from the property fence (theirs). Naturally, about every 5 minutes (literally) the basketball sails over the fence, usually landing on one of my plants or seedlings. After the ball comes the neighbor kid or one of his friends, breaking additional plants, trodding over my grass seed, etc. Two years ago they broke my wood gate between the properties.
w!

I had the same problem many times when I lived in NYC. My last resort was to pay someone to steal the hoop. Most times the family did not have the money to replace it, especially if it was portable. A fixed one was more of a problem.

Good luck it sounds like you need it,
michelle

My whole reason for reading this post was that it came up when I searched for a pond pump?

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap pond pump? The previous owners of this house sold it to us with a koi pond but the pump was garbage and unfortunatley we killed the koi when we brought them in for the winter. Now we have this stagnat pool of water and I need to find a working pump for a small pond. I would really appreciate some information please im me so I don't hijack this thread any more.

Thanks!
michelle

don't they sell pumps at lowes and home depot?

formattc said: Put up signs?

Tried and read most of the suggestions; sign (HOA demanded I take it down..wouldn't want the homes for sale to think there might be a problem in the neighborhood..well ya think?? yep...), talking to the parents (they say I should expect kids to be on my property and use it as their short cut to the park as well as I should expect dog owners to let their dogs pee/crap in my yard and on my mailbox), put up cameras and turned the video over to the police (still waiting for 3 cases to come to court 2 months later) (HOA blamed me for the last incident - 1 kid flashing his privates at my camera and it's my fault because I have the cameras up...say huh?? I put them up to get evidence they were trespassing not for their perverted entertainment), talking to parents a useless futile exercise in stupid logic on their part...I like the paintball device I found but $1500-$3000 a bit much...

Any other suggestions since even the threats of arrest and fines haven't gotten the same kids from trespassing??

If you are not getting any help from the local police, call the state police. Also, take pics of their kids while they are on your lawn retrieving said basketball, and have them prosecuted for trespasing. You can file the charges yourself (you can where I live). Sue them in small claims court (take it to Judge Judy).

If you are not getting any help from the local police, call the state police. Also, take pics of their kids while they are on your lawn retrieving said basketball, and have them prosecuted for trespasing. You can file the charges yourself (you can where I live). Sue them in small claims court (take it to Judge Judy).

Here where I live you file what is called a "citizen's complaint". When I file them I also hand over a video of the little scumbags and stills I take from the video. Hard to argue with video and photos. I run the cameras into the video tape recorder and then dump them to DVD as needed. The first is a simple fine ($100), the second is at least the same fine with potential jail time even for the kids. You can also have a lawyer issue a "demand" letter with the threat of legal action for continuing the activity. As far as destroying the lawn, that's vandalism and if you can prove it, the cops should arrest her. I can't believe that they won't. My city here is a bit slow but they are at least taking action to help me with my problems.

i am so glad that my neighbors are not like any of the bad ones in this thread. the neighbor kids do occasionally have to come get a ball in my yard, but it's no big deal.

the only thing that i can suggest for anyone w/ unwanted nuisance would be to get the scarecrow.
(just went through to read the rest of the thread and i see someone has already suggested this.)
i would be HIGHLY pissed if anyone put weed killer in my yard. i don't use chemicals. i wish you luck.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014