Lug Nut Seized while rotating tires

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
I took my car in for a tire rotation this morning and was told that the Lug Nut on Left Rear Tire was seized. They said I should take it to their mechanic to have it repaired and they would pay. Of the two choices for their mechanic, one is out in never never land, and has a total of 4 employees. Coundn't get more info on this one but the other one has been in court on a matter similar to mine and was proved to have caused more damage. Judgement was against them and it was disclosed in court that several other facilities they have in town have been investigated by Dept of Auto Repair (?) and determined they were doing unceccesary repairs. I talked to the manager of the shop and told him I really wanted my mechanic to work on my car and he said I could either go to his mechanic and he would pay or my mechanic and I would pay.
I ahve since gone on Edmonds.com and found a similar problem and it was suggested that they take the auto to a tire shop for repairs. My question is two part:
1. Shouldn't I be able to have my own mechanic repair the damage they did?
2. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
it's a lug nut, no biggie
a good mechanic will get it off and back remaining broke bolt out and replace it. not THAT technical of a job.

I would if it was mine;
make sure to get written or recorded proof of them claiming fault and their intent to pay repair.
then take it to the model dealer so they can't claim it was shoddy repair and refuse to pay, then send them the bill via registered mail.

I had a new bolt put on once it was like $1. I don't know about your car, but it's really easy.

You wouldnt happen to drive a Hyundai Elantra would you? In the last 5 years, mechanics have busted my nuts 7 times. The last time was discount tires. They said they would pay and sent me to brake masters. They replaced the stud and put a regular nut on it (not a lugnut). I have about 5 different size nuts on on car now, none of witch my tire iron will fit. I had to pay to have them fixed the first 6 times because the mechanics that broke them said it was because the person that put it on before crossed thereaded it. Each time it cost me about $70.

handyguy said: I had a new bolt put on once it was like $1. I don't know about your car, but it's really easy.

I think what he means is the stud that the lugnut screws onto broke.

Donkeythekidd said: In the last 5 years, mechanics have busted my nuts 7 times. I have about 5 different size nuts now

Donkeythekidd said: They replaced the stud and put a regular nut on it (not a lugnut). I have about 5 different size nuts on on car now, none of witch my tire iron will fit.

Why didn't you go to Hyundai and buy a lugnut for $1?

qcumber98 said: Donkeythekidd said: They replaced the stud and put a regular nut on it (not a lugnut). I have about 5 different size nuts on on car now, none of witch my tire iron will fit.

Why didn't you go to Hyundai and buy a lugnut for $1?

They busted my stud. When they finally got the lugnut off half the stud was inside the lugnut. When they replaced the stud they used a different size stud along with a different size lugnut.

OP when you get it fixed make sure they use genuine parts for your car. So you dont end up having a different size lugnut on it.

Donkeythekidd said: You wouldnt happen to drive a Hyundai Elantra would you? In the last 5 years, mechanics have busted my nuts 7 times. The last time was discount tires. They said they would pay and sent me to brake masters. They replaced the stud and put a regular nut on it (not a lugnut). I have about 5 different size nuts on on car now, none of witch my tire iron will fit.Do you mean regular nuts that are flat on both sides, not tapered on the side that goes toward the wheel? If so, there's a good chance the nuts -- and wheel, will come off during driving because that's been known to happen when lug nuts are installed backwards. Another thing to worry about: some metric and English nuts are very similar in size and must never be substituted for the other. For example, 1/2" nuts seem to fit 12mm studs but are actually about 0.5mm too large and won't hold well enough. Lug nuts are cheap at auto parts stores.

A stripped stud can be pressed or hammered out and a new one hammered in from the other side. Studs are knurled (grooved) where they go into the hub, and it's important to get the right pitch of knurl so it matches the knurling of the hub.

Donkeythekidd said: In the last 5 years, mechanics have busted my nuts 7 times.
Quote of the day.....

repacing a lug nut shouldn't be that big of a problem.

If I owned that hydunai, I'd go somewhere else to get my car worked on, because frankly, its a lug nut/stud, its nothing thats hard to replace. if you brake the stud, take the wheel off, if you have disk brakes, should be able to rotate the hub assmy around to line things up, then take a punch, knock out old stud, and replace.

With drum brakes you migth have to take the drum off, but even thats a maybe, In most cars the stud/nut is nothing magical.

infact most of the power transmitted to the wheel/tire is done through the friction between the wheel and hub

I would just fix it myself and Bring the reciept to them and ask for reimbursement.

And for future reference, I'm reasonably sure that my car came with no-sieze on the lugnuts. Personally I put a very small amount of grease on them.

Thanks for all your help.

I took the car to my mechanic and had the problem fixed. $52.50 total. I took the damaged lug nut and receipt for repair to tire shop and they reimbursed me on the spot. Great lesson learned, I will decide who works on my car.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014