Good hair conditioner without alcohol?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
<snarky Something About Mary comment filter ON>

Can anyone recommend a good hair conditioner without alcohol, or with smaller amounts than usual? My hair is drying out and alcohol dries it even more. I found shampoo without alcohol (yay, Prell!) but just about every single conditioner on the shelf at Wally World had cetyl alcohol or a variant as the second ingredient, after water.

i was fixin to say beer

I've heard people use mayo link

post pics

I've been using Pantene Restoratives defrizz conditioner for a few years now and LOVE it. It did a great job keeping my long hair healthy before I chopped it.

Link

i use tomato sauce

i just looked and all of the conditioners in our house have it. it's a conspiracy! even the hair cholesterol i use even has alcohol in it. no wonder my hair is always so dry. the idea that alcohol could be to blame, never crossed my mind.

speaking of hair. i got my hair cut last week and the bitch chopped it off! i even gave her a picture of i wanted it and i think she just kept cutting and cutting until she couldn't cut anymore. now i have don johnson hair(only shorter). i'm too ashamed to even go outside. that's what i get for going to an AAFES hair salon, i guess....

hope this is the right thread this time...

kelchild said: i just looked and all of the conditioners in our house have it. it's a conspiracy! even the hair cholesterol i use even has alcohol in it. no wonder my hair is always so dry. the idea that alcohol could be to blame, never crossed my mind.

speaking of hair. i got my hair cut last week and the bitch chopped it off! i even gave her a picture of i wanted it and i think she just kept cutting and cutting until she couldn't cut anymore. now i have don johnson hair(only shorter). i'm too ashamed to even go outside. that's what i get for going to an AAFES hair salon, i guess....

I chopped mine too. We can be twins for halloween.

EVOO???

Try the Pureology line, you'll need to find a salon that sells it.

Please don't use Prell!!!! It is sooooo hard on your hair. It will strip out all the natural oils and moisture in your hair and can even turn you hair the color of the shampoo(if you're blond)!

I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.

HorB said: I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.It's not the alcohol in it that is drying her hair out, it's cheep quality products.

idohair said: HorB said: I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.It's not the alcohol in it that is drying her hair out, it's cheep quality products. How bad is Pantene Restoratives? It was one of the only products under $20 a bottle that would allow me to rinse the shampoo out when it was longer.

I use prell or pert about once a month to strip my hair- it is a heavy-duty detergent and after a few weeks can damage longer hair quite badly.

Have you tried aveda hair products?

FYI- "fatty alcohols" like stearyl alcohol and and cetyl alcohol actualy hydrate hair.

shopliftinginva said: idohair said: HorB said: I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.It's not the alcohol in it that is drying her hair out, it's cheep quality products. How bad is Pantene Restoratives? It was one of the only products under $20 a bottle that would allow me to rinse the shampoo out when it was longer.I thought you used Aveda? Use the shampure, it smells soooo good

idohair said: shopliftinginva said: idohair said: HorB said: I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.It's not the alcohol in it that is drying her hair out, it's cheep quality products. How bad is Pantene Restoratives? It was one of the only products under $20 a bottle that would allow me to rinse the shampoo out when it was longer.I thought you used Aveda? Use the shampure, it smells soooo good

I use Aveeda flax seed aloe gel. It's the only stuff that would tame my hair. I used to use salon products to wash and condition (I'm more concerned with conditioner, but like to use the same brand shampoo). I did a trial for the Pantene Restoratives and it leaves my hair feeling as good as the salon products ever did at a fraction of the price.

I'm not quite as worried now because I have FAR less hair than I did two days ago.

I switch back and forth between aveda and pantene for my very long hair. I like both

shopliftinginva said: idohair said: shopliftinginva said: idohair said: HorB said: I use Pureology. I would have recommended it, but there is alcohol in it. It doesn't dry out my hair though and it smells very nice.It's not the alcohol in it that is drying her hair out, it's cheep quality products. How bad is Pantene Restoratives? It was one of the only products under $20 a bottle that would allow me to rinse the shampoo out when it was longer.I thought you used Aveda? Use the shampure, it smells soooo good

I use Aveeda flax seed aloe gel. It's the only stuff that would tame my hair. I used to use salon products to wash and condition (I'm more concerned with conditioner, but like to use the same brand shampoo). I did a trial for the Pantene Restoratives and it leaves my hair feeling as good as the salon products ever did at a fraction of the price.

I'm not quite as worried now because I have FAR less hair than I did two days ago.
I've been using Enjoy Straightener at the salon and it works great for controlling crazy curls without being oily or sticky. It leaves the hair nice and soft and natural.

Can a straight male get in on this? My late fiancee used this horse shampoo and really liked it. Not sure it if has alcohol or not but all of the products get great reviews... here is the link for the conditioner. The shampoo has more reviews and likewise it gets good reviews as well. This used to be sold at WalMart. Not sure if it is these days.

RedLance said: Can a straight male get in on this? My late fiancee used this horse shampoo and really liked it. Not sure it if has alcohol or not but all of the products get great reviews... here is the link for the conditioner. The shampoo has more reviews and likewise it gets good reviews as well. This used to be sold at WalMart. Not sure if it is these days.

hardy har har. I'm a straight male TOO.

FrugalFreak said: RedLance said: Can a straight male get in on this? My late fiancee used this horse shampoo and really liked it. Not sure it if has alcohol or not but all of the products get great reviews... here is the link for the conditioner. The shampoo has more reviews and likewise it gets good reviews as well. This used to be sold at WalMart. Not sure if it is these days.

Yeah I know you are straight. (Oh crap, Sorry if my reply meant otherwise!)
So let me ask you this... man to man is it necessary to kill a helpless animal after replying to a 'female' thread? Please answer quick because there is a starving homeless kitten scratching at my door.

RedLance said: FrugalFreak said: RedLance said: Can a straight male get in on this? My late fiancee used this horse shampoo and really liked it. Not sure it if has alcohol or not but all of the products get great reviews... here is the link for the conditioner. The shampoo has more reviews and likewise it gets good reviews as well. This used to be sold at WalMart. Not sure if it is these days.

Yeah I know you are straight. (Oh crap, Sorry if my reply meant otherwise!)
So let me ask you this... man to man is it necessary to kill a helpless animal after replying to a 'female' thread? Please answer quick because there is a starving homeless kitten scratching at my door.

Leave the kitten alone. Scratch, belch, and watch 15 minutes of Nascar and you'll be good as new.

I use a leave-in conditioner (Redken Hair Butter, Oprah freebie) on my ends. Then I work a spoonfull of aloe gel through my hair, Aloe is a natural humectant, it attracts and holds moisture in the hair. I learned about it on a hair board, and have really noticed a difference. Any gel will do, even dollar store/wallyworld stuff. If you have long, thick hair, use more, short hair, use less. I have fine thin hair mid-back lenth, so a tablespoon is usually plenty.

Others like EVOO and almond and jojoba oils. I can't oil as it makes my babyfine hair limp. Oiling works better on people with darker hair shades, curls and thick strands. On them, it creates shine, as well as holding in moisture. Apply to damp hair. Ony my hair, I end up with limp blonde strands, hence the aloe.

Also, what discusbabe said about the alcohols used in hair products is correct. You should avoid styling aids that contain isoproply alcohol in them however, that one will dry hair. The products use it as it evaporates quickly, leaving the polymers and silicones left behind to dry quickly.

I find most retail name-brands do as good a job as salon ones. The exceptions are the really cheap ones like Lander, Alberto VO5 and Suave. I have found them to be the worst. Lander is too watery, the other two use really cheap, harsh detergents in them. The P&G brands, Sunsilk, Garnier, John Frieda, St Ives, Tressemme, Nexxuss, etc. do a decent job. I like to treat myself at least monthly to a salon brand like Redken, Paul Mitchell, and Matrix.

Of course, everything I use has been stuff I've gotten free. I'm still using poo and condish from giveaways I've won. I have 2 Matrix hair kit samplers, full-size and travel-size Paul Mitchell. Still left from giveways is Kiss My Face and St Ives. And tons of samples and trial-size. There are statistics that show switching brands is actually better than sticking to one. Because of FW, I haven't bought hair care stuff for quite a few years now. Since it's just me, stuff lasts forever.

At the risk of losing a testicle by replying here, my wife uses Pantene Classic Care conditioner, with the blue cap. She only uses Pantene, the Target "clone" version doesn't work as well apparently. I pick up armfuls when it's on special or we find a coupon.

I use Chi and Tigi, but I agree with SLV. I got a sample of the Pantene Resoratives and it was not bad.

kelchild said: i just looked and all of the conditioners in our house have it. it's a conspiracy! even the hair cholesterol i use even has alcohol in it. no wonder my hair is always so dry. the idea that alcohol could be to blame, never crossed my mind.

Dammit, Kel....why did you have to post this? For the first time EVER, I am going to a salon and getting my hair cut and styled. Tired of the dead dog that taken up residence on my head. I have not had my hair cut in-well, a long farking time. The last time I recall was about 10 years ago. My hair is down past my ass, but unhealthy and dry. I'm anxious and nervous and really, really hope the stylist (is that right, Idohair?) does what I ask of her. My appoinment isn't until next Thursday-I guess I still have time to chicken out.

I use B&B and it doesn't dry my hair out, lasts a very long time.

When my hair was long I used Humectin which has a lot of waxiness (liquid paraffin) to it. My hair is super-coarse and strong, though. For finer hair I would imagine it flattens it out. Nexxus I have seen it recently at Costco and Walgreens but it was originally only sold in salons.

Thanks to everyone, females and *straight* males alike. And wow, SweetClover, thanks so much for the great info!

I do seem to remember Prell is a tough shampoo, from years back. I certainly don't need that right now! I have been using the Pantene Breakage Defense conditioner and a couple others in the Restoratives line, but just am not getting what I think I should be out of them. I will certainly try some of your recommendations!

I was using K-Pak before, and it seemed to do well for the conditioning aspect, but it made my hair limp and not have much volume over time. I guess that would have been the time for Prell, to strip it out and start over!

Jasons Biotin shampoo and conditioner are great.

Not a conditioner per se, but "Silk Remedy" by Farouk is wonderful for taming dry, flyaway hair. It used to be available just at beauty salons but now drugstores carry it.

Gennyfer said: Not a conditioner per se, but "Silk Remedy" by Farouk is wonderful for taming dry, flyaway hair. It used to be available just at beauty salons but now drugstores carry it.Costco also has it.

qcumber98 said: i use tomato sauce

I used tomato sauce once.

On a dog after it decided it wanted to become friendly with a skunk.

The skunk did not want to become friends....

RedLance said: My late fiancee used this horse shampoo and really liked it.

Your late fiancee didn't happen to be SJP?!?

"No officer, I haven't been drinking, but my hair must have absorbed some alcohol from my hair conditioner."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014