• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
link

SEATTLE -- Seattle-based Starbucks is making fast changes -- after being accused of breaking the law with an offer to voters.

Prior to Monday afternoon, Starbucks was promoting an ad that said anyone who says enters a Starbucks on Election Day and says that they voted would get a free cup of tall coffee.

Election officials for the state of Washington told KIRO 7 that rewarding voters with free coffee is illegal.
Edit by Moderator: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Isn't giving an "I voted" sticker a reward??

No good deed goes unpunished.

Then I guess Ben & Jerry are in trouble as well??

I thought an illegal was a sick bird?

momgoingbroke said: Then I guess Ben & Jerry are in trouble as well??Sounds like it is related to a state law in WA.

If you already have or are going to vote, you can wear your “I voted” sticker and get the following.

Krispy Kreme is offering a free star shaped donut with red/white/blue sprinkles.

http://www.krispykreme.com/images/hot_vote_now08_pop.jpg

Ben and Jerries is offering a free scoop of ice cream between 5 and 8pm.

http://www.benjerry.com/features/i_voted/

Starbucks is offering a free Tall coffee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2J8KJDsqqY

LOL, they are trying to finally get the 18-24 years olds to vote because they are easily manipulated but they historically vote in very small numbers. They didn't turn out last time even after rock the vote and all the other bribes to vote. Free coffee is good, but Charbucks coffee isn't very good, got to sugar it up just to get its burned taste to back off a little. FYI, black coffee shouldn't taste burned.

clearanceman said: LOL, they are trying to finally get the 18-24 years olds to vote because they are easily manipulated but they historically vote in very small numbers. They didn't turn out last time even after rock the vote and all the other bribes to vote. Free coffee is good, but Charbucks coffee isn't very good, got to sugar it up just to get its burned taste to back off a little. FYI, black coffee shouldn't taste burned. ill have you know, their iced coffee is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corganiacs said: clearanceman said: LOL, they are trying to finally get the 18-24 years olds to vote because they are easily manipulated but they historically vote in very small numbers. They didn't turn out last time even after rock the vote and all the other bribes to vote. Free coffee is good, but Charbucks coffee isn't very good, got to sugar it up just to get its burned taste to back off a little. FYI, black coffee shouldn't taste burned. ill have you know, their iced coffee is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not really, but their frappacinos are.

Corganiacs said: clearanceman said: LOL, they are trying to finally get the 18-24 years olds to vote because they are easily manipulated but they historically vote in very small numbers. They didn't turn out last time even after rock the vote and all the other bribes to vote. Free coffee is good, but Charbucks coffee isn't very good, got to sugar it up just to get its burned taste to back off a little. FYI, black coffee shouldn't taste burned. ill have you know, their iced coffee is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's because it's all sugared up. Try some of their coffee black. Yuk.

momgoingbroke said: Then I guess Ben & Jerry are in trouble as well??
They could be. Ben & Jerry was the first store (IIRC) to offer such a promotion this year, and there was an article shortly after it was made public stating that the only way they may skirt the law is by not actually verifying whether someone has voted or not. That's why you'll see a lot of these promotions now go from displaying your "I Voted" sticker to merely saying that you've voted.

I'd link the article, but I'm late to the polls. Maybe later today.

clearanceman said: Corganiacs said: clearanceman said: LOL, they are trying to finally get the 18-24 years olds to vote because they are easily manipulated but they historically vote in very small numbers. They didn't turn out last time even after rock the vote and all the other bribes to vote. Free coffee is good, but Charbucks coffee isn't very good, got to sugar it up just to get its burned taste to back off a little. FYI, black coffee shouldn't taste burned. ill have you know, their iced coffee is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's because it's all sugared up. Try some of their coffee black. Yuk.
um, i drink their iced coffee black, with a lot of splenda.

so all artificially sugared up?

Just went and got me my free coffee, hopefully just the first in a long line of freebies I will now be able to get

scott1961 said: Just went and got me my free coffee, hopefully just the first in a long line of freebies I will now be able to get
You're still not getting a stimulus check....

kamalktk said: scott1961 said: Just went and got me my free coffee, hopefully just the first in a long line of freebies I will now be able to getYou're still not getting a stimulus check.... He got stimulated when he cast his ballot...

kamalktk said: scott1961 said: Just went and got me my free coffee, hopefully just the first in a long line of freebies I will now be able to get
You're still not getting a stimulus check....

Wanna bet? But I am pretty excited about the free $700 I got this morning. Applied the other day for Citi 6 month 4% CD and funded $70k from my Citi card. Went through as purchase and a quick $700, Tax free makes it even better

the guy behind me got his coffee before hand and had coffee breath while waiting in line

DangerBoy said: the guy behind me got his coffee before hand and had coffee breath while waiting in line
Was probably his second voting of the day

... and in the end, Starbucks gets the last laugh with tons of free publicity.

The original offer was bringing attention to Starbucks.
Someone declaring the move was "illegal" created bewilderment and outrage.
Starbuck's amended offer is now all over the place.

I heard about it here at FW. Guy in front of me saw it on Saturday Night Live. I never saw so many people in line for a free Starbucks coffee day. Everyone in line had their voting receipt all ready to go.

edit

HA! My DD gave out a free small hot coffee to anyone with the "I voted" sticker on. I don't drink hot coffee during the day, but picked one up and gave it to one of the teachers. I drank my two medium iced coffees while working on the flag wall.

North Carolina-based Krispy Kreme (NYSE: KKD) is giving away star-shaped doughnuts, and Vermont-based Ben & Jerry's is offering free scoops of its ice cream on Tuesday. But, those companies do not require people to say they voted in order to get their treats.

All customers at Ben & Jerry's between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday will be given free scoops.

Krispy Kreme asks that customers at its 85 company-owned stores mention its promotion to get their free doughnut. Some of its 145 franchisees are also participating.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014