• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
If you purchase a used car from a private party, are you really supposed to obtain new plates before driving it home (would be without plates) or is it fine to drive it home as long as it's going DIRECTLY home? If it matters, I would be buying the car in Iowa and I live in Illinois, and it would be around a 140 mile trip, mostly interstate.

I searched the Illinois DMV website and found nothing. If I don't get an answer, I'll wait until the DMV opens and ask them.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Cannot drive without plates, Also what about insurance?

When my dad bought his car, he used his plates from old car for the travel. He then gave his plates back to DMV after the new plates came in. That's probably not the best solution though..

KayK said: When my dad bought his car, he used his plates from old car for the travel. He then gave his plates back to DMV after the new plates came in. That's probably not the best solution though..
That can get you arrested for illegally attaching plates

Related, but different question I always wanted to know. Do dealers have an exception to the license plate things, since they always just put the same magnetic plate on whatever car.

richfish13 said: Related, but different question I always wanted to know. Do dealers have an exception to the license plate things, since they always just put the same magnetic plate on whatever car.
Yes, they are like repair plates.

scott1961 said: Cannot drive without plates, Also what about insurance?My insurance automatically covers any vehicle I purchase for 30 days from the date of purchase.

I'd check with your DMV's website. I always thought you had a window to register the car and putting old plates on the new car was the norm. When I sold my car recently, it was a first car for a teen and I let them take the plates and return them to me. Of course, DH knows the family so that wasn't an issue.

Yes, you can drive without plates. You normally have a 30 day window to get your car registered (I'd check with the Illinois DMV). You can (and probably will be) pulled over at least once by a police officer for driving without plates. As long as you have proof of insurance, the bill of sale, and a copy of the title (don't keep the original in the car), you are fine.

Putting your old plates on the new car is generally illegal, unless you live in a state whereby the plates stay with the owner and not the car. Also, when registering the car you might be required to have them run a title check ($10 and they just check that the VIN on the car matches the title) and/or a smog check.

shopliftinginva said: I'd check with your DMV's website. I always thought you had a window to register the car and putting old plates on the new car was the norm. When I sold my car recently, it was a first car for a teen and I let them take the plates and return them to me. Of course, DH knows the family so that wasn't an issue.I thought they would have some sort of little window also. I found that Wisconsin allows 2 days, but nothing for Illinois so far. I'm guessing if I have a bill of sale and a copy of my insurance information I should at least get off with a warning, right?

PooDonkey said: Yes, you can drive without plates. You normally have a 30 day window to get your car registered (I'd check with the Illinois DMV). You can (and probably will be) pulled over at least once by a police officer for driving without plates. As long as you have proof of insurance, the bill of sale, and a copy of the title (don't keep the original in the car), you are fine.Alright, thanks. I'll take a trip to the DMV in a while to make sure.

thumpergeek said: PooDonkey said: Yes, you can drive without plates. You normally have a 30 day window to get your car registered (I'd check with the Illinois DMV). You can (and probably will be) pulled over at least once by a police officer for driving without plates. As long as you have proof of insurance, the bill of sale, and a copy of the title (don't keep the original in the car), you are fine.Alright, thanks. I'll take a trip to the DMV in a while to make sure. if you are going in, get something in writing from them.

I know some states issue temp plates for out of state buyers - one of my coworkers bought a Jeep from an auction in PA and had paper PA out of state paper tags on it for a few days.

I can't believe no one has asked this yet:

What are you getting?

spitfiresuz said: I can't believe no one has asked this yet:

What are you getting?
it's thumper. It's going to be some beat up something that he'll be posting about having to fix a week from now.

MadAnthony said: I know some states issue temp plates for out of state buyers - one of my coworkers bought a Jeep from an auction in PA and had paper PA out of state paper tags on it for a few days.

That's what I did. I got temporary plates in SC and drive the car to MD the same day. The SC temp plates would have lasted 30 days, but I got MD plates on the car within a week anyway.

shopliftinginva said: spitfiresuz said: I can't believe no one has asked this yet:

What are you getting?
it's thumper. It's going to be some beat up something that he'll be posting about having to fix a week from now.

Or something he's buying to take the engine out of and put in a beat-up something he's been posting about having to fix for weeks now.

Edit for schpelyng...

shopliftinginva said: spitfiresuz said: I can't believe no one has asked this yet:

What are you getting?

'93 Civic hatch with 90k miles on the engine, new tires, little rust (all Civics around here have some), comes with patch panels, and I have all new suspension bushings, shocks and springs, LCAs and a sway bar to put on, as an upgrade.
I never leave anything original. Even if I were to buy a new car, I'd have to change at least some stuff just to make it feel like it's actually mine.
There really hasn't been too many repairs I've had to make on my vehicles. I got my truck free because it was a heap and I couldn't really afford something better, so it wasn't really by choice. My first Civic just needed axles, brake pads and an alternator belt. Woo, a wopping $200 for parts. I spent more on my radio than on repairs. Then I got another Civic free and wanted to just pull the engine, part it out and scrap the rest, but my dad wanted me to keep it and practice body work on it since it wasn't even all that bad once some new metal was bolted on.

Or something he's buying to take the engine out of and put in a beat-up something he's been posting about having to fix for weeks now.
My 4dr would be easy to fix, but I hate the body style and already have an engine, just don't have the time when it's warm enough or a warm enough place to work when I have the time to fix it.

Iowa requires "IN TRANSIT" sign with the date of purchase. We've done it with a sheet of paper. Yes, you may get pulled-over in Iowa, however, since you just bought the car, make sure you have a written receipt, the Title (you are driving it home from the purchase) & proof of insurance. (Your proof of insurance from your old car may work, since this is a recent purchase.) That much will get you out of Iowa. (We have 30 days to register the vehicle)

Oh, and remember Iowa doesn't require vehicle inspection to get the vehicle plated. So, if your state requires it, you may or may not have to fix something.

mewhojen said: Iowa requires "IN TRANSIT" sign with the date of purchase. We've done it with a sheet of paper. Yes, you may get pulled-over in Iowa, however, since you just bought the car, make sure you have a written receipt, the Title (you are driving it home from the purchase) & proof of insurance. (Your proof of insurance from your old car may work, since this is a recent purchase.) That much will get you out of Iowa. (We have 30 days to register the vehicle)

Oh, and remember Iowa doesn't require vehicle inspection to get the vehicle plated. So, if your state requires it, you may or may not have to fix something.
Thanks, I think I should be able to get the car no problem now. I live litterally like 3 minutes from the Iowa border. And no, we don't require inspection. Long story short, I'm sure it wouldn't pass...

here you have 10 days to obtain tag/register. and with blank date on the bill of sale, that could be when you have money.

In MO, it's illegal to operate a vehicle without at least temp tags, period. A lot of times the cop will cut you sme slack on a car you just bought, but they don't have to.

How can you buy a car without plates? Wouldn't that be a clue that maybe your car is hot or something?

In Calif, we have plates but also a small sticker you put on it to prove it's registered. You need that to be up to date too.

handyguy said: How can you buy a car without plates? Wouldn't that be a clue that maybe your car is hot or something?

In Calif, we have plates but also a small sticker you put on it to prove it's registered. You need that to be up to date too.

Yeah, but the person selling the car keeps their plate, the buyer needs to provide their own.

FrugalFreak said: here you have 10 days to obtain tag/register. and with blank date on the bill of sale, that could be when you have money.
Here, as in Illinois? Awesome. I went to the DMV a couple weeks after buying my current car and didn't have any trouble. Of course, I wasn't driving it yet.

I got the car, and drove it home. Not a single problem until I get 1/2 mile from home. I was about to wind it out around a corner, but I see a cop car pull out in front of me. That was pretty damn lucky, considering how I already had some fun with my new toy. Passing people in 5th gear is nice, no downshifting.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014