Gatorade = Antifreeze

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
So I put a quart of Gatorade in the deep freeze a while ago to have with my Subway. I of course spaced it and it was in there a couple of hours. I expected a hideously distorted bottle at least but I was shocked that it wasn't even frozen, not even slushy! It was a little hard to drink because it was so cold, way below freezing, wow!
Hmmm, who knew?

Gatorade is full of salts. Salt water has a lower the freezing point than pure water. So it makes sense.

kamalktk said: Gatorade is full of salts. Salt water has a lower the freezing point than pure water. So it makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I thought, sodium content, but isn't the freezing point of salt water ~ 28F? My deep freeze is around 5F.

well, my gatorade in my small office beverage freezer DID freeze ... well at least part of it froze and the gatorade had much more flavor w/ the water in it being ice.

edited to say that my husband put them too close to the back of the fridge.

formattc said: kamalktk said: Gatorade is full of salts. Salt water has a lower the freezing point than pure water. So it makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I thought, sodium content, but isn't the freezing point of salt water ~ 28F? My deep freeze is around 5F.

Maybe the Gatorade didn't reach 5F in the time it was in the deep freeze? You got it at the right temp.

More people buy it cause it has electrolytes than they would if they just called it salts.

formattc said: kamalktk said: Gatorade is full of salts. Salt water has a lower the freezing point than pure water. So it makes sense.

Deep freeze at 5F is NOT a deep freeze.

A conventional freezer should be at 0F.

A deep freeze should be -10F or below.

Source

TheEgg said: formattc said: kamalktk said: Gatorade is full of salts. Salt water has a lower the freezing point than pure water. So it makes sense.

Deep freeze at 5F is NOT a deep freeze.

A conventional freezer should be at 0F.

A deep freeze should be -10F or below.

Source

Yeah, I was being conservative, I've never actually stuck a probe in it. It's the upright kind where the shelves have the coils built in, no evap fan.

test?

must be you. /shrugs/

I wonder how many probes would be considered liberal?

Was it unopened? I've had this happen on a few bottles of gatorade as well:
Explanation (I know...Yahoo answers)
Video

Aren't Gatorade and Propel made from the same chemicals? My Propel freezes!

Senturon said: Was it unopened? I've had this happen on a few bottles of gatorade as well:
Video

Dude, sick, I'm going to have to try that now!
Thanks!

PS> Yeah, an unopened quart of lemonade flavored Gatorade.

Senturon said: Was it unopened? I've had this happen on a few bottles of gatorade as well:
Video

I thought of that too when I googled to find the freezing point of Gatorade, but formattc says he drank it so it didn't freeze on open.

kamalktk said: Senturon said: Was it unopened? I've had this happen on a few bottles of gatorade as well:
Video

I thought of that too when I googled to find the freezing point of Gatorade, but formattc says he drank it so it didn't freeze on open.

Well, I did let it sit for probably five minutes before I opened it, I don't know if that makes a difference.

kamalktk said: Senturon said: Was it unopened? I've had this happen on a few bottles of gatorade as well:
Video

I believe so long as you're careful and don't agitate the molecules it can stay in liquid form...I had it happen to me once when I took a sip and nearly froze my throat, put it down on the table and the reaction began...no more gatorade to drink

Brawndo (31.18kB)
Disclaimer
handyguy said: More people buy it cause it has electrolytes than they would if they just called it salts.

Obligatoty Idiocracy movie reference:

BTW, I forgot to add that I know the liquid inside was below freezing because the condensate on the outside of the bottle immediately turned to frost and stayed that way till I drank some of it.

I love freezing my powerade. I let it get halfway frozen then throw it against the ground several times and it turns into a nice thirst quenching slushie.

When it is REALLY hot, that sushie ice will cool you down quick.

formattc said: stuck a probe in it

*sigh*
Damn topic alerts!

You're an Arkansas fan with a "stuck a probe in it" topic alert? So many things are now made clear...

Geaux Tigers!

Wineaux said: You're an Arkansas fan with a "stuck a probe in it" topic alert? So many things are now made clear...

Geaux Tigers!

It is clear how you are confused with her topic alerts, Go Alabama & Saban! Roll Tide Roll.

When i read the thread title, I was expecting this thread to be about the taste of Gatorade.

FrugalFreak said: Wineaux said: You're an Arkansas fan with a "stuck a probe in it" topic alert? So many things are now made clear...

Geaux Tigers!

It is clear how you are confused with her topic alerts, Go Alabama & Saban! Roll Tide Roll.

Nick Satan you say?

Just be careful the next time you play another bush league Louisiana football time...

It's going to be a fun season this year!

So, in a Kumbaya moment, when the heck is the SEC going to get its due? We've got the toughest conference in college football, and we still are the afterthoughts when it comes to the sports writers, etc who can't get over their Pac-10 and Big-10 love fest from the 70's.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014