• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
New policy as of 11/1/2009:
Samís Club will accept electronics returns within 90 days on items including televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, projectors and iPods. All member electronics purchases made prior to Nov. 1, 2009 will be grandfathered under the existing return policy.

Has anyone had success returning an older tv (1 year or older) to Sam's after 11/1/09?

Link to New Sams policy

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
why would you return a 1 year or older tv?

shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?

If it breaks down.

Zuke76 said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?

If it breaks down.

The bigger issue on why both Sams and Costco got rid of these return policies for electronics is people were returning fully functional electronics after several years and then getting a newer version with the store credit they received from the return. This way they always had the latest technology without having to pay more money. Typical circumstance where those that abused the system ruined it for everyone else.

Zuke76 said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?

If it breaks down.
if your tv legitimately was a piece of crap and died in a year, would you feel the need to post about the return policy before contacting the store?

The change is a good thing. Should keep prices lower in the long run, not having to support the fraudulent return of some abusive club members. 90 days is plenty for a store, if the mfg warranty is longer it should be covered by them, not the store.

If your tv legitimately was a piece of crap and died in a year, would you feel the need to post about the return policy before contacting the store?

#1) To inform others about the policy change.
#2) I don't want to lug in a huge TV if they won't live up to the return policy that was in effect at the time of the sale.

I can understand letting others know about the new policy, but no where do you mention that anything is wrong with your current 1+ year old tv. So, if you are just looking to upgrade your model, you are the reason for the policy change. You do know you can pick up the phone and call he store, right?

I can understand letting others know about the new policy, but no where do you mention that anything is wrong with your current 1+ year old tv. So, if you are just looking to upgrade your model, you are the reason for the policy change. You do know you can pick up the phone and call he store, right?

Costco members continue to ruin it for everyone.

shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?Because its warranty requires shipping the product at ridiculous expense to a service center with a reputation for poor repairs and slow service? A TV should easily last 5 years before needing repair.

larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?Because its warranty requires shipping the product at ridiculous expense to a service center with a reputation for poor repairs and slow service? A TV should easily last 5 years before needing repair.
Could you point me to the part of OPs post that says there is anything wrong with the tv and that he's trying to avoid shipping it somewhere?

That's what I thought.

qcumber98 said: Costco members continue to ruin it for everyone.

What is the costco policy?

Don't buy a Vizio TV. Buy one from a top-tier manufacturer.

Sprintx said: qcumber98 said: Costco members continue to ruin it for everyone.

What is the costco policy?
It's the same as Sams now.

overclock said: Don't buy a Vizio TV. Buy one from a top-tier manufacturer.

They all are crap, It's a hit or miss game if it fails before 6 months. 1 YR is a lifetime to these manufacturers now. The tv's are priced warranty/cost ratio but in reality we get less TV for more money. Pretty soon everything we buy will need to be replenished monthly or so and what we get will get smaller.

shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?

If you are a "renter"?

Hopefully they dont start charging a restocking fee for open items.

I don't understand why the return policy is 90 days. One month is more than enough.

Sam's sales guy "you do know if your not 100% satisfied you can return it any time, just keep your receipt".
So that's why I paid to be a member and why I purchased the TV at Sam's. A $2500 TV should last longer than 18 months.

Falcon27 said: Sam's sales guy "you do know if your not 100% satisfied you can return it any time, just keep your receipt".
So that's why I paid to be a member and why I purchased the TV at Sam's. A $2500 TV should last longer than 18 months.

Take it up with the manufacturer; Sam's Club is not Rent-A-Center.

CompUSSR's 14-day return policy is the slippery slope we are headed.

mapatsfan said: Falcon27 said: Sam's sales guy "you do know if your not 100% satisfied you can return it any time, just keep your receipt".

Take it up with the manufacturer; Sam's Club is not Rent-A-Center.

Out of Mfg. warranty, they will do nothing, except fix it for more than a new one cost's now.
Again Sam's policy was 100% Satisfaction! It's like an extended warranty, it was their policy they should honor it.

So return it under the grandfather clause, sounds like you're covered. It's just that renting electronics from Sam's ended 11/1/09.

shopliftinginva said: larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?Because its warranty requires shipping the product at ridiculous expense to a service center with a reputation for poor repairs and slow service? A TV should easily last 5 years before needing repair.Could you point me to the part of OPs post that says there is anything wrong with the tv and that he's trying to avoid shipping it somewhere?

That's what I thought.
Could you point me to the part of OPs (sic) post that says that most people who return TVs to Sam's Club or Costco have no problems at all with them? That's what I thought. I can't think of anybody doing that unless they were reckless with their money or if the prices of new models was much, much cheaper. The first reason is unlikely because members of warehouse clubs tend to be affluent tightwads. So why do members return TVs unnecessarily?

overclock said: Don't buy a Vizio TV. Buy one from a top-tier manufacturer.But Vizio is cheap and has had a pretty good reliability record, maybe because they're just a kit assembler that gets its major components from top-tier manufacturers. In manufacturing, there are lots of kit assemblers, one of the biggest being Panasonic's plant in Illinois that was taken over from Motorola. There are even car factories that operate that way.

airtommy said: I don't understand why the return policy is 90 days. One month is more than enough.Not really because it can take longer than that to get the product repaired.

qcumber98 said: CompUSSR's 14-day return policy is the slippery slope we are headed.It kept them from going bankrupt!

i'll stick to best buy!

larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?Because its warranty requires shipping the product at ridiculous expense to a service center with a reputation for poor repairs and slow service? A TV should easily last 5 years before needing repair.Could you point me to the part of OPs post that says there is anything wrong with the tv and that he's trying to avoid shipping it somewhere?

That's what I thought.
Could you point me to the part of OPs (sic) post that says that most people who return TVs to Sam's Club or Costco have no problems at all with them? That's what I thought. I can't think of anybody doing that unless they were reckless with their money or if the prices of new models was much, much cheaper. The first reason is unlikely because members of warehouse clubs tend to be affluent tightwads. So why do members return TVs unnecessarily?

There have been many posts over the years here from members who used this return policy to buy, say, a $2000 tv, and two years later, when $2000 buys a whole lot more tv for your money, return it under this policy and upgrade their model.

If it wasn't a problem, the policy wouldn't be changed (this policy was changed at Costco a few years ago for the same reason).

shopliftinginva said: larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: larrymoencurly said: shopliftinginva said: why would you return a 1 year or older tv?Because its warranty requires shipping the product at ridiculous expense to a service center with a reputation for poor repairs and slow service? A TV should easily last 5 years before needing repair.Could you point me to the part of OPs post that says there is anything wrong with the tv and that he's trying to avoid shipping it somewhere?

That's what I thought.

There have been many posts over the years here from members who used this return policy to buy, say, a $2000 tv, and two years later, when $2000 buys a whole lot more tv for your money, return it under this policy and upgrade their model.

If it wasn't a problem, the policy wouldn't be changed (this policy was changed at Costco a few years ago for the same reason).
I didn't ask about the many posts over the years but only about OP's post -- you know, the one you pointed out. So what about it?

larrymoencurly said: I didn't ask about the many posts over the years but only about OP's post -- you know, the one you pointed out. So what about it?

Well, all it did was inform us of the new policy, that older purchases were grandfathered in, and he wanted to return a tv that was 1+ years old, with no mention that there was anything wrong with it.

Because of the history of abuse by others, and the fact that he's mentioning the new policy, it sounded like he was trying to return to upgrade his model before it was too late.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014