How do ebayers make money on $1 items from Hong Kong?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Maybe I am missing something but I have bought and sold on eBay for at least 10 years now. How is it that they can ship phone/digital accessories for 99 cents including shipping from Hong Kong? Even if they get the accessories for almost nothing, shipping from Hong Kong to U.S. canít be cheap. This is not even taking into consideration eBay / paypal fees which are not cheap. Fatwalleter forever!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Green because I just purchased a pair of SATA cables on eBay for 99 cents and was wondering the exact same thing.

There are many 1 cent items, with free shipping. There has been discussion that the government is paying them to sell items, even at a loss.

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed that the Chinese gov't subsidizes a majority (if not all) of the shipping costs.

You probably overpaid!
previous discussion

vcxzfdsa said: You probably overpaid!
previous discussion

As you said in the previous post: "They are basically buying feedback and building up the account so they can sell some other gadgets."

This is very true - recently a seller in Hong Kong on eBay was selling 32gb "authentic" Sony PSP memory chips for only $19 delivered to the US. This is a very low price for "authentic" Sony chips. He had over 1,000 positive feedback. It turns out the memory chips were fakes with no memory and he was kicked off eBay. I bet he made a lot of money selling fakes before he was booted. He probably will surface with a new eBay ID and start over again. Buyer beware. Text

If eBay was truly interested in earning the trust of buyers to lure them to their marketplace, they need to make it clear and easy to distinguish US and foreign sellers. They currently offer a "US" tick mark on the left side of the screen, but most people don't know to check that.

MaxRC said: If eBay was truly interested in earning the trust of buyers to lure them to their marketplace, they need to make it clear and easy to distinguish US and foreign sellers. They currently offer a "US" tick mark on the left side of the screen, but most people don't know to check that.

The item location is clearly listed on the auction. And the Chinese and Hong Kong sellers don't usually try to hide their location. They forewarn potential customers that it may take 3-4 business WEEKS for an item to arrive.

I agree that for the most part the chinese and hk sellers behave well. But as a matter of fact, there are more issues with international transactions than domestic. And since eBay has made buyer satisfaction a fundamental basis upon which they have implemented the recent slew of anti-seller policies, it is reasonable to suggest that promoting domestic sellers will contribute towards that goal.

What most Ebayers don`t know is China/Hong Kong shipping to the US is very cheap because the China government pays for it, so if your a seller in China shipping to the USA is cheaper then shipping something from NY to California, thats a major advantage as why Hong Kong/China sellers have a advantage over USA/Canada and UK sellers.

Here is a seller that has built his feedback on small items. Now he is selling hundreds of calculators for under $50, all of them are more than $150 new. Soon he will disappear with the money. Buyers will be SOL.
http://shop.ebay.com/meilitianshi1882008

DealMayhem said: Here is a seller that has built his feedback on small items. Now he is selling hundreds of calculators for under $50, all of them are more than $150 new. Soon he will disappear with the money. Buyers will be SOL.
http://shop.ebay.com/meilitianshi1882008

Yep, especially since he's saying that you need to wait 25-35 days for your item:
"Time: (by airmail to worldwide) 25-35 days arrive"

To get back to the OP's question they are selling items that for the most part cost only a few cents to make. I have seen some of these cables in the dollar store so we know it can be shipped here in bulk for less than a dollar. The real question comes down to individual packaging and how it can be done that cheaply. I can accept the Chinese government subsidizing shiping costs on their boat or plane but I take issue with probably how little they are paying the US government to deliver it accross the country. We have international agreements to deliver each others packages but I am sure we are being abused by the flood of these cheap shipments. The US goverment should require payment from the Chinese shipper that equals the cost for a citizen to ship the same package from port of entry to its final destination. If it costs me $1.50 to ship a cable across the country then they should pay that too.

they don't money
some sell for feedback

funggorgor said: they don't money
some sell for feedback

they need to do way instain mother

Fungy is back!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014