• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Seems like with about 1/3 of the eBay auctions I've won from sellers from China and Hong Kong over the past few years - for small electronics items like cables, adapters, memory card readers, flash drives, and fancy stone/semi-precious gemstone/mineral beads, mostly sub-$5 items - the items have never arrived. I complain to the sellers and I get some pidgin response about "Give time - auction say up to 30, 40 business day to ship" with the seller clearly hoping to get me to delay filing a claim until after the 45 day dispute period expires. Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing?

I've been telling the sellers after 30 days that they will need to re-ship, warning that that I will be filing a dispute with eBay around day 40, but will ask that eBay defer doing anything about the dispute until day 55 or so to allow time for the re-shipped item to arrive; I will dismiss the claim if the 2nd item arrives. In my experience, everything I've ordered from a CH or HK seller that has arrived has done so within 10 to 22 days -I don't think I've ever received an item from Asia that took longer than 22 days and if it hasn't arrived after 3.5 weeks, it isn't going to arrive.

I think a lot of these Asian sellers of very inexpensive items are deliberately failing to ship a significant portion of their auctions, hoping to hide behind buyer apathy if the item is only a few dollars and hoping to string unhappy buyers along until after the 45 day dispute period expires. I've been leaving negative feedback for those who don't ship and don't promptly refund, along with dozens of others, but it seems that if no more than 1.5% of buyers leave negative feedback, eBay leaves them alone.

I guess the solution is to click the US Only option under "location." Some of these small items, though, are either more than double the price from US sellers or just aren't available from US sellers.

What are your thoughts and experiences on this issue?

Member Summary

I have bought many things from China and while shipping is very slow I have never had a product not arrive.

However, several items I have received were either the wrong item or did not work.

You will find if you file a SNAD dispute on eBay you will lose. You will lose because: the seller will supply an address only in Chinese characters (the USPS will not accept address using non-latin characters, and it would be very unlikely I could hand write a series of Chinese characters without error), secondly you will be required to return the item with tracking. Tracking to China is prohibitively expensive. eBay does not care when you complain and will let the Chinese seller scam you. eBay suggested I use Google translate to translate the Chinese address into English.

If the item is available on Deal Extreme (or a similar site) you are better off buying there. Deal Extreme will stand behind their products if there is a problem, eBay will not.

The last SNAD dispute I had eBay refunded my entire purchase price and shipping too (roughly $18 + $11 S&H) without requiring me to ship the item back to the dishonest seller (in the US, not a foreign country).

I've purchased many many times on eBay from sellers located in HK or China...I would say about 98% of them came.

100% of my cheap items have arrived from China. BUT, 90% were unusable and every time I contact the Chinese seller, they are always apologetic and refund my money instantly without it ever being shipped back. It ranged from $1-$20.

100% of my items arrived from China or Hong Kong. Most of them actually got here within 2 weeks. They are usually small and fit inside padded envelopes. I have like 99 cents iPhone charging cable free shipping from Hong Kong sitting on my desk still working great from 2 years ago. If I don't get an item after 30 days, I would definitely leave them negative feedback.

The latest item I had in dispute that was supposedly reshipped (a fancy set of mineral/stone beads) finally arrived Monday, via Registered Mail, postmarked from Hong Kong 4/28/12. I had to drive down to the post office yesterday and wait around for the postal clerk to find the keys to the locked Registered Mail cabinet, then hunt through the cabinet for the package, then get me to sign several electronic boxes acknowledging receipt. I wonder how much the Chinese government-subsidized mail is costing the USPS.

Never have problem buying from Hong Kong or China. I've been doing it for years.

I have had mostly postive with Chinease but a couple bad transactions.

I have ordered at least 100 things from sellers in China and Hong Kong. Only one the package never arrived; however, they sent another which did arrive.

Recently things I've ordered arrive very fast, usually withing a week. I don't know how they do it. The shipping cost is higher than that of the item, yet they offer free shipping. Full online tracking is also provided.
Somebody is subsidizing shipping and I hope it's not the USPS, I know they have some sort of agreement with the Hong Kong Post.

It's seems good for the consumer, but in the end it will really hurt domestic sellers, there's no way they can compete with an Asian seller when the prices as so much lower and delivery time will be basically the same.

I have ordered at least 100 things from sellers in China and Hong Kong. Only one the package never arrived; however, they sent another which did arrive.

Recently things I've ordered arrive very fast, usually withing a week. I don't know how they do it. The shipping cost is higher than that of the item, yet they offer free shipping. Full online tracking is also provided.
Somebody is subsidizing shipping and I hope it's not the USPS, I know they have some sort of agreement with the Hong Kong Post.

It's seems good for the consumer, but in the end it will really hurt domestic sellers, there's no way they can compete with an Asian seller when the prices as so much lower and delivery time will be basically the same.

I have ordered at least 100 things from sellers in China and Hong Kong. Only one package never arrived; however, they sent another which did arrive.

Recently things I've ordered arrive very fast, usually within a week. I don't know how they do it. The shipping cost is higher than that of the item, yet they offer free shipping. Full online tracking is also provided.

It's seems good for the consumer, but in the end it will really hurt domestic sellers and the economy, there's no way they can compete with an Asian seller when the prices as so much lower and delivery time will be basically the same.

BradMajors said:   I have bought many things from China and while shipping is very slow I have never had a product not arrive.

However, several items I have received were either the wrong item or did not work.

You will find if you file a SNAD dispute on eBay you will lose. You will lose because: the seller will supply an address only in Chinese characters (the USPS will not accept address using non-latin characters, and it would be very unlikely I could hand write a series of Chinese characters without error), secondly you will be required to return the item with tracking. Tracking to China is prohibitively expensive. eBay does not care when you complain and will let the Chinese seller scam you. eBay suggested I use Google translate to translate the Chinese address into English.

If the item is available on Deal Extreme (or a similar site) you are better off buying there. Deal Extreme will stand behind their products if there is a problem, eBay will not.

I've had a few non-working items I received from China, and this is what I did: worked every time. First tried filing disputes with PP, and as you said, they give you the run-arround. Now I directly file a dispute with AMEX, they never wanted me to return the item, and always received full refund. I don't know if they actually chargeback PayPal or not

I have never had a problem on eBay, but anything coming from dx normally takes at least a month and a half.

I've had 100% delivery rate from CN/HK, some as fast as 9 days.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014