Are Ebay buyers getting worse?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Anyone think eBay buyers are getting worse and worse about not paying attention to the rules (i.e. will not ship to a un-confirmed address) or are just outright scammers? Years ago I rarely had these problems. Not today. As an example, I had 3 auctions complete this past weekend. One paid promptly with a confirmed address. Another one did not have a confirmed address. The third did not have a confirmed address and had an eBay account outside of the United States. Why will eBay not block those who do not have a confirmed US shipping address?

I'm basically sick of eBay and pretty much done with it. For the above two buyers who didn't have confirmed addresses I ignored all further msg's from them and opened up unpaid item cases today with eBay. Will probably lead to negative feedback from them (one already threatened to ding me) but at this point I do not care. Sad really because I have a 100% positive feedback account from 1998. Majority of those transactions I was the seller. I am done with "cancelling" the auctions and hoping the buyer will do the right thing and confirm it so eBay will give me a final value fee credit.

Maybe it's back to craigs list for me. Just as many idiots there but at least you are not bound to them in any way like you are with eBay buyers.

Member Summary

I had a buyer win an auction and then say he couldn't pay. With the new eBay all I could do is get him to agree to cancel his purchase. (If I try doing non-paying bidder I run I high chance of getting a negative.)

What do you mean? Could you not go through the non-paying bidder process or did you not want to risk negative feedback?

A confirmed address has not been necessary for quite a few years now. All you really need to look at is whether the transaction is Seller Protrection eligible. Forget about confirmed, non-confirmed, verified, and what not.

ArgoNavis said:   A confirmed address has not been necessary for quite a few years now. All you really need to look at is whether the transaction is Seller Protrection eligible. Forget about confirmed, non-confirmed, verified, and what not.

Exactly - as long as it says eligible for seller protection under paypal, it doesn't matter if the address is confirmed or not. Requiring it is just making you lose sales.

kcobra said:   Anyone think eBay buyers are getting worse and worse about not paying attention to the rules (i.e. will not ship to a un-confirmed address) or are just outright scammers? Years ago I rarely had these problems. Not today. As an example, I had 3 auctions complete this past weekend. One paid promptly with a confirmed address. Another one did not have a confirmed address. The third did not have a confirmed address and had an eBay account outside of the United States. Why will eBay not block those who do not have a confirmed US shipping address?

I'm basically sick of eBay and pretty much done with it. For the above two buyers who didn't have confirmed addresses I ignored all further msg's from them and opened up unpaid item cases today with eBay. Will probably lead to negative feedback from them (one already threatened to ding me) but at this point I do not care. Sad really because I have a 100% positive feedback account from 1998. Majority of those transactions I was the seller. I am done with "cancelling" the auctions and hoping the buyer will do the right thing and confirm it so eBay will give me a final value fee credit.

Maybe it's back to craigs list for me. Just as many idiots there but at least you are not bound to them in any way like you are with eBay buyers.

I think you may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater, or whatever that expression from the 20s is. If someone says they can't pay, relist the item and wait. If you have your account set up right, after 4 days, eBay will open an unpaid item case. After another 4 days, it will close it and give you a final value credit. The buyer will be UNABLE to leave you feedback. Learn how to use your account before you complain that it sucks.

Treefarn said:   I think you may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater, or whatever that expression from the 20s is. If someone says they can't pay, relist the item and wait. If you have your account set up right, after 4 days, eBay will open an unpaid item case. After another 4 days, it will close it and give you a final value credit. The buyer will be UNABLE to leave you feedback. Learn how to use your account before you complain that it sucks.
If an unpaid case is opened, the buyer can then pay and then give you a negative. They are also lots of reports of buyers leaving negative feedback without paying.

Ahh, ok, I did not realized Paypal had dropped the "confirmed address" requirement for seller protection. I did clearly say in the auctions though that I would only ship to a confirmed address. If the buyer does not follow the spelled out requirements of the auction I should not have to hope they agree to a cancellation in order to receive my final value fee credit.

General question: What happens if the buyer sends payment after opening an unpaid item case and I refund the payment? Will eBay re-open the unpaid item case? The following wording on eBay has me concerned: "If the buyer pays using one of eBay's approved electronic payment methods (PayPal, credit card, ProPay, Skrill, or Paymate), then we close the (unpaid item) case automatically."

If the address, confirmed or not, is covered under 'Seller Protection', if the buyer pays, why do you want to refund the money?

Treefarn said:   If the address, confirmed or not, is covered under 'Seller Protection', if the buyer pays, why do you want to refund the money?

It was more of a general question. Say they pay and the payment is not eligible for seller protection. What happens with the unpaid item case?

kcobra said:   Treefarn said:   If the address, confirmed or not, is covered under 'Seller Protection', if the buyer pays, why do you want to refund the money?

It was more of a general question. Say they pay and the payment is not eligible for seller protection. What happens with the unpaid item case?

The payment will be eligible for seller protection - the only time in recent memory I see it as not is if the buyer pays by echeck and it hasn't cleared yet. After it clears, it's eligible.

kcobra said:   Anyone think eBay buyers are getting worse and worse about not paying attention to the rules (i.e. will not ship to a un-confirmed address) or are just outright scammers? Years ago I rarely had these problems. Not today. As an example, I had 3 auctions complete this past weekend. One paid promptly with a confirmed address. Another one did not have a confirmed address. The third did not have a confirmed address and had an eBay account outside of the United States. Why will eBay not block those who do not have a confirmed US shipping address?

My friend, for a long time now, a seller does not need a confirmed addy for his buyer.
You have to ship to the address Paypal provides for seller protection assuming the payment details say
SELLER PROTECTION

ArgoNavis said:   A confirmed address has not been necessary for quite a few years now. All you really need to look at is whether the transaction is Seller Protrection eligible. Forget about confirmed, non-confirmed, verified, and what not.

You are partially correct.
You left off, seller needs to ship to the address Paypal provides.

And the addy Paypal provides is not the one in the
NOTE to seller box
the seller may have put in, I get those.

As far as
non paying buyers go....

Having Buy It Now with Immediate Paypal payment required
gets rid of those.
It also kills the eCheck writing artists.

some buyers open a dispute and ask for return back their money by Paypal after the seller dispatched the goods. it's not fair.

yes, I also have this same feeling sometimes.

zelty said:   some buyers open a dispute and ask for return back their money by Paypal after the seller dispatched the goods. it's not fair.

PP has seller protection for that.......
Do what they ask for and you are covered.
Assuming you shipped with the correct required parameters.

I just got scammed out of $400 on eBay by a 3rd party seller because I was broke and trying to get ahead and trusted someone
because of it i lost my eBay account AND my pay pal account...........now i have to pay back for an item the seller never shipped
to my buyer

mermaidmollyofthesea said:   I just got scammed out of $400 on eBay by a 3rd party seller because I was broke and trying to get ahead and trusted someone
because of it i lost my eBay account AND my pay pal account...........now i have to pay back for an item the seller never shipped
to my buyer

OK, you sold an item but bought it from another eBay seller?
And paid for it with Paypal.
Did your payment to that seller indicate buyer protection.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014