Buyer from Guam?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I put shipping USA only and the buyer is a new user from GUAM. I dunno how to proceed.

I don't trust him and I have no clue how to ship overseas to GUAM.

How I cancel this transaction without getting negative feedback on eBay?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Guam is a U.S. territory -- you can priority mail it there if it's a reasonable size.

comprx said:   Guam is a U.S. territory -- you can priority mail it there if it's a reasonable size.

I read it's not covered by paypal, and customs required.

As Comprx said, Guam is part of the US. If you specified US only, didn't specify something like continental or contiguous US only, and your buyer is in Guam, then your buyer is qualified to purchase in the eyes of eBay. Why do you not trust this buyer? Solely due to his location?

As far as shipping, if you are able to ship your product via USPS, do so. UPS/FedEx probably can't do it for a cost-effective price. The Domestic Mail Manual (this section) discusses the Guam zip codes that require customs forms. If your buyer's shipping address is on the list in table 2.4.1, and you are sending goods as opposed to documents, then yes a customs form is required. Really the forms aren't too hard to fill out, they can be done via USPS Click N Ship, or I believe PayPal and eBay shipping can do it though I use USPS.com for this on the rare occasions I ship internationally.

Regarding Paypal coverage, standard rules apply. Nothing in the UA specifically excludes Guam. You will need normal proof of delivery. The Domestic Mail Manual (this section) indicates that Guam is not on the list of zip codes where Delivery Confirmation service is not available, so we can assume that it can be used with appropriate classes of mail. Same deal for Signature Confirmation, further down the same page in section 12.2.3

I would highly recommend that you not use any service slower than first class or priority when shipping to Guam due to the location of the destination. Just like shipping to Hawaii, using parcel post isn't usually a great idea if you can avoid it.

Auction said lower 48 states only, and buyer has 0 feedback. So yeah I'm suspicious and I don't want to pay extra for shipping.

Unless you checked the US Protectorates, APO/FPO in your excluded shipping locations when you listed the item then as far as eBay is concerned the buyer is in the US and you are obligated to complete the transaction regardless of what you stated in your listing. There is a 99% chance the buyer or a close family member is in the US military and simply stationed there so might consider cutting the buyer some slack and shipping the item. The risk of getting burned by a buyer in the military is really low since they know you can easily cause them far more hassle by reporting them to their CO than they would ever get out of scamming you.

cnIsfg said:   Unless you checked the US Protectorates, APO/FPO in your excluded shipping locations when you listed the item then as far as eBay is concerned the buyer is in the US and you are obligated to complete the transaction regardless of what you stated in your listing. There is a 99% chance the buyer or a close family member is in the US military and simply stationed there so might consider cutting the buyer some slack and shipping the item. The risk of getting burned by a buyer in the military is really low since they know you can easily cause them far more hassle by reporting them to their CO than they would ever get out of scamming you.

Military people have 0 feedback?

"Just got off the phone- it is NOT covered by seller protection."

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=8519389

lol

Why is there so little information about shipping to GUAM. They should liberate their island from the USA.

Boxcutter said:   cnIsfg said:   Unless you checked the US Protectorates, APO/FPO in your excluded shipping locations when you listed the item then as far as eBay is concerned the buyer is in the US and you are obligated to complete the transaction regardless of what you stated in your listing. There is a 99% chance the buyer or a close family member is in the US military and simply stationed there so might consider cutting the buyer some slack and shipping the item. The risk of getting burned by a buyer in the military is really low since they know you can easily cause them far more hassle by reporting them to their CO than they would ever get out of scamming you.

lol

You do realize that that thread was from 2003?
I had a buyer from Guam a couple of months ago and can confirm that the transaction was seller protection eligible.

Boxcutter said:   cnIsfg said:   Unless you checked the US Protectorates, APO/FPO in your excluded shipping locations when you listed the item then as far as eBay is concerned the buyer is in the US and you are obligated to complete the transaction regardless of what you stated in your listing. There is a 99% chance the buyer or a close family member is in the US military and simply stationed there so might consider cutting the buyer some slack and shipping the item. The risk of getting burned by a buyer in the military is really low since they know you can easily cause them far more hassle by reporting them to their CO than they would ever get out of scamming you.

lol

Everyone has 0 feedback when they begin on eBay.

You should be able to tell if you are covered under PayPal when you go to the order detail page, it states it there. If it claims you are OK to ship then there's no reason to worry yourself with old Anandtech threads. I would recommend you take advantage of USPS 1st class or Priority shipping.

Typical uninformed eBay seller

If you still don't want to ship then refund in full, contact the buyer and explain why you won't ship and hope you don't get negative feedback. Revise your listing to exclude US protectorates, APO/FPO. I have shipped to Guam in the past with no problems(I only use priority or express mail, no parcel post)

Whatever losers. The buyer never replied or payed so it worked out for me. Guam buyers are frauds.

Boxcutter said:   Whatever losers. The buyer never replied or payed so it worked out for me. Guam buyers are frauds.

How about we all chip in to send this loser to geography school.

Boxcutter said:   Whatever losers. The buyer never replied or payed so it worked out for me. Guam buyers are frauds.Since you've discovered this forum is full of losers, remember not to post here for advice next time you don't know what you're doing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014