DO NOT use COD by any carrier

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I sold an Item I had listed on a Auto Racing Website. The Scammer insisted on using UPS and COD to "protect himself". He asked that i ship overnight, and he'd pay the costs. The item was $2500 and shipping plus insurance was total of $2712, from my home state of Texas to his in S. Carolina. I specified "Cashiers Check or Money Order ONLY" at The UPS Store from where I shipped the item. The driver accepted a fake personal "starter check" looking piece of paper. Probably created on a printer, or so it appears. Now UPS is telling me "It's between ME and the BUYER", and that i have no grounds to file a claim with them!
Reading other sites and trying to figure out WHAT to do...it seems this is happening more and more.
Any ideas on how to recover my loss?
Scammer turned off the cell...so thats no route.
I did file a police report in S. Carolina...but they could care less about a Texas guy.
A local lawyer says its not worth his time.
Seems small claims court is outta the question as I'd spend more money traveling to S. Carolina.

Help!

Thanks!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am soory to hear you got ripped off but the associated scams of buyers requesting COD shipments are common knowledge here. The COD acronym itself is misleading these days since no private carrier will actually accept cash for a COD payment anymore.

Yep, little did I know. I, thought i was being safe. The UPS lady that i tried to file a claim with, said the scammer could hand write out a "check" on a paper napkin, and the driver would take it. She told me flat out...."He's a driver...NOT a banker". So basically, UPS could care less about anyone! They got their money!!

Well it probably won't help to get your money back, but it does seem odd that UPS would state that the shipper has the option to specify cashier check/MO only but they are unwilling to enforce it?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_add...

Since you do have the address, see if you can find the landline/home number associated and connect that way. Maybe it's some basement dweller who might have parents who would mind having this kind of scam being run out of their home.

I did all the investigating, ran the cell numbers, googled the addresses...found household relatives and their cell nos. Called them all. The house the package was delivered to was very nice curb & gutter subdivision. The house the cell numbers were connected to was in the slums. All cell numbers had been turned off. Thats the way they operate.

Just accept paypal and learn your lesson

Boxcutter said:   Just accept paypal and learn your lesson
Yeah, paypal's never screwed over a seller.......

rhino850 said:   Boxcutter said:   Just accept paypal and learn your lesson
Yeah, paypal's never screwed over a seller.......

As a seller I won all cases
As a buyer, the same.

Specify

C O D

Cash On Delivery

yesidonoitall said:   Specify

C O D

Cash On Delivery

Which delivery service allows for cash? Not UPS...
These terms of service apply to C.O.D.:

UPS will accept C.O.D.s for amounts up to US$50,000.00 per shipment.
UPS will accept a business or personal check, or another negotiable form of payment.
At the shipper's request, UPS will accept a cashier's check or money order only.
UPS will not accept currency in any amount.
The shipper assumes all risk related to the collection of the payment, including non-payment, insufficient funds, and forgery.[/quote}

ouch. sorry to hear about your incident. please read about common scams before selling online any further. this is a top 10. hopefully it doesnt happen to any other fatwallet member again.

Years ago, you could specify CASH ONLY for USPS and UPS,
not any more, it is no cash now (they will not accept it)

For that amount of cash, fly down there.

But first, call up their local police department and make and appointment
(worth a try)

OP - Sue UPS since from your description they gave you the option to specify payment and you did, and they didn't honor it. So they failed to collect the payment as specified and basically handed your stuff over for free.
Due to the amount you can sue them in small claims court.
Once you sue them, they may decide that talking to you to work out a settlement is a driver's job, even if its like a banker
Be sure to get from they website print outs and screenshots of anything that supports your case, along with your documents, and print it all out (highlight with yellow) to show the judge. Saying "their website says..blah blah.... " counts for nothing to a judge.

Terms of Service These terms of service apply to C.O.D.:

UPS will accept C.O.D.s for amounts up to US$50,000.00 per shipment.
UPS will accept a business or personal check, or another negotiable form of payment.
At the shipper's request, UPS will accept a cashier's check or money order only.
UPS will not accept currency in any amount.
The shipper assumes all risk related to the collection of the payment, including non-payment, insufficient funds, and forgery.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_add...

yesidonoitall said:   Specify

C O D

Cash On Delivery

lol, look up what COD now means. (The C's not for "cash")

rhino850 said:   yesidonoitall said:   Specify

C O D

Cash On Delivery

They no longer will take cash.
COD is COLLECT ON DELIVERY

yesidonoitall said:   rhino850 said:   yesidonoitall said:   Specify

C O D

Cash On Delivery

They no longer will take cash.

COD is COLLECT ON DELIVERY

Lesson Learned! Avoid it here after! No way to waste buddy!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014