• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
This looks interesting.
Anyone have any expereince with it yet?

I know I have sold items to companies like this, you ship to a US address, and they send to the overseas buyer. But this looks like -part- of eBay?

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If you want to REALLY add to the hassle, try dealing with MULTIPLE winning bids from one international customer when the... (more)

JKRedondo (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 10:46a) |

IMPORTANT NOTE (confirmed by eBay)! Do not think that if you click the box for the Global Ship Program, BUT THEN ALSO ... (more)

JKRedondo (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 11:15a) |

I have bought ( and a wee bit sold ) to USof A for many years - I am in France now and find yes many problems with "cust... (more)

elcouloume (Jul. 13, 2014 @ 10:41a) |

rated:
That *is* interesting.

Here's more

I sell about 20 to 25% overseas. I wonder how much eBay are charging buyers for this?

rated:
I've just read some more about this.

Good grief eBay (sorry e.bay), that's a shitty solution to a nonexistent problem. I don't even know where to start with the stupidity. Urgh.

I decline thankyouverymuch

rated:
I can see buyers jumping at this amazing opportunity to be fleeced even more by e.bay. Here is the list of possible fees to be charged:

- U.S. shipping fee
- International shipping fee
- Fuel surcharges
- Parcel processing service fee
- Distribution center management
- Loss management fee
- Transportation risk premium fee
- Referral fee
- Import charges
- Commodity importation, including, but not limited to, duties, tariffs or excise taxes
- Classification fee
- Importation risk premium fee

I'm sure e.bay and PB will come up with some more: air displacement fee, Atlantic Ocean crossing fee, distressed buyer counseling fee, having-to-breathe-NJ-air fee, ad nauseum.

rated:
^

You're forgetting the $10/hr moron at the centralized warehouse mishandling/mislabeling your package - who'll get the blame for that?

Are eBay (or PB) going open all the boxes? How else can they trust what's in them if they are exporting them in their name?

I don't have a problem shipping internationally, and my international buyers don't have a problem with me. There is no problem to be fixed!

rated:
Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items. GSP Items purchased by your Buyer may be covered by an eBay Buyer Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection program, as described below. eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate Parcels (and their contents) that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable following a reasonable number of unsuccessful delivery attempts by Pitney Bowes's third party shipping carriers to a Buyer's designated delivery address, as determined by eBay or Pitney Bowes. If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a Parcel is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a Parcel, title to the Parcel (and its contents) shall transfer automatically from you to eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes (as eBay and Pitney Bowes may elect), at no cost to either eBay or Pitney Bowes (or to any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes), and eBay and Pitney Bowes (and any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes) shall retain all proceeds (if any) received from the disposal or liquidation of the Parcel and/or its contents).

rated:
This would be a great feature... if any other company than e.bay was providing it.

rated:
Advise is to ship yourself. USPS+Registered+Insurance from Third Party
eBay will kill buyers in terms of fees. Will touch at times 190%
They charge you in all manners they can.

rated:
It's been a huge hassle so far as a buyer. I keep asking sellers to turn it off. Otherwise I get slugged with import duty on every purchase even if it is far under the $1000 threshold for goods brought into Australia.

No thank you, eBay.

rated:
Unfortunately, as a new seller on eBay they won't let me turn it off.(or they have hidden it pretty well but it isn't on the listing page) I either click to accept their way or I can't ship international. What's up with that?

rated:
If you normally only sell within the USA, then I think using this Global Shipping Program is fine. Potential overseas buyers may be turned off by the added fees for customs, etc., but prior to this you weren't getting them anyway. So at worst you get some more eyeballs and watchers, and quite possibly end up with higher final auction price due to overseas bidders (even if your buyer is domestic.)

For sellers who already ship international, then this seems somewhat questionable, it depends on the extra fees the buyer will be paying, which will have an effect on international bid amounts. Shipping internationally is a great way to get maximum value for your auctions, but you do need to know what you're doing. I generally always ship Priority or Express which normally offers tracking/delivery confirmation, and only offer First Class for low value stuff. It's still possible to get scammed of course, but it's a calculated risk you take for higher selling price.

rated:
I stopped selling overseas. While overseas sales made up anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of my profits, they made up 100% of my hassles. Never have had a problem with a US sale that wasn't easily remedied. But my overseas sales - items mysteriously getting lost in customs, or getting opened in customs and being resealed without my merchandise in it, or 'there's a scratch, can i have $50'. ALL from overseas buyers.

rated:
Treefarn said:   I stopped selling overseas. While overseas sales made up anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of my profits, they made up 100% of my hassles. Never have had a problem with a US sale that wasn't easily remedied. But my overseas sales - items mysteriously getting lost in customs, or getting opened in customs and being resealed without my merchandise in it, or 'there's a scratch, can i have $50'. ALL from overseas buyers.
EXACTLY, very well stated. Not worth the hassle. The comments in this link illuminate some other issues, the ones I'd be concerned about:
%99 of the sellers who sell overseas cheat the system. They use USPS, under weigh and undervalue the packages and send them as GIFT as apposed to merchandise. eBay customers (who as it is, email all the time and ask sellers to value the items for way less then they are) are NEVER going to pay ''the full boat'' for those items. As soon as they see they have to pay full shipping prices (items weighed correctly), customs, duty, tarrifs etc - they will cancel the sale! They are used to getting that ''bargin'' and wont ''stand'' for full price. Of course this is what you get when your customer base is comprised of liers and cheaters.

Its blatantly unfair to people on the left coast who have to eat the shipping upgrade to get thier items to PB in 4 days. Im on the EC so it doesnt effect me - but if you are in CA/AZ/WA/OR - your costs just went UP!

And I agree with that users summary: Lets all realize that this isnt for a sellers benefit. Its being done to capture and become dominant in the one area Amazon is weak in - international commerce. Only a very few people are approved to ship internationally on Amazon and eBay feels they have the upper edge.

Just my $0.02... I won't be subscribing!

rated:
Ehat a rip off. I bought a guitar on eBay for US$2300 plus postage. Yhe page said import fees would be displayed at checkout. When I got to the checkout page it asked for another US$390. The US$2300 is just over AU$2200 and there is a 10% imort tax. The third party is taking around US$180 for themselves. I checked with Rbay and they just offered to cancel the transaction and ask the seller to relist without the Global Shipping option. They agreed and I recieved the item with a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket instead of Pitney Bowes or whatever they are called. The seller will not use GSP again.

rated:
I have had some experience now...... I signed up for the program recently and any time a foreign bidder wins an auction, eBay prevents me from being able to send an invoice. This affected about five auctions, and NONE of the winners have paid through the eBay program, but most have emailed me asking for an invoice. I can't send one.

So I circumvented eBay, sent Paypal requests for funds directly. Disguised my email address, auction numbers and such and apologized for the difficulties to my buyers.

We'll see whether they all pay up or not and get the items they thought they'd be getting. My guess is that there is absolutely no way that eBay allows foreign bidders to see that the item they are bidding on will go through their horrible program.

In one case, not only was I prevented from sending an invoice, but eBay wouldn't accept payment from them since it is not on their list of countries they ship to.

Seems like a nightmare. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can request to leave the Global Shipping program. On the bright side, I am not forced into designating an auction as a Global Shipping item. But I get bugged about it constantly by eBay.

One of my winning bidders observed that the program increases the cost of buying for foreign bidders quite a bit.

I became pretty suspicious when I was not privy to whatever invoice the program was sending my winners or IF they had sent them out. Sounds like a good way to get frustrated bidders to take it out on sellers by giving them negative ratings.

I'm done with the program.

rated:
Caveat Emptor! The Global Shipping Program is a one-way door. You can sign up for the program, but you can't get out once you're in. Just talked to an eBay rep on the phone. Their only advice is that listing by listing you just don't offer it, and then you deal with the ongoing eBay notices telling you to 'improve' your listing by making Global Shipping available for that item.

What a pain!

rated:
I'm not getting it...So you sign up for GSP, but then just don't offer it in your auctions and nothing changes.

Why is it so critical to actually get out of the program for those who are already in? You just don't use it, right?

rated:
"You can sign up for the program, but you can't get out once you're in."

Not my experience at all. I've had all of my items in the GSP for several weeks now, and it was simple to "remove" an item from the GSP. Just go into your listing, "Revise Item"--->go to "International Shipping" and uncheck the box to offer the Global Shipping Program.

You'll get a nag-screen telling you as you leave the revision process that "your item qualifies for the GSP," which you just ignore. The item is then listed however you want it.

As far as if it's a good program - time will tell. But time is money, and if I can have someone else in the chain provide a shipping service while I buy and list more items to sell, AND the numbers work profit-wise, what's not to like?

rated:
I have had a few listings end with items shipped through the GSP. No hassles or problems so far.

rated:
As a buyer in Australia my experience with this load of crap called GSP is not good ... obviously. Purchased an eBay item from US on Dec 13, 2012 and as of Mar 7, 2013 I have still not received anything. In the past when buying from US sellers the most it would take was 6-7 weeks, not 12 like now. PLEASE sellers do not use this system if possible. Thanks.

rated:
kraggark said:   As a buyer in Australia my experience with this load of crap called GSP is not good ... obviously. Purchased an eBay item from US on Dec 13, 2012 and as of Mar 7, 2013 I have still not received anything. In the past when buying from US sellers the most it would take was 6-7 weeks, not 12 like now. PLEASE sellers do not use this system if possible. Thanks.

Any difference on shipping price?

rated:
Interesting, I also find this GSP. How much eBay charging buyer?

rated:
They are offering 50% off FVF if you enable through the end of the March. For someone planning on only selling to the US, this seems l,Ike a great way to save some money on your eBay fees for the month.

rated:
gyzo33 said:   kraggark said:   As a buyer in Australia my experience with this load of crap called GSP is not good ... obviously. Purchased an eBay item from US on Dec 13, 2012 and as of Mar 7, 2013 I have still not received anything. In the past when buying from US sellers the most it would take was 6-7 weeks, not 12 like now. PLEASE sellers do not use this system if possible. Thanks.

Any difference on shipping price?

It seems like shipping to australia is a much better deal through GSP than what a typical seller could offer. Case in point - I sold a speaker system that would have cost me $130 to ship to Australia via PMI. eBay charged the Australian buyer half that amount by shipping through FedEx. It got there in about a week and no extra charges. Just a flat rate charge of $65 or so (this was a 20 pound item).

It seems that some countries in the program have to pay a shipping fee and an import charge which can be significant. Australians only get charged the shipping fee with no import charge.

rated:
iamwildbill said:   They are offering 50% off FVF if you enable through the end of the March. For someone planning on only selling to the US, this seems l,Ike a great way to save some money on your eBay fees for the month.
Are you sure about it? The way I read it, it's 50% off FVF when it's actually being shipped overseas via GSP. Am I wrong?
Limited-time offer:
Congratulations, you're invited to enroll in the Global Shipping Program and receive 50% off Final Value Fees for a limited time. After you enroll, we'll take half off your Final Value Fees on every item you sell through the Program by March 31, 2013.

rated:
Can someone give me an example of the costs to the buyer and to me?

For example, a $20 item that weighs 7 ounces, shipped to Australia in a 6x10 bubble mailer. Currently this would cost me a little under $13 for USPS first class international package service. It would have shipping confirmation but no tracking. I think the buyer does not have to pay any import fees, or at least nobody has mentioned it if so.

How would what I mentioned above compare to this GSP program as far as cost to me and cost to buyer? Getting an actual international tracking number would be nice. I'd say 5% of my international first class shipments are very slow (3-4 weeks or more) or seem to disappear completely.

rated:
pengar said:   Can someone give me an example of the costs to the buyer and to me?

For example, a $20 item that weighs 7 ounces, shipped to Australia in a 6x10 bubble mailer. Currently this would cost me a little under $13 for USPS first class international package service. It would have shipping confirmation but no tracking. I think the buyer does not have to pay any import fees, or at least nobody has mentioned it if so.

How would what I mentioned above compare to this GSP program as far as cost to me and cost to buyer? Getting an actual international tracking number would be nice. I'd say 5% of my international first class shipments are very slow (3-4 weeks or more) or seem to disappear completely.

If you have an item up for listing, and are enrolled in the program, you can actually see what the buyer will be charged. Just change the country on the shipping and payment tab within a listing. Based on some trial and error, it appears that only Australia doesnt have to pay any import fees.

rated:
I don't suppose you know of a link to some specific example fees? I really don't want to join the program at this point. Even if people say I can turn it off for each listing, I don't like enrolling in eBay's "programs" without researching them first. Maybe in the future if you're enrolled in it they won't let you turn it off, who knows.

I'm just curious on a general ballpark of the cost to buyers. 7 ounce bubble mailer shipped to australia, and / or to canada for example. An idea what they would charge the buyers for this? If I have to ship it to somewhere in the US, that would cost me about $2...I wonder if that cost is also billed to the buyer?

rated:
I fell for this service also. It was promoted as a great deal. Well, my buyer, from Canada, ended up being charged almost twice as much as it should have been. If you enroll in the program you CAN'T send an invoice yourself, and you can't ship outside of eBay without a lot of trouble. YOu can't say that they've paid any other way - they have to check out through eBay. This wouldn't be a problem, but the shipping charge, duties charges, taxes and other charges added up to $35.50, when the actual shipping I would have charged would have been $19.95. When I asked eBay what the benefit of this program is, they said "no insertion fees" - but I said I don't have insertion fees since I don't list that much, and I wait for promotions. So - no benefit to me. I've opted out! Just another way for eBay to make some more money.

rated:
Seems like eBay is finally exhausting the ways to extract the money from sellers so they're going after the buyers.

rated:
kraggark said:   As a buyer in Australia my experience with this load of crap called GSP is not good ... obviously. Purchased an eBay item from US on Dec 13, 2012 and as of Mar 7, 2013 I have still not received anything. In the past when buying from US sellers the most it would take was 6-7 weeks, not 12 like now. PLEASE sellers do not use this system if possible. Thanks.

Good God! 6 to 7 weeks? wow! I ship heavy packages to Au and NZ via USPS Priority International and they are there in about 10 days always! My packages weigh in at 38lbs. Priority International is the lowest international shipping I have found.

rated:
just looked at a $7.99 item and they want $3 import charge on top of that.. i've been buying on eBay for 14 years (from Canada) and never been charged duty/taxes on an item under $50. This is a blatant ripoff.. eBay is just pocketing the cash. Criminal!

rated:
I'm a Canadian and long-time ebayer and I've recently had 3 experiences with the GSP. First, eBay charges me duty and taxes that appear to be in the 20-30% range and I have yet to find out how these fees are determined. As such, I only completed 1 transaction given the deal was too good. After eBay added the additional fees it became and ok deal. I contacted the other 2 sellers and requested that we cancel the transactions. As a Canadian buying from eBay seller, I now specifically ask or look to see if they are part of GSP. If they are, I won't buy from them. It looks like another cash grab attempt by eBay and its too bad. Over the years eBay has progressively gotten worse for buyers and sellers, and I'm on the verge of leaving. I would love to see another online auction website to compete with eBay, but none are comparable currently.

eBay needs to provide transparency on how these fees are determined. Moreover, Canadian customs does not charge me duty or tax on most of the item I get shipped to me from the US when it is shipped USPS, so why would I want to pay even for the smallest items?

rated:
I want to know if eBay is disclosing the complete cost to the buyer or not. Anyone know?

rated:
I am totally with euphoriiick on this. I also am a Canadian buyer, with over 8 years buying experience, and I just recently "discovered" this retarded new GSP system. The extra charge was not mentioned anywhere in the auction listing/shipping information section, and I'm glad I did pay attention before clicking on "Commit to buy" button! After clicking Buy It Now, I was taken to the screen where it shows the figures - how much for item, how much for shipping (so far so good, as I knew these numbers from the listing), and then, SURPRISE!!! An "Import charge". Are you f'n kidding me?!?

Contacted the seller, and she did not know what that extra charge was. Imagine that! I gather, she enrolled in this GSP because it sounded good - ship to central point, and not have to worry about anything else, so she signed up for it. Looks like she had no idea eBay will impose these kind of extra charges on the buyer(s). Well, tough capoochees, I'm not going to be skinned in the process. I walked away from the sale. And, from this point on, I fully intend to walk away from EVERY possible sale if the seller is part of GSP.

rated:
Forgot to mention that the shipping cost (as per listing details) was 16 dollars while the "import charges" were 19 dollars. So, yeah, where do they get these calculations from?!?

rated:
reply to "pengar" :
Yes, I can. Just walked away from a sale because the shipping (as listed) was 16 dollars (from US to Canada), and the GSP "import charge" was 19 (yes, nineteen)! Screw that. Ended up buying from another seller, saved over 20 dollars, AND without any stinkin' import charge.

rated:
I believe eBay uses pitney bowes as the GSP provider. In turn, Pitney Bowes is partering with FedEx (and maybe UPS) to send packages through to participating countries. Both FedEx and UPS typically charge high fees to get items quickly through customs (I believe they use brokers or something like that to quickly pass customs). Thats why its faster to ship something internationally through FedEx or UPS than the USPS.

Having said that, it seems that everyone country except Australia has high customs fees attached to the shipping costs. Its better to send through USPS than using GPS. Shipping to Australia doesnt incur any import fees for Australian buyers. It gets shipped via FedEx and arrives within a 7-10 days. I have to be honest and admit that lately because of GPS, a large part of my buyers have been from Australia. It costs them about $45 USD to ship a 10 pound package. Try pricing that out with USPS. With the strong Aussie dollar and cheap shipping, its a great deal for them.

rated:
Oh, the UPS is by far the worst when it comes to overcharging. And they are not even consistent, almost as if they make up the charges depending on their mood. Example: a bottle of perfume I got for my two friends on eBay, same perfume, same format, size, even the same seller so the same address to and from, so, you'd think, the UPS' brokerage fees would be the same too, right? Nope. The first bottle, they charged me 14 dollars, and I was ok with that. The second bottle, two weeks later, 26 dollars! I refused delivery and told them to take it back, at their expense. I told them if they want to cheat people on these brokerage fees, I'm not going to be one of those people. Heck, I even wrote the UPS a polite but "wtf" letter about the incident. NEVER heard back from them. That was in 2009, and I have not dealt with UPS ever since.

FedEx is not so bad. Slower than UPS but not by much, but way cheaper. DHL is ok, too. I shop a lot online, practically for everything but food (love the convenience of not having to drive anywhere to get stuff). If the stuff comes from US, I like the USPS service, and their costs are not bad, comparing to Canada Post for the same service (same distance). Incidentally, I have never had any issues whatsoever with any eBay purchases from Hong Kong, or China. ePackets or whatever, but they always deliver fast, and nothing is ever busted, or stolen. Can't say the same with packages that were mailed to me from within Canada. Weird, eh?

Skipping 32 Messages...
rated:
I have bought ( and a wee bit sold ) to USof A for many years - I am in France now and find yes many problems with "customers here on E**Y" !!! Today is the first time I have encounted GSP . The IMPORTATION BROCKERAGE FEES TO ME ARE ****????***** In all the years I have bought goods AS A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL from outside EU I HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED TAXES - VAT ( sales tax ) - DUTY . Goods on E**Y from a Buissness seller / private seller who is offering through E**Y BY PRIVATE TREATY in the main out of production / secondhand goods DO NOT GET TAXED .( If high value then there is a negotiation of tax due being the notional value of the goods here versus price actually paid ( OUTSIDE EU ) BUT THE NEGOTIATION IS QUITE FAIR BY OUR CUSTOMS SERVICE!!) I agree with the many blogs on this issue ITS A SERIOUS ISSUE . My $107 goods cost me today in the end $211 through PP ???????????? Shipping before was about $55 . If customs service in EU countries can't or don't charge Custom Charges GUESS WHO POCKETS THAT MONEY !!!!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014