First neg received on eBay over cheap toy

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Sold a cheap toy (included some cards and dice) and couldn't locate the one in good condition. Only could find one in torn condition. The item was still new, AFAIK, but the packaging, as I got it from Target, was torn and then retaped.

Sent it off and buyer leaves (without contacting me) -FB, my first on eBay (have gotten a few on Amazon, but have a lot more sales there). I was initially inclined to cancel the sale but figured something was better than nothing, even if the packaging wasn't great. Total sale including shipping was $5.05.

Anybody have success with getting buyer to removed FB? I can refund the entire purchase price and tell her to keep it, but how do you tactfully request they remove the FB?

Member Summary

Did you deserve the neg? That is, was your buyer adequately informed in the listed as to the poor condition of the item?

I had at least 2 units of the item (3 actually but one was at FBA and subsequently sold. Would cost a lot more than $5.05 to have it sent from there to buyer) and the other of the two I had in hand was in much better condition. I only sent the poor condition one because I couldn't locate the other one.

I think you deserved the neg, as the buyer got something that looked like crap. From their point of view, there was no need to contact you. They probably figured 'I'll keep the item, since its in good condition, but it sure looked like crap'

I think a better way to handle would have been to explain the situation, give them the option of accepting the item or cancelling the auction and apologize profusely.

As for getting it removed, send an email, apologize and explain why you did it (what you explained above), but you realize now that may not have been the best option. Offer to refund the money if they'll remove the feedback. If they accept, refund the money and then send a feedback revision request.

tlaxson said:   Did you deserve the neg? That is, was your buyer adequately informed in the listed as to the poor condition of the item?

You evaded an answer to this question!!
I am suspicious that you did not accurately describe the condition of the item.
The one you sent is NOT 'new' by eBay's definition (in original, undamaged, unopened packaging).

so you deserved the negative but you want it removed. tlaxy is nicer than me, so she might help you. good luck.

Sorry sloppy. Not meaning to dodge the question. Yeah, I sent them an item that wasn't "A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)", so regrettably, I did deserve the -FB. Some items do btw have a "New - Other (See item description)" or some such wording but not this category, apparently. Anyway, had I found the one I intended to send, it would have been "A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item".

Yep treefarn, in future, I'd check to see if another seller on either eBay or Amazon has it at close to what I got, email them to see if it is in brand new condition, and if so, just buy it and have it sent directly to the buyer, losing a bit in the process. A bit overwhelmed with CyberMonday sales, didn't think of that at the time.

I generally prefer just giving the refund and then requesting a removal, but then they lack incentive to remove it. Not sure what eBay's rules are but definately on Amazon quid pro quo on FB removal is against the rules.

bevo, "so you deserved the negative but you want it removed." Yes, that's pretty much it. eBay did create the FB removal option for problems that arise and are subsequently resolved, so that's why I am trying to go that route, but just trying to find best way to go about it. Will probably try to draft something tonight.

I have had similar things happen with eBay sales, and it's definitely better to give the person notice that the actual item does not match the description of what they bid on. Give option to continue (perhaps at reduced amount) or cancel. But since it is too late for that, it's a little trickier since they have already left neg feedback.

Is it too late to cancel the transaction? They would get a full refund but I think they can no longer leave any feedback. Not sure it's possible once feedback is registered though.

one negative feedback will not kill u. But learn from the mistake. It is better to communicate with your buyer b4 sending the product if you think it might be iffy.

Good luck getting your neg removed. I had a neg complaining that buyer asked for resolution and I never responded. I called eBay, demonstrating that not only did I respond via eBay messages, but I offered a full refund and return option. eBay said there's nothing they can do. Bottomline, if they don't use racial/insulting/sensitive information in their feedback, they can say or lie whatever they want and you as a seller can't do anything about it.

Wreptyle said:   Good luck getting your neg removed. I had a neg complaining that buyer asked for resolution and I never responded. I called eBay, demonstrating that not only did I respond via eBay messages, but I offered a full refund and return option. eBay said there's nothing they can do. Bottomline, if they don't use racial/insulting/sensitive information in their feedback, they can say or lie whatever they want and you as a seller can't do anything about it.

Thats correct. The OP isn't planning on asking eBay to remove it. But asking the buyer to remove it. I've been able to do that successfully a couple of times.

Start over again with another account.

lol

In your situation I would go ahead and immediately refund the money and send an apology. I would also respond to the feedback taking full responsibility for the condition of the item and apologizing again - something like "Dropped the ball on this one. She is right to be upset and I have refunded her the purchase price and shipping. I'm sorry." Leave the decision to remove the feedback up to the buyer.

If your buyer is satisfied, she may remove the feedback. If not, you've done the best kind of damage control. When I see a good seller with one neg and a gracious, apologetic response, I'm actually inclined to think more highly of them. Everyone screws up at some point, but it's how you handle the screwups that set you apart.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014