• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Just thought I would put this out there as info to help my fellow members.

I bought something on eBay with a 14 day return policy. I believed that I can return the item for any reason even changing of mind. Contacted the seller within the time frame and they did not want to accept the return. Filed a case with eBay, and eBay sided with the seller because there was nothing wrong with the item. Even though the listing says that returns are accepted.

eBay is very wrong in doing this, I think. But I wanted to let all of you know what happened so if you buy something that you just simply change your mind on, you better break it or something so you can get your money back!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Stick with WalMart if you want to buy it, try it and then return it.

yesidonoitall (Jan. 29, 2013 @ 8:42p) |

I was on the phone with eBay again last night and finally did get this resolved in my favor. After my case got escalated... (more)

KenKat (Jan. 31, 2013 @ 7:50a) |

N/C

rhino850 (Jan. 31, 2013 @ 2:15p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

karkura said:   Just thought I would put this out there as info to help my fellow members.

I bought something on eBay with a 14 day return policy. I believed that I can return the item for any reason even changing of mind. Contacted the seller within the time frame and they did not want to accept the return. Filed a case with eBay, and eBay sided with the seller because there was nothing wrong with the item. Even though the listing says that returns are accepted.

eBay is very wrong in doing this, I think. But I wanted to let all of you know what happened so if you buy something that you just simply change your mind on, you better break it or something so you can get your money back!

I would recommend against "window shopping" type of buying off eBay or Amazon.com. The larger stores can accommodate this and absorb the inherent loss, but as an individual seller it really is significant if the package is no longer sealed or the item is no longer new, plus the time cost in shipping to and fro is costly at this time of year.

Unless you over paid you are better off just selling it yourself. You will probably not net what you paid out, but hopefully you will be close. Think of it as an alternative to a restocking fee.

I do agree in your case, the seller should have clarified the terms for returning the item.

Yes, I don't really window shop on eBay. I thought if a seller accepts returns they accept returns. But that is not the case. Just wanted to share for informational purposes. Hopefully this helps someone.

RE:
you better break it or something so you can get your money back!

Filing a false SNAD claim is dishonest.

karkura said:   Yes, I don't really window shop on eBay. I thought if a seller accepts returns they accept returns. But that is not the case. Just wanted to share for informational purposes. Hopefully this helps someone.Your post is helpful, it's a great heads-up for what a buyer might expect. I didn't mean "window shop" in any derogatory sense, it's really just the difference between being totally sure of keeping a purchase. If I'm not positive I will want to keep something I just usually buy from a good retailer with clear and 'forgiving' return policy, such as Amazon. Even though eBay is making changes to be more buyer-friendly, it's still pretty iff/on-your-own/ymmv for generous customer service.

Yes, I have seen this too. They list the 14-day returns to get the 20% fee discount and search results boost. But some sellers never intend to honor it.

A consignment store I sell to lists 14-day returns. Then when you read the actual listing, it says buyers have THREE days to return.

It's ridiculous that eBay creates this incentive and then doesn't hold sellers accountable. The unintended consequence is that buyers are harmed, not helped.

Have you tried doing a chargeback?

The OP is leaving out significant details of eBay's return denial reason. Bottom line since eBay inplemeted their policy that every seller must state a return policy that is displayed under the eBay shipping and payments section of each listing if the seller did indeed list the OP's item as accepting returns (either exchange or money back) eBay will force the seller to accept the return regardless of the reason. That process is 100% automated and there is no actual human at eBay who makes any decision unless the seller files an appeal. If there is a dispute between what the seller stated in the item description and the return policy they selected when they listed the item eBay always uses the return policy shown in the shipping and payments section. Maybe the OP will come clean and post the rest of the story...

I have a love-hate relationship with the eBay automated return system.

Love:
Buyers can just use it to return without bothering the sellers and less disputes/cases.

Hate:
Buyers can just make up any excuse and return the item free of charge and seller pays for return shipping for buyer's remorse.
In our case, 80% of the buyers using the eBay automated return system just make stuff up so they can return the item.

cnIsfg said:   The OP is leaving out significant details of eBay's return denial reason. Bottom line since eBay inplemeted their policy that every seller must state a return policy that is displayed under the eBay shipping and payments section of each listing if the seller did indeed list the OP's item as accepting returns (either exchange or money back) eBay will force the seller to accept the return regardless of the reason. That process is 100% automated and there is no actual human at eBay who makes any decision unless the seller files an appeal. If there is a dispute between what the seller stated in the item description and the return policy they selected when they listed the item eBay always uses the return policy shown in the shipping and payments section. Maybe the OP will come clean and post the rest of the story...

Excuse me? You have the story. What you are saying here is not true. I too thought what you have written, but after what has happened to me with this purchase it has opened my eyes.

And let me add that I have over 22,000 feedbacks so I am not a newbie.

According to the listing the seller accepts returns within 14 days. When I contacted the seller they refused the return (nothing wrong with the item). I filed a dispute with eBay and they found in the sellers favor saying they can't force the seller to accept the return since there is nothing wrong with the item. Case closed in sellers favor.

The seller does not have an automated return system. That is optional through eBay. Very few eBay sellers actually have this. So that is the story. If you have any specific questions please ask.

Once again, I am putting this out there to help others.

yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Claiming that returns are accepted and then refusing to accept a return is also dishonest.

karkura said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Claiming that returns are accepted and then refusing to accept a return is also dishonest.

Correct...

I as a buyer have recently had many, 20 or so SNAD claims against 7 sellers....
Of the 3 I contacted 2 claimed no returns accepted, 1 said, he sent me new sealed items and although he does take returns, for what I bought there was no returning them.
e
eBay changed all their minds real quick, and eBay either paid for the return costs or did not order they be returned....

I called eBay, I appealed, I spoke to supervisors, etc. No help since the item was not damaged or SNAD.

karkura said:   cnIsfg said:   The OP is leaving out significant details of eBay's return denial reason. Bottom line since eBay inplemeted their policy that every seller must state a return policy that is displayed under the eBay shipping and payments section of each listing if the seller did indeed list the OP's item as accepting returns (either exchange or money back) eBay will force the seller to accept the return regardless of the reason. That process is 100% automated and there is no actual human at eBay who makes any decision unless the seller files an appeal. If there is a dispute between what the seller stated in the item description and the return policy they selected when they listed the item eBay always uses the return policy shown in the shipping and payments section. Maybe the OP will come clean and post the rest of the story...

Excuse me? You have the story. What you are saying here is not true. I too thought what you have written, but after what has happened to me with this purchase it has opened my eyes.

And let me add that I have over 22,000 feedbacks so I am not a newbie.

According to the listing the seller accepts returns within 14 days. When I contacted the seller they refused the return (nothing wrong with the item). I filed a dispute with eBay and they found in the sellers favor saying they can't force the seller to accept the return since there is nothing wrong with the item. Case closed in sellers favor.

The seller does not have an automated return system. That is optional through eBay. Very few eBay sellers actually have this. So that is the story. If you have any specific questions please ask.

Once again, I am putting this out there to help others.

Excuse me perhaps if you provide all the facts we may know the real story you are not telling. As one of less than fifty 250,000+ eBay Titanium Power Sellers on eBay I can tell you with 100% certaintly eBay did not side against you as a buyer simply because you opted to excercise the seller's stated return policy. These days as far as eBay is concerned there is no differentiation beween a defective item return and a customer satisfaction return. Unless you have a fraud based return claim (ie a SNAD , no item shipped etc..) eBay does not care about the return reason nor do they get involved at the CSR level. If the seller states they accept returns in their return policy eBay's system will now force the return. Major parts of eBay's denial are missing from your story. Perhaps posting the actual eBay denial email verbatim here will let us figure out parts?

Since eBay implemented their mandatory "a return policy must be included in all listings" last year eBay's return process is 100% automated and no I am not talking about their new streamline return process that eBay recently introduced that sellers have to opt in that allows the buyer to return an item without first contacting the seller.
eBay's ONLY requirement to return an item is that if the seller has not opted into eBay streamline returns process is that the buyer must first contact the seller through eBay messaging to notify them of their intent to return an item. The seller can then choose to accept or reject the return request. However even if the seller rejects your return request if the seller has a return policy that allows exchanges or refunds stated in their reurn policy you CAN still return the item by simply clicking the "return item" from the "more actions" dropdown available on every eligible item purchased(ie a listing that has a return policy that allows retuns) from your purchased item(s) list in My eBay. Using that method eBay will provide a free prepaid return and then chargeback the reutrn postage to the seller's eBay account. That process is 100% automated and eBay will NOT intervene UNLESS the seller files a valid appeal after receiving the return (ie the seller receives an empty box, the return was missing items,etc) Other than those reasons eBay will NOT side with the seller on a return if the seller's listing stated they accept returns.

eBay Customer Support comments:
Based on information provided in the case, the item you received matched the seller's description but you no longer wanted the item. eBay Buyer Protection doesn't cover situations where an item is accurately described.
Final decision:
This case has been decided in the seller's favor.

karkura said:   eBay Customer Support comments:
Based on information provided in the case, the item you received matched the seller's description but you no longer wanted the item. eBay Buyer Protection doesn't cover situations where an item is accurately described.
Final decision:

Where did you get the idea a return would be accepted just because you changed tour mind?

yesidonoitall said:   karkura said:   eBay Customer Support comments:
Final decision:

Where did you get the idea a return would be accepted just because you changed tour mind?

Maybe from eBay's policies?

eBay said: If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements.

karkura said:   eBay Customer Support comments:
Final decision:

OK, another posted the policies, have you called eBay about this?

yesidonoitall said:   karkura said:   eBay Customer Support comments:
Final decision:

OK, another posted the policies, have you called eBay about this?

Agreed, you need to call eBay. It sounds like you filed a SNAD. A SNAD is for when you receive the item but it's not as described. The drones at eBay closed your case as soon as they saw that the item was as described. You need to call and be clear that you are NOT claiming SNAD but rather reporting a seller who is not honoring his return policy.

I have called 3 different times. They understand the item is not a SNAD. I was very clear with them. They said that they can not force a seller to accept a return if the item is as described and even if the listing says that returns are accepted.
It is not covered under their Buyer Protection.

eBay said: If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements.

I have told them this at least twice over the phone. According to them this is not their policy. I guess it is kind of a suggestion. Pretty stupid!

That is alarming. Thanks for sharing your story, OP.

eBay's policies are more what'd you call guidelines than actual rules.

killme2 said:   eBay's policies are more what'd you call guidelines than actual rules.

Exactly! That is what I was trying to say. Thank you.

A policy is not a rule...

yesidonoitall said:   A policy is not a rule... It's from a line in a movie. But you're right. Policies aren't rules.

I'm a little confused. Did you file for an automated return? Or did you file 'Resolve a problem' and try to get it covered under 'eBay Buyer Protection'. While I saw you quoted their policies earlier, eBay Buyer Protection does NOT cover you changing your mind.

"Conditions under which a case can be filed
There is a good faith dispute between you and the seller regarding the item.

Moreover, a good faith dispute does not include buyer's remorse (that is, the item delivered was as described in the item description, but you no longer want the item regardless of the reason). "

I used the "Return this Item" from the pull down menu. The system prompted me to contact the seller through messaging which I did. No option to print a label or anything. The seller messaged back saying no returns. We messaged a couple more times then I filed "resolve a problem".

Am I hearing that I have to use the "return this item" then contact the seller, get a response, and use the "return this item" again? Will the automated system kick in the second time I use "return this item"?

I guess what we really need to know is what is the proper way to get through the system on eBay to be able to make a return when there is no automated system?

No I think you should suck it up and move on

Treefarn said:   No I think you should suck it up and move on

I have already moved on. Thank you for that, very helpful.

Just trying to solve this for others and for the future.

Isn't that the 14 day return policy works only in cases when things are not working / broken or, i don't know, item doesn't fit the description? Or it's just a generally speaking, "no matter" what policy?

Happyjohnny said:   Isn't that the 14 day return policy works only in cases when things are not working / broken or, i don't know, item doesn't fit the description? Or it's just a generally speaking, "no matter" what policy?

The automated return system allows returns for any reason:
Can I specify certain requirements for returned items?
No, once you've opted into the new managed returns process, buyers will be permitted to return an item for any reason—including if they change their mind. In accordance with the item condition policy for returns, however, buyers are required to return the item in the same condition as it was received.

Hi
Just wondering if anybody could help me.
I recently bought a phone of eBay. After receiving it I realised there was no proof of original purchase therefore the warranty is useless and I can't insure the phone. The seller listed the items as 'returns accepted', the reason why I was prepared to spend a lot of money through eBay. The phone is as described, still in the box etc. I haven't changed the condition of the phone and I have asked for a refund, choosing to go under contract instead as I will be able to get it sorted if there happens to be any problems. The seller has denied my return request. What should I do? I have apologised for the inconvenience and already offered to pay post and packaging.
Thanks

Don't thread-jack.

You can file a case with PayPal (NOT eBay), and then return it. Make sure you have delivery confirmation. Once it shows delivered, PayPal will refund you the money in full.

This is why I generally use an AMEX with return protection. But to be fair, I haven't looked to see if the protection applies to eBay purchases.

I am currently trying to work thru a situation that is the same as that described in the original post. Seller had 14 day return, seller argued with me when I tried to return the item, seller told me to file case, eBay decided in seller's favor. The seller even agreed to accept the item back but wanted me to express mail it as they were leaving town for 8 weeks and I needed to get it back to them before they left (this was 6 days after I received it). I have spoken to eBay Customer Service 4 times so far and each time the rep advised me that I will win the case. And yet, I lost the initial escalation after the rep advised me to escalate. Lost the appeal after the 2nd rep advised me to appeal before sending back the item, sent the item back after the third rep advised me that the case was decided against me because I hadn't returned it. The 4th rep has advised me to wait until it shows delivered and then I can file a secret, second last chance appeal apparently. Which, based on how things have gone so far, I will probably lose.

There is not an automated return process unless the seller has opted into eBay Managed Returns. It seems like there is a hole in eBay's policy that sellers can exploit.

Stick with WalMart if you want to buy it, try it and then return it.

Skipping 2 Messages...
N/C

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014