Feedback Extortion??

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Look at this email I received yesterday. I went ahead and reported it to eBay.

"Seller,
Good day to you,
Please take a moment to leave my buyer feedback as I have paid for this item in full. By doing this it shows me that you are communicating with me and acknowledging my payment.

In addition It is my policy not to leave a seller any feedback when that seller has not left my buyer feedback unless the seller clearly states in their ad description that they use a automated feedback program!

Also due to sellers who donít leave my buyer feedback before the item arrives I have decided that if I have not received my buyer feedback by the time the item arrives, Then I may just leave my seller Natural Feedback because I really should not have ask for it!

Thank You"

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

karkura said:    Then I may just leave my seller Natural Feedback because I really should not have ask for it!

Thank You"

That is so much better than artificial feedback.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my interpretation of feedback extortion is more along the lines of a bad buyer threatening to leave bad feedback for the seller unless they do something else, such as give a partial or full refund for an imaginary problem.

When I was only buying, I felt the same way as your buyer did - I did my part, what more do you want from me.

After resuming selling, I realized that's really premature. The sale is not really finalized until the item arrives, intact, and both parties are satisfied.

So, under the presumption that no news is good news, if I don't hear from the buyer soon that there's a problem, I cross my fingers and leave feedback shortly after seeing it was delivered.

Seems you've got a very assertive buyer - and you gotta wonder that if you do leave the feedback now, are they going to be nasty in their feedback and/or DSRs to you?

And since you proactively notified eBay, if the buyer pulls a stunt like that, will eBay delete it?

It will be interesting to know how this turns out and what eBay has to say - please let us know!

I called eBay. They told me that it is in fact feedback extortion. The representative said that a buyer can't threaten a neutral or negative feedback in return for receiving their positive. They also said that feedback is optional for both parties. The buyer can't force sellers to leave feedback in this manner. Don't know what eBay is going to do about it.

Oh, I have left a positive for the buyer and he has left a positive for me.

Oh, Whew - and I hope the DSRs he could have attacked are ok, too!!

Good to know how eBay considered that email, too - thanks - and congratulations on the sale!!

karkura said:   Oh, I have left a positive for the buyer and he has left a positive for me.

Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best.

karkura said:   I called eBay. They told me that it is in fact feedback extortion. The representative said that a buyer can't threaten a neutral or negative feedback in return for receiving their positive. They also said that feedback is optional for both parties. The buyer can't force sellers to leave feedback in this manner. Don't know what eBay is going to do about it.
While feedback is optional... I received negative feedback 24 hours after the time of sale with the reason "seller did not give me positive feedback". And, eBay said that was fine.

BradMajors said:   karkura said:   I called eBay. They told me that it is in fact feedback extortion. The representative said that a buyer can't threaten a neutral or negative feedback in return for receiving their positive. They also said that feedback is optional for both parties. The buyer can't force sellers to leave feedback in this manner. Don't know what eBay is going to do about it.
While feedback is optional... I received negative feedback 24 hours after the time of sale with the reason "seller did not give me positive feedback". And, eBay said that was fine.

Call eBay again - you got bad info.

We really need to start a list of buyers to block.

I agree with overclock. I have about 250-300 blocked bidders in mine. Amazing how you know someone is going to be a problem by the questions they ask.

For those buyers who pull that feedback nonsense...just leave them feedback and let them know you give feedback after you see it on your account. You use feedback to let you know your buyer got the item and they are happy. That appeases most.

You can call eBay until you are blue in the face. Buyer left a neg? Unless they did something against policy or do nothing but leave negative feedback for others....it's going to stay.

overclock said:   We really need to start a list of buyers to block.

http://www.toolhaus.org/ I think fits the bill better than nothing.

I received my first non-positive feedback recently. The buyer said "Arrived fast" and left neutral feedback. I have no idea why they didn't leave positive feedback and I'm afraid to ask.

cruisencode said:   I received my first non-positive feedback recently. The buyer said "Arrived fast" and left neutral feedback. I have no idea why they didn't leave positive feedback and I'm afraid to ask.

Its possible they hit neutral by mistake. I absolutely would ask.

Dear Buyer,
I see that you left me neutral feedback. I strive to make a positive buying experience for all my eBay buyers. If something went wrong, can you please let me know so I can make it right and learn from my mistakes.

cruisencode said:   I received my first non-positive feedback recently. The buyer said "Arrived fast" and left neutral feedback. I have no idea why they didn't leave positive feedback and I'm afraid to ask.

Obviously you didn't include a packing slip. I would of negged you, then kicked your dog.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014