ebay.com

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
So I bought a cell phone on eBay.com
The listing stated it as a working but refurb phone and NOT accepting returns.

When I received the phone, it turns out that the phone is not working at all. No signal. I have tried almost every possible way to make it work, but no result.
Now I am in Asia, and would only be able to return in like 3 months.
What are my options now?

Thanks

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have you contacted the seller?

tlaxson said:   Have you contacted the seller?

Yes, I did. He only asked me to try a few updates on the phone, which I am still trying.

montoou said:   tlaxson said:   Have you contacted the seller?

Yes, I did. He only asked me to try a few updates on the phone, which I am still trying.

Try them, then contact him again.

Should I talk to him first, or should I raise a dispute now and continue talking, any suggestions?

montoou said:   
Now I am in Asia, and would only be able to return in like 3 months.

What part of Asia has no mail but internet service? Or do you mean you don't want to pay the expense?

If you were to open the dispute now, and if the seller knows you are in Asia, he will probably say 'return it for a full refund'. You will have a limited amount of time to return it to him.

Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.
Will I be compensated for the return shipping? BTW, the seller had NO return accepted in return policy. But also said the item was 100% working, which it isn't.

montoou said:   Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.

As a seller, I would tell you to return it. If you were planning on taking it out of the country, I would assume you tested it before you left. I would not wait around 3 months for you to be back in the states.

Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.

As a seller, I would tell you to return it. If you were planning on taking it out of the country, I would assume you tested it before you left. I would not wait around 3 months for you to be back in the states.

You are fair on your side but I see it as the seller's fault because he sent me a totally faulty item while writing "100% working/functional" in the listing.

montoou said:   Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.

You are fair on your side but I see it as the seller's fault because he sent me a totally faulty item while writing "100% working/functional" in the listing.

I would agree with you completely. He is at fault, and eBay will allow you to return it. However, their returns process does not last 3 months while you are out of the country. That is a risk you decided to take. As a seller, I make mistakes, and I'll take responsibility for them. Waiting 3 months for you, assuming I believe you, is not something I'm going to do. I'm more like to assume you needed a phone while overseas, and once you are back, you are going to return it, getting phone usage for free while overseas.

Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.

I would agree with you completely. He is at fault, and eBay will allow you to return it. However, their returns process does not last 3 months while you are out of the country. That is a risk you decided to take. As a seller, I make mistakes, and I'll take responsibility for them. Waiting 3 months for you, assuming I believe you, is not something I'm going to do. I'm more like to assume you needed a phone while overseas, and once you are back, you are going to return it, getting phone usage for free while overseas.

In case I return it from here in Asia, would I be compensated for the shipping charges?

montoou said:   Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Treefarn said:   montoou said:   Mail service is available but the shipping charges would be HUGE.

In case I return it from here in Asia, would I be compensated for the shipping charges?

No, buyers are responsible for return shipping as per eBay policies.

OP, are you sure the shipping charge to return the phone would be that outrageous? I assume it would be going back to the U.S., and some countries do subsidize postal costs to the U.S. such that it's not as bad as one might think to ship internationally. Alternatively, if a friend, relative, or colleague currently in your location would be returning to the U.S. soon you could ask that person to take the phone back home and then ship it domestically for you.

About the partial refund, do I talk to the seller or open a case. I was going to open a case, it says "Contact the seller first" and if no resolution is made they are here to help.
So, should I open a case now or wait for the seller to reply. I sent him a message like more than 24 hours ago.

How long ago was the purchase?

Please remember it's the holiday season, your seller may be out of town or delayed responding for other reasons. 24 hours isn't a whole lot of time to wait. If your seller has been responsive so far, try to work with him rather than pulling out the big guns (aka opening a case).

tlaxson said:   How long ago was the purchase?

Please remember it's the holiday season, your seller may be out of town or delayed responding for other reasons. 24 hours isn't a whole lot of time to wait. If your seller has been responsive so far, try to work with him rather than pulling out the big guns (aka opening a case).

Purchase was on 15th of this month.
Last message I sent was on 25th, and no reply yet.

Its been 3 days but the seller is not replying.
While opening the case, under the field "How can eBay help you?" - If I choose full refund - I'll have to send the whole package back?
Secondly, can I write partial refund in this field to cover the cost of repair?

If you want a full refund, you're pretty much going to have to return the item. If you want a partial refund, the seller may think that the item works and you are fishing for a discount.

tlaxson said:   If you want a full refund, you're pretty much going to have to return the item. If you want a partial refund, the seller may think that the item works and you are fishing for a discount.

I can upload the video showing the problem.

EDIT
He didn't replied to be for like 4 days, and now that I have opened the case, he replied under 10 hours.

well, are you sure the phone is supposed to work there? Say it's CDMA and there's no CDMA coverage? Or it's only dual band instead of quad-band and neither of the two GSM bands work there? Maybe that's why it doesn't get a connection...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014