• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I just got a eBay buyer claims that the laptop I sent him was a stack of paper in the box. My PayPal account has been debited the amount of the laptop, and he claims to send the package back for a full refund and I have to pay the shipping of return. How do I fight this scammer? I had delivery confirmation and insurance on my package, and also took pictures of the laptop before shipping. I posted these pictures in this case, but buyer said my pictures can not be a proof since I might take pictures then change the laptop to paper instead. I think I'm about to lose my money and my laptop. Any help or suggestion? Thanks

Member Summary

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Just curious, what was the buyers feedback rating? Single digits?

Report theft by him to his local police and your local police.

sloppy1 said:   Report theft by him to his local police and your local police.

Won't do any good if the buyer is from a foreign country.

Not saying this is the case in this matter...but you see it all the time with sleazy new resellers (with the latest laptop/phone/game system) getting taken by experienced scammers.

Paypal/eBay will usually look at your track record (sales/feedback/length of selling, etc)...in iffy cases.

If you are a new seller OP (and even though you are in the right)...it might be a big (financial) pill you'll be forced to swallow.

respdoc said:   sloppy1 said:   Paypal/eBay will usually look at your track record (sales/feedback/length of selling, etc)...in iffy cases.

If you are a new seller OP (and even though you are in the right)...it might be a big (financial) pill you'll be forced to swallow.


wjkomo said:   Just curious, what was the buyers feedback rating? Single digits?

The buyer has over 200 feedback and all are positive. I only have 5. eBay is investigating this case since the buyer opened a dispute.

Kujira said:   

The buyer has over 200 feedback and all are positive.



That's quite odd. Good luck...you'll need it.

Is it time to install spyware on laptops before shipping them?

killme2 said:   Is it time to install spyware on laptops before shipping them?

Unfortunately, the laptop I sold was brand new and sealed.

File a claim with the postal service for theft of the laptop. Make sure they get a postal inspector assigned. Is it possible that the box was opened and the laptop stolen while in transit?

bobbybore said:   Is it possible that the box was opened and the laptop stolen while in transit?


and replaced it with a stack of paper ?? Not likely.


If the buyer has a high positive feedback (and eBay finds out the buyer doesn't have a history of bogus claims)...my best guess would be it was someone who hacked into another's account (one that been inactive or they know the rightful owner doesn't check their account/email often, etc)...changed their shipping information to their own...and got the laptop. Without all the info though...it's only a guess.

respdoc said:   bobbybore said:   Is it possible that the box was opened and the laptop stolen while in transit?

and replaced it with a stack of paper ?? Not likely.If the buyer has a high positive feedback (and eBay finds out the buyer doesn't have a history of bogus claims)...my best guess would be it was someone who hacked into another's account (one that been inactive or they know the rightful owner doesn't check their account/email often, etc)...changed their shipping information to their own...and got the laptop. Without all the info though...it's only a guess.


Your guess were right. I reported this case to local police last week and was informed yesterday that the buyer's account got hacked by someone. Now the hold on my PayPal transaction has been removed. However, my question is how come the accounts were so easy hacked? Both accounts of eBay and PayPal are able to be hacked at the same time? It's really unbelievable.

What happened is that the buyer found out that you reported this to the police and then he chickened-out, changing his story to avoid fraud. That is exactly the reason for you to report these kind of scams to the police - to get the buyer to back down.

sloppy1 said:   What happened is that the buyer found out that you reported this to the police and then he chickened-out, changing his story to avoid fraud. That is exactly the reason for you to report these kind of scams to the police - to get the buyer to back down.

I just reported it to police that I sold a computer at eBay and got scammed by a buyer. My friend helped me to explain the details to the police because of my poor English.

Kujira said:   However, my question is how come the accounts were so easy hacked? Both accounts of eBay and PayPal are able to be hacked at the same time? It's really unbelievable.

You would be stunned at how many people use the same password at every website, and/or use a ridiculously insecure password like "password."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386533,00.asp

One of the most shocking things he found (although it's not shocking if you are a password reuser yourself) is that 88 people had both a Gawker and Sony account with the same email address, and 67 percent of them used the same password. It's a small sample size, but an interesting figure nonetheless. And a Security Week study last year reported that 75 percent of people use the same password for Facebook and an email account.

http://xato.net/passwords/more-top-worst-passwords/#more-269

sloppy1 said:   What happened is that the buyer found out that you reported this to the police and then he chickened-out, changing his story to avoid fraud.


Maybe, maybe not. A lot of people were silly enough to recently sign up for that eBay Russian gift cert. thing. If someone did something similar to that...it wouldn't be hard to run a password program and get into the program (given the password was easy to figure out).

Luckily...for OP...it seemed to all work(ing) out.

respdoc said:   bobbybore said:   Is it possible that the box was opened and the laptop stolen while in transit?


and replaced it with a stack of paper ?? Not likely.


If the buyer has a high positive feedback (and eBay finds out the buyer doesn't have a history of bogus claims)...my best guess would be it was someone who hacked into another's account (one that been inactive or they know the rightful owner doesn't check their account/email often, etc)...changed their shipping information to their own...and got the laptop. Without all the info though...it's only a guess.


Did the hacker then send a stack of paper to the buyer (although if the buyer is really a hacker he would lie about this)? I think the buyer backed down after the police got involved and he dropped the case.

bobbybore said:   

Did the hacker then send a stack of paper to the buyer? I think the buyer backed down after the police got involved and he dropped the case.



No one said that the possible hacker didn't get into the account just for "credibility" issues...meaning the hacker used their own address, CC info but just just stole that persons account status/history to get both the item and win the case.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014