• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hey all . . . It's been so long since I shipped out anything in a tube, I need a quick refresher. I have a lot of stamps to unload, so unless there is an overwhelming reason to use other than USPS, I'd prefer using USPS. I'll want Delivery Confirmation (obviously) and Insurance. Where the heck do I get one of those tubes? Staples?

Thanks guys!

TYT

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TYTBUDGET said:   Hey all . . . It's been so long since I shipped out anything in a tube, I need a quick refresher. I have a lot of stamps to unload, so unless there is an overwhelming reason to use other than USPS, I'd prefer using USPS. I'll want Delivery Confirmation (obviously) and Insurance. Where the heck do I get one of those tubes? Staples?

Thanks guys!

TYT

Smart sellers do not buy insurance (quoted from Sam, eBay)
And I agree.

yesidonoitall said:   

Depends how much it's worth. If he's shipping in a tube, I would guess not a lot. I wouldn't bother with insurance either in that case.

yesidonoitall said:   TYTBUDGET said:   Hey all . . . It's been so long since I shipped out anything in a tube, I need a quick refresher. I have a lot of stamps to unload, so unless there is an overwhelming reason to use other than USPS, I'd prefer using USPS. I'll want Delivery Confirmation (obviously) and Insurance. Where the heck do I get one of those tubes? Staples?

Thanks guys!

TYT

And I agree.

why would you not want to buy insurance? Is the cost of self-insuring (meaning that you eat the costs if something is lost) less than buying insurance for each and every transaction?

I use insurance on each transaction - I trust no one.

BankofGreed said:   
why would you not want to buy insurance? Is the cost of self-insuring (meaning that you eat the costs if something is lost) less than buying insurance for each and every transaction?

Yes. A hundred dollar package might cost $3 to insure. The PO would need to lose/damage one out of every 33 packages to make insurance worthwhile. Their loss rate isn't nearly that high. A really expensive item may throw things out of whack if it gets lost so I do insure really expensive stuff.

BankofGreed said:   yesidonoitall said:   TYTBUDGET said:   Hey all . . . It's been so long since I shipped out anything in a tube, I need a quick refresher. I have a lot of stamps to unload, so unless there is an overwhelming reason to use other than USPS, I'd prefer using USPS. I'll want Delivery Confirmation (obviously) and Insurance. Where the heck do I get one of those tubes? Staples?

Thanks guys!

TYT

And I agree.

To answer your question: I have sold over 5,000 transactions on eBay and did not buy insurance. It would have cost me about $15,000 to insure every shipment. I have lost about 2 domestic shipments and about 15 international shipments (or so the buyers claimed - I think in most cases it just arrived very late). My total losses were about $500.

If you sell a lot of items that are of fairly low value and don't ship internationally or to high risk countries then insuring every transaction does not make economic sense. Only insure high value items that you can't afford to lose.

george2001 said:   This?

Outstanding George, thanks man. Look regarding the insurance thing . . . you have to understand this is not a commodity item I'm selling. If I was selling a commodity, mass-produced item, I'd rarely get insurance. In any event, insurance is for my peace of mind, no one else's. I can't ever get another one of these, and it gets extra lovin' for that reason.

TYT

Just make sure to provide a packing slip....

woowoo2 said:   Just make sure to provide a packing slip....
Spell it out for me woowoo, you're talking to a genuine novice (as Seller heh).

TYT

TYTBUDGET said:   woowoo2 said:   Just make sure to provide a packing slip....
Spell it out for me woowoo, you're talking to a genuine novice (as Seller heh).

TYT

It's a poke at yesidonoitall.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014