FedEx Ground insurance claim?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Does anyone have experience dealing with FedEx Ground insurance claim for shipping damage? Are they easy to work with or you have to fight them tooth and nail to get anything like UPS? FYI, I sold a bike. It was slightly damaged during transit inside the box and needs a replacement part. There was no visible damage on the box according to the buyer. Do I have a chance? Thanks!

Member Summary

LongDongSilver said:   Does anyone have experience dealing with FedEx Ground insurance claim for shipping damage? Are they easy to work with or you have to fight them tooth and nail to get anything like UPS? FYI, I sold a bike. It was slightly damaged during transit inside the box and needs a replacement part. There was no visible damage on the box according to the buyer. Do I have a chance? Thanks!

Like all other freight carriers you deal with their insurance company and not FedEx. For FedEx, claims are usually pretty easy as long as you have met their minimum packing requirements and you shipped through a real FedEx account (ie no retail counter drop-off shipments). Even with a FedEx account the amount of work you will have to do to defend your claim depends on the amount of the claim and your proof of condition prior to shipment. For small infrequent claims under $100 they usually just pay without question. However, even for small claims, if they ask the recipient of the shipment and the recipient tells them there was no visible damage to the outside of the box then most-likely your in-transit claim will automatically get denied due to insufficient packing. You can still appeal but without documented prior condition and proof of how you packed your shipment you are basically SOL. Also, FedEx declared value insurance does not simply pay for a replacement part or repair for a damaged item. Instead they will pay the value of the claim based on your proven declared value of the entire shipement. For high value claims they will also want the recipient to turn over the damaged shipment which they will not return to you or the buyer. If the replacement parts is inexpensive and the buyer is happy otherwise it may be less hassle to simply send the buyer a replacement and eat the cost.

cnIsfg said:   If the replacement parts is inexpensive and the buyer is happy otherwise it may be less hassle to simply send the buyer a replacement and eat the cost.

The buyer took the bike to the bike shop for repair with the repair quote pending. It's like writing him a blank check at this point. Should I reimburse him upfront out of my pocket or wait for FedEx?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014