Which international countries to avoid?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm selling "high risk" electronic items and trying to figure out which countries to avoid. I'm not talking about the obvious places like Nigeria. I'm talking about established international countries like Italy that is notorious for having poor online EMI tracking. You are almost guaranteed to lose the INR case without valid tracking if someone there wants to pull a fast one on you. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

LongDongSilver said:   I'm selling "high risk" electronic items and trying to figure out which countries to avoid. I'm not talking about the obvious places like Nigeria. I'm talking about established international countries like Italy that is notorious for having poor online EMI tracking. You are almost guaranteed to lose the INR case without valid tracking if someone there wants to pull a fast one on you. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The only place i had problems selling 'high risk' electronic items were Russia and Ukraine. Items lost in customs, items removed from boxes, resealed, then shipped by to me BY CUSTOMS saying the weight didn't match what I said it should weigh.

India doesn't handle EMI properly, I had a $1200 dispute over something I sent to India by EMI that got no tracking status in India (I won thankfully).

My buyers in the UK and France get big Customs bills and this makes them unhappy. Koreans seem to have Customs issues too.

I don't sell "high risk" stuff. I doubt I'd send iPads or whatever aboard.

Don't sell high value stuff internationally. You are only asking for trouble.
If you decide to sell, Australia has been good, I believe items are customs free up to $1,000. Mail delivery is good and reliable. Don't sell to South America or Italy, tracking is bad and Italian customs are very slow. UK & Ireland have good, fast mail service but duties are high. Spain has good mail service but customs is strict and duties are high.

All of them.....

Avoid any that do not have a US zip code.
I sell quite often to Saipan, Guam and Puerto Rico....
Once in a while a Puerto Rico addy causes problems, it is on the layout they use.

And only ship there using USPS Priority Mail.

woowoo2 said:   All of them.....

This is the correct answer. I won't even ship to Canada.

qube said:   woowoo2 said:   All of them.....

Canada is about the same as shipping to US - first class international now has tracking.

bobbybore said:   qube said:   woowoo2 said:   All of them.....

Canada is about the same as shipping to US - first class international now has tracking.

Shipping to Canada is very slow resulting in unhappy buyers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.