• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This is a new one one me!

Sold an item in December. This week it's returned to me, unannounced, by the buyer's estate executor - "please refund, they died and didn't even open this". It came back in the same box I shipped it out in. My first thought was sad they died, then I thought - "Hang on, how is this my problem? They *did* buy this, it did get delivered to them, that they died 0 to 60 days later is nothing to do with me! Is the estate executor returning boxes of unused Corn Flakes to the store for a refund too?"

What would you do?

THANKFULLY I DID NOT INCLUDE A PACKING SLIP SO UNLESS THEY HAVE THE BUYER'S LOGIN GETTING THE ITEM NUMBER AND FINDING OUT WHO I AM BEYOND MY MAILBOX WILL BE DIFFICULT. PACKING SLIPS - JUST SAY NO.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You could handle it the way AT&T and many other companies would: Respond to the executor telling him to get the primary... (more)

BradMajors (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 12:28a) |

Sure you can decide who sent what from your purchase list..
Not.

Most silly attitude from a fellow fatwallter
Time is money... (more)

yesidonoitall (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 12:38a) |

Vote with your wallet. If eBay sellers do not include packing slips, take your business elsewhere.

JamesTKirk (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 6:54a) |

Well, if you believe in karma, verify the buyer did really die. Refund minus shipping costs. If you don't believe in anything, eff em.

ganda said:   

What would you do?

Refrain from using poisonous packing tape..

I would not refund the money. The sale was made, the buyer wanted the item. The executor should have contacted you prior to shipping the item back. The executor's job is to dispose of the assets, they can go and sell it. Are we talking a $20 item or a $2000 one?

ganda said:    PACKING SLIPS - JUST SAY NO.

Ahahahaa. Yet another reason why including packing slips is a bad idea.

ganda said:   This is a new one one me!

Sold an item in December. This week it's returned to me, unannounced, by the buyer's estate executor - "please refund, they died and didn't even open this". It came back in the same box I shipped it out in. My first thought was sad they died, then I thought - "Hang on, how is this my problem? They *did* buy this, it did get delivered to them, that they died 0 to 60 days later is nothing to do with me! Is the estate executor returning boxes of unused Corn Flakes to the store for a refund too?"

What would you do?

THANKFULLY I DID NOT INCLUDE A PACKING SLIP SO UNLESS THEY HAVE THE BUYER'S LOGIN GETTING THE ITEM NUMBER AND FINDING OUT WHO I AM BEYOND MY MAILBOX WILL BE DIFFICULT. PACKING SLIPS - JUST SAY NO.

What possible diff does it make when a buyer croaks if a packing slip was enclosed or not.

A good seller does include a packing slip.
Buyers need to id who is sending them the item and what it is.....
Some do not get that, but that explains seller mentality (or lack of it)

It was a fairly low value item. I'm just going to keep it and sell it again later. If the estate executor had contacted me I'd have told them "no, you can't send it back".

yesidonoitall said:   

What possible diff does it make when a buyer croaks if a packing slip was enclosed or not.

If only you could read....

"THANKFULLY I DID NOT INCLUDE A PACKING SLIP SO UNLESS THEY HAVE THE BUYER'S LOGIN GETTING THE ITEM NUMBER AND FINDING OUT WHO I AM BEYOND MY MAILBOX WILL BE DIFFICULT. PACKING SLIPS - JUST SAY NO."

yesidonoitall said:   

True...and your's has to be around preschool level...if you can't figure out how to keep your own records of purchases.

Treefarn said:   yesidonoitall said:   

If only you could read....

"THANKFULLY I DID NOT INCLUDE A PACKING SLIP SO UNLESS THEY HAVE THE BUYER'S LOGIN GETTING THE ITEM NUMBER AND FINDING OUT WHO I AM BEYOND MY MAILBOX WILL BE DIFFICULT. PACKING SLIPS - JUST SAY NO."

Yes, the seller (who has seller mentality) did not include a packing slip.

respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   

True...and your's has to be around preschool level...if you can't figure out how to keep your own records of purchases.

If you are a small little piss ant type buyer that is true.
Us substantial buyers who end up with a dozen on the same item in front them will no idea who sent what.
Then what.
I will tell you what, they all get negged.

Let me enlighten the unenlightened....
One package is from John Jones of Reseda Calif
After a long look at all I bought I find:
I bought nothing from a seller named John Jones who is located in Reseda Ca, now what.

I bought nothing from a seller named John Jones who is located in Reseda Ca, now what.

yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   

You have been explained this many times before. If you need to stop and take notes...feel free.

You can easily retrieve all that information from your eBay and/or Paypal history.

Sorry Big Time Spender...if you can't keep track of your own spending....buy less...or hire a pet monkey to be your book keeper.

respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   

You have been explained this many times before. If you need to stop and take notes...feel free.

You can easily retrieve all that information from your eBay and/or Paypal history.

Sorry Big Time Spender...if you can't keep track of your own spending....buy less...or hire a pet monkey to be your book keeper.

RE:

How so in these scenario (which a knowledgeable buyer will not is correct)

yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   

RE:

Its quite simple actually.

I presume you are buying smart phones, MOST of which will probably be sent with tracking #s. Those are traceable in your My eBay section as well.
And lets say you can't figure it out by tracking #, because they didn't enter that info in eBay. Ok, so you know you have a phone John Jones in Receda. You also know you are expecting a phone from Joe Schome from Los Angeles. When your phone from Joe Schmoe doesn't arrive, you are going to send him a message saying 'I haven't gotten your phone, did you send it'. And he's going to either give you a tracking # or say he sent it without tracking. And you will reply 'Did you send it with your own address on it?' and he will reply 'No, the return address is John Jones in Receda'

Yes, you had to send a few messages, but lets not pretend you had to put in hours of work to figure it out.

Treefarn said:   yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   respdoc said:   yesidonoitall said:   

RE:

Its quite simple actually.

I presume you are buying smart phones, MOST of which will probably be sent with tracking #s. Those are traceable in your My eBay section as well.
And lets say you can't figure it out by tracking #, because they didn't enter that info in eBay. Ok, so you know you have a phone John Jones in Receda. You also know you are expecting a phone from Joe Schome from Los Angeles. When your phone from Joe Schmoe doesn't arrive, you are going to send him a message saying 'I haven't gotten your phone, did you send it'. And he's going to either give you a tracking # or say he sent it without tracking. And you will reply 'Did you send it with your own address on it?' and he will reply 'No, the return address is John Jones in Receda'

Yes, you had to send a few messages, but lets not pretend you had to put in hours of work to figure it out.

RE:
And you will reply 'Did you send it with your own address on it?' and he will reply 'No, the return address is John Jones in Receda'

Wow, I am only the buyer, the customer, the king, am I supposed go through all those hoops?
If the sellers include the packing slip a known needed item, then said seller can avoid a neg.
Sellers:
Your choice, include a packing slip or be negged.

I'd simply send back a letter saying "No thank you, the item was purchased by the deceased and now belongs to the estate." Let them know if they want the item back they can pay you to reship it, otherwise you won't. Either way, that's for them to figure out what to do with it. It's tempting to be more forgiving since the guy died. But you're not being nice to him - you would be being nice to the executor of the estate and he's being a jerk by just mailing it without contacting you first.

yesidonoitall said:   
Sellers:

Feel free to buy from me. I've found the perfect place to stick your packing slip.

Sellers:

Feel free to buy from me. I've found the a perfect place to stick your packing slip.

I do not get it, sellers are crying the blues over no sales, a simple really
no cost thing to them can give buyer satisfaction but they fight it all the way.

yesidonoitall said:   

no cost thing to them can give buyer satisfaction but they fight it all the way.

No one said you can't ask for your special request.

The problem, my imaginary All-Mighty friend...is when you "demand or else"..

No one said you can't ask for your special request.

The problem, my imaginary All-Mighty friend...is when you "demand or else"..

A PS is not a demand, it is standard business practice to include some paper work to indicate what is in the package and from who.
Some eBay seller include a business card with their name, to not acceptable....

Item number and seller is needed.
Item description also.

yesidonoitall said:   

A PS is not a demand, it is standard business practice to include some paper work to indicate what is in the package and from who.
Some eBay seller include a business card with their name, to not acceptable....

Item number and seller is needed.
Item description also.

Your "special request" is noted.

Can anyone tell me why he buys so many mobile phones? I want in on that market.

BrianGa said:    I want in on that market.

No you don't...as what he does with phones (and laptops) is quite full of scammers.

People usually aren't honest in how many times they got scammed in that market...so expect them to only point out how many "great" sales they made. Imagine it as your friend's Vegas stories.

BrianGa said:   Can anyone tell me why he buys so many mobile phones? I want in on that market.

Are you referring to me?

respdoc said:   BrianGa said:    I want in on that market.

No you don't...as what he does with phones (and laptops) is quite full of scammers.

People usually aren't honest in how many times they got scammed in that market...so expect them to only point out how many "great" sales they made. Imagine it as your friend's Vegas stories.

Laptops and cell phones.
Not having to pay sales tax is a 10% gain over most other sellers.
As a buyer yes scammed by several eBay sellers on cell phones, however all was ok in the end.

All buyers get a packing slip except for the occasional one who is buying as a gift.
And the Amazon and eBay sellers who use me to drop ship their sales.

Sellers:

Feel free to buy from me. I've found the perfect place to stick your packing slip.

Made me laugh Wish I can green this twice!

yesidonoitall said:   All buyers get a packing slip except for the occasional one who is buying as a gift.

Just admit that you're just too lazy to keep track of your winnings. End of discussion.

not this again.

You could handle it the way AT&T and many other companies would: Respond to the executor telling him to get the primary account holder (the deceased person) to give you a call to straighten the mater out. For privacy reasons you are not allowed to speak to anyone other than the primary account holder.

applepielicious said:   yesidonoitall said:   All buyers get a packing slip except for the occasional one who is buying as a gift.

Just admit that you're just too lazy to keep track of your winnings. End of discussion.

Sure you can decide who sent what from your purchase list..
Not.

Time is money, do I get paid by the sellers to decipher who sent what.
I rest my case.

yesidonoitall said:   
Time is money, do I get paid by the sellers to decipher who sent what.
I rest my case.

Vote with your wallet. If eBay sellers do not include packing slips, take your business elsewhere.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014