Purchasing eBay item billed outside of eBay

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
So I was hoping someone could explain this. I avoid purchasing auctions like these, because I don't trust them, but tell me what is the seller's reason for this, and would a purchase be covered under Buyer Protection? I assume the seller is trying to avoid eBay fees? Although he would still get charged a final value fee, so I don't understand. Maybe it avoids the hold period for getting the funds?

" I will take $259 through paypal invoice only. If your interested, message me with your email address you use through paypal and I will send you an invoice so you can pay. Will be shipped the next business day. Let me know if you have any questions.

Member Summary

Treefarn said:    I avoid purchasing auctions like these, because I don't trust them, but tell me what is the seller's reason for this, and would a purchase be covered under Buyer Protection?

So you know it sounds like a scam...but your still considering buying it...and if it would be covered under Buyer Protection ?

A little hard to always feel sorry for the "victims" of scams...when some willingly walk into them.

Yes, he is trying to avoid eBay's fees. As described he would have to pay PP fees, but there would be no FVF since you did not buy it through the eBay system.

Paypal only sales do have buyer protection.

respdoc said:   Treefarn said:    I avoid purchasing auctions like these, because I don't trust them, but tell me what is the seller's reason for this, and would a purchase be covered under Buyer Protection?

So you know it sounds like a scam...but your still considering buying it...and if it would be covered under Buyer Protection ?

A little hard to always feel sorry for the "victims" of scams...when some willingly walk into them.

No, as I said, 'I avoid purchasing auctions like these'. I was just wondering WHY the seller is doing it.

comprx said:    there would be no FVF since you did not buy it through the eBay system.

No, i don't think thats the case.

He still wants the auction to go through, he just doesn't want you go pay through eBay, he wants to send an invoice through Paypal. Perhaps later he asks 'Can we cancel the listing?'

Treefarn said:   

No, as I said, 'I avoid purchasing auctions like these'. I was just wondering WHY the seller is doing it.

Does it really matter, Detective ? Also your interest in Buyer Protection shows more than just "wondering."

You pay outside of eBay regulations..you won't be covered. It's that simple. KISS principle easily is...and should...be applied to online auctions.

respdoc said:   Treefarn said:   

Does it really matter, Detective ? Also your interest in Buyer Protection shows more than just "wondering."

You pay outside of eBay regulations..you won't be covered. It's that simple. KISS principle easily is...and should...be applied to online auctions.

RE:
You pay outside of eBay regulations..you won't be covered. It's that simple

Correct, no eBay buyer protection, but there is Paypals, the same thing.

Treefarn said:   comprx said:    there would be no FVF since you did not buy it through the eBay system.

No, i don't think thats the case.

He still wants the auction to go through, he just doesn't want you go pay through eBay, he wants to send an invoice through Paypal. Perhaps later he asks 'Can we cancel the listing?'

The seller is clearly stating the price is less if billed and sold thru Paypal for a non eBay sale
(he is indicating a saving doing so)

He is still having to pay the eBay fees, and you still get the eBay guarantee. As long as you pay by credit card, you have nothing to worry about.

He is trying to avoid PayPal fees, not eBay fees.

But frankly, you have given so little information, it is hard to figure out what he is really doing.

MitchFlorida said:   He is still having to pay the eBay fees, and you still get the eBay guarantee. As long as you pay by credit card, you have nothing to worry about.

But frankly, you have given so little information, it is hard to figure out what he is really doing.

I can't more info other than what was in the listing, since I didn't purchase the item.

(a seller's perspective)

I do sales like this fairly often, sometimes the buyer even suggests cutting eBay out of the deal (they still get money thru PayPal). If we're having trouble agreeing on a price, me not paying eBay FVFs means I can pass that saving onto the buyer. It's a win-win for both the buyer and the seller, the only loser is eBay (and frankly, oh boo hoo).

I'm a long established seller with an exemplary record, I clearly don't rip people off. I wouldn't do this with a seller who doesn't look squeaky clean.

Some people *are* too trusting. I had a guy send me $4000 cash once. I would NOT do that (I didn't rip him off).

MitchFlorida said:   He is still having to pay the eBay fees, and you still get the eBay guarantee. As long as you pay by credit card, you have nothing to worry about.

RE:
" I will take $259 through paypal invoice only.

What?
How is that avoiding PP fees?

Frankly I could barely understand what he was writing. English may not be his first language.

If the seller was trying to avoid legitimate eBay fees, I would have reported him to eBay, but that's me.

ganda said:   (a seller's perspective)

I do sales like this fairly often, sometimes the buyer even suggests cutting eBay out of the deal (they still get money thru PayPal). If we're having trouble agreeing on a price, me not paying eBay FVFs means I can pass that saving onto the buyer. It's a win-win for both the buyer and the seller, the only loser is eBay (and frankly, oh boo hoo).

I'm a long established seller with an exemplary record, I clearly don't rip people off. I wouldn't do this with a seller who doesn't look squeaky clean.

Some people *are* too trusting. I had a guy send me $4000 cash once. I would NOT do that (I didn't rip him off).

Is there a way to actually say that in a listing? I know eBay cracks down on listings which suggest going outside of eBay. Do you proactively offer to go through paypal whenever a buyer contacts you, or do you wait for the buyuers to suggest it?

I have done this a few times with buyers who ask for a discount. Like you said, its a win-win for everyone.

MitchFlorida said:   Frankly I could barely understand what he was writing. English may not be his first language.

If the seller was trying to avoid legitimate eBay fees, I would have reported him to eBay, but that's me.

The seller is offering to sell it outside of eBay right in the item description.

BankofGreed said:   ganda said:   (a seller's perspective)

Is there a way to actually say that in a listing? I know eBay cracks down on listings which suggest going outside of eBay. Do you proactively offer to go through paypal whenever a buyer contacts you, or do you wait for the buyuers to suggest it?

I have done this a few times with buyers who ask for a discount. Like you said, its a win-win for everyone.

RE:
Is there a way to actually say that in a listing?

When I get a prospective buyer using
"ask seller a question"
and he questions the price
I reply with my eMail addy
the best eBay seller at charter dot net
(That keeps the bots from saying you cannot use an eMail addy in the reply)
And ask the seller to contact me direct and then offer PP direct at a saving.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014