Refuse USPS delivery

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I bought an item from an Amazon seller. He botched the order and totally missed the estimated delivery date. USPS just delivered the item and left it in my mailbox. Seller said if I no longer want it, I should refuse USPS delivery and send it back for a refund. Do I just write refuse delivery/return to sender on the package and put it back in the mail and USPS will take care of the rest? How should I protect myself because the seller can always claim he never received the item and refuse a refund? Thanks!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I never refused a package so no clue. However if they keep scanning the delivery confirmation on the box on the way back, then the seller won't be able to prove delivery to you.

Take it to the PO, unopened, and tell then you are refusing it. Assuming it has a tracking label it should show return progress.

Refused item tracking can be spotty at best. Unless you can prove it was returned...you might not get the refund. Also by the number of threads OP, seems like you have an abnormally high number of problems with eBay/Amazon sellers. Might be best for you to stick with "well-known" online retailers.

JamesTKirk said:   I never refused a package so no clue. However if they keep scanning the delivery confirmation on the box on the way back, then the seller won't be able to prove delivery to you.

Thing is, it has already been delivered. In my experience eBay does not always pick up any other scans after delivered.

I just recently had a package returned due to insufficient address, but the mailman at the other end scanned it as delivered so when I track via eBay it shows delivered in the correct zip code.

ellone said:   JamesTKirk said:   I never refused a package so no clue. However if they keep scanning the delivery confirmation on the box on the way back, then the seller won't be able to prove delivery to you.

Thing is, it has already been delivered. In my experience eBay does not always pick up any other scans after delivered.

I just recently had a package returned due to insufficient address, but the mailman at the other end scanned it as delivered so when I track via eBay it shows delivered in the correct zip code.

RE:
In my experience eBay does not always pick up any other scans after delivered.

What eBay shows means nothing, it is what the USPS shows for the DC number.....
If a problem arises, just give the DC number and eBay or PP will look it up direct....
I have many items on eBay shipping and on my
SHIPPING LABELS
that does not show delivered but the number directly using USPS shows delivered,.

yesidonoitall said:   

What eBay shows means nothing, it is what the USPS shows for the DC number.....
If a problem arises, just give the DC number and eBay or PP will look it up direct....
I have many items on eBay shipping and on my
SHIPPING LABELS
that does not show delivered but the number directly using USPS shows delivered,.

Again...that answer doesn't answer the question asked. Return shipping tracking is spotty (given any site) so it is not recommended to use if the goal is to prove you returned an item shipped and expecting a refund.

LongDongSilver said:   I bought an item from an Amazon seller. He botched the order and totally missed the estimated delivery date. USPS just delivered the item and left it in my mailbox. Seller said if I no longer want it, I should refuse USPS delivery and send it back for a refund. Do I just write refuse delivery/return to sender on the package and put it back in the mail and USPS will take care of the rest? How should I protect myself because the seller can always claim he never received the item and refuse a refund? Thanks!
You're going to have to use some judgement based on the situation to know what to do.

If the seller seems reputable (other than delayed delivery) AND if the value of the item is not too high, I would probably just take to the post office and tell them you are refusing delivery, return to sender.

Otherwise, spend a few $$ and return it with tracking. Or open a dispute and hope eBay will provide ppd label for you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014