Ebay New Everyday Rate Plan Starting 05/01, FVF of 10%

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
New Fees

Get ready to pay a 10% finale value fee unless you sign up for an eBay store. The basic store fee starts at $19.95/month but drops your FVF to as low as 4% for computers or as high as 9% for clothing. Please see link for more info.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Treefarn, have you explored scheduled carrier pickups? If you have at least one Priority Mail item, the entire pickup wi... (more)

tlaxson (May. 13, 2013 @ 9:26p) |

Or you can drop it in one of the blue dropboxes on the street, if it fits.

satchelsofgold (May. 14, 2013 @ 9:21a) |

I did not know that actually. I have never explored it because I work next door to the PO, so I don't mind stopping.

Treefarn (May. 15, 2013 @ 4:51a) |

Rate Calculator - Shows both old and new fees

If you list at a fix price and sold a $350 laptop, the current fee is $19.00, while the new fee without a store would be $35.00. Top rated sellers still get a 20% discount on FVF with or without a store.

Looks like more fees to me...

This is an outrage.
For the consumer electronics category you're going to be paying 43%-209% more than you pay now.

Old vs new fees. Free shipping offered
$20 fvf = $1.40 vs $2 (increase of 43%)
$100 fvf = $6 vs $10 (increase of 66.7%)
$250 fvf = $13.50 vs $25 (increase of 85%)
$500 fvf = $26 vs $50 (increase of 92.3%)
$1,000 fvf = $51 vs $100 (increase of 98%)
$1,500 fvf = $61 vs $150 (increase of 146%)
$2,000 fvf = $71 vs $200 (increase of 182%)
$2,500 fvf = $81 vs $250 (increase of 209%)
$5,000 fvf = $131 vs $250 (increase of 91%)
$10,925 fvf = $250 vs $250

New standard fees starts 4/16/2013

Tike71 said:   This is an outrage.
For the consumer electronics category you're going to be paying 43%-209% more than you pay now.

An outrage?

Looks like they are going to make me buy a store subscription. Besides the money are there any pluses/minuses to having a store?

Didn't it used to be the case that FVF were higher for store than FP and auction, or else for store and FP than auction. It is hard to keep up with so many fee changes.

One more reason to not sell there any more...

Don't forget that you have to pay an additional eBay FVF% and PP% on the new higher eBay fees, assuming you raise your prices to reflect the fee increase.
That comes to total of 1.148 multiplied times new extra amount eBay fees!

So if the increase in your eBay fees is $100, and you raise your selling price by $100, then your true fee increase is $114.80.
So you really have to raise your selling price by $114.80 to break even.
Tricky! And Lotsa luck staying in business!

My new FVF have MORE than doubled or tripled now since I sell items in the $500 - $3000 range.
Old FVF ~3.3% to 6%, new FVF flat 10%.

Even eBay stores FVF have increased.

BTW, Mr Donahue, the CEO of fleabay, just got 80% salary increase!
Really warms my heart!
He now makes 29 million yearly

So if I sell 10 electronic items for $350 each. (+ 20% discount)

Without a store, total fees goes from $158 to $290.

With a store, the fees goes to $194 total ( $174 in fees + $20 for the store).

I really wish one of the big players would step up and challenge eBay. Come on Google. Hell, I'd even welcome Microsoft.

Amazon, which eBay clearly wants to be, doesn't work for me since I don't sell widgets.

Etsy looks like a disaster area, although I've never tried selling there.

Goodbye eBay.

this is one hungry blood sucking fleeeeebay.

Maybe Marissa Mayer has a brilliant plan...
Step 1) Make all employees report to the office instead of working from home - DONE
Step 2) Order employees to dust off and shine up the old Yahoo! Auctions systems - ANY DAY NOW?
Step 3) Run Yahoo! Auctions for free, long enough to destroy eBay - APRIL 1?
Step 4) Start charging for auctions and save Yahoo! from its' imminent death - 2020?

I quit feeBay long ago. Didn't vote for Meg, either.

does it apply on new listings starting Apr 16th? (or) existing listings as well?

Thanks

It applies to anything that actually sells from April 16 forward.

RE:
Increased eBay fees:

Who pays the cost of the seller should have been learned (business 101)

Too bad fleabay is the only game in town if you want the same level of domestic and international exposure for whatever you are selling.

Anyone know if we can now subscribe to the yearly subscription store?

Is it in effect now?

Tike71 said:   This is an outrage.

Old vs new fees. Free shipping offered
$20 fvf = $1.40 vs $2 (increase of 43%)
$100 fvf = $6 vs $10 (increase of 66.7%)
$250 fvf = $13.50 vs $25 (increase of 85%)
$500 fvf = $26 vs $50 (increase of 92.3%)
$1,000 fvf = $51 vs $100 (increase of 98%)
$1,500 fvf = $61 vs $150 (increase of 146%)
$2,000 fvf = $71 vs $200 (increase of 182%)
$2,500 fvf = $81 vs $250 (increase of 209%)
$5,000 fvf = $131 vs $250 (increase of 91%)
$10,925 fvf = $250 vs $250

New standard fees starts 4/16/2013

Really? Why? Too bad.

I am getting hosed. Selling an ipad for $700:
Old fees = $38
New Fees = $75 (not including $25 Paypal fees)

WTF? Thanks eBay for pushing me away.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

eBay doesn't want you selling your iPad. They only want people who are selling 20 iPads, because the quality of goods will (in their mind) be more consistent. As a seller of one item, you don't have much experience and are prone to error. As a seller of 20, you will work harder to provide good customer service, because it will lead to higher profits for you when one seller leaves good feedback.

This seems to be the reason why they lowered the standards for 'Top Seller Discount'. You don't need to sell as much (though still way more than a 'casual' seller would sell).

eBay's original business plan was for small sellers. They have changed strategies.

Have people thought about putting things in the wrong category? Is there a penalty for that?

If you're selling "Snickers" and put them in the computer category they will still sell as anyone looking will do a search for Snickers.

jomarrod said:   I am getting hosed. Selling an ipad for $700:
Old fees = $38
New Fees = $75 (not including $25 Paypal fees)

WTF? Thanks eBay for pushing me away.

If you are paying PP $25 on a $700 payment something is wrong.

Paypal transaction fee would be $20.60 on a $700 payment (assuming within-U.S. sale and no volume discount), so while it's overestimated, it's not off by much.

JamesTKirk said:   Have people thought about putting things in the wrong category? Is there a penalty for that?

If you're selling "Snickers" and put them in the computer category they will still sell as anyone looking will do a search for Snickers.

Your listing may get flagged and there is a penalty for that.

IDIK eBay's new published FVF fee category structure for store owners under their everyday rate store plans does not apply to most subcategories within a published category. For example while they publish a FVF of 4% now applies to the Computers/ Tablets & Networking category main category, most of the subcategories under computer/networking are 6-10%! eBay's answer to this is that any part that goes in a computer is now classified as a consumer electronics listing as far as FVFs are concerned. WTF? There are numerous other examples in other categories. In some case the actual FVF being assessed is 250% more than the new FVF published rate for the main category and I am not talking about the stated exceptions. eBay admits that right now there is no way that even they can tell you what FVF percentage you will be charged per subcategory under their new fee structure. Other than running the updated fee calculator for each listing you are SOL. This is going to be real confusing for those who do not follow eBay billing closely and their rate to be the new published FVF category rate vs. the new much higher rates they are actually being billed. Anyway just a heads up for those expecting otherwise.

10% plus paypal fees maybe another 10% on an item that sells for 10.00 (8.00 +2.50 you pay for shipping) you got for 4.00 you would be loosing money, plus time, packaging and gas to the post office for the small time seller

myluckyboytion said:   10% plus paypal fees maybe another 10% on an item that sells for 10.00 (8.00 +2.50 you pay for shipping) you got for 4.00 you would be loosing money, plus time, packaging and gas to the post office for the small time seller

(I assume math wasn't his best subject in elementary school)

sloppy1 said:   myluckyboytion said:   10% plus paypal fees maybe another 10% on an item that sells for 10.00 (8.00 +2.50 you pay for shipping) you got for 4.00 you would be loosing money, plus time, packaging and gas to the post office for the small time seller

(I assume math wasn't his best subject in elementary school)

Nor was grammar

No one is forcing you to sell anything. Who drives to the post office anymore? If you can't figure out how to click on Print Postage....maybe eBay isn't for you.

qube said:   No one is forcing you to sell anything. Who drives to the post office anymore? If you can't figure out how to click on Print Postage....maybe eBay isn't for you.

Even after printing postage, I still have to drop the package at the post office

Treefarn, have you explored scheduled carrier pickups? If you have at least one Priority Mail item, the entire pickup will be no charge.

Or you can drop it in one of the blue dropboxes on the street, if it fits.

tlaxson said:   Treefarn, have you explored scheduled carrier pickups? If you have at least one Priority Mail item, the entire pickup will be no charge.

I did not know that actually. I have never explored it because I work next door to the PO, so I don't mind stopping.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014