• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

This category was developed for the discussion of online auctions and their associated questions, problems and other issues. No auction "pimping" allowed! (Don't try to get free advertising for your auctions here)

Expectations of Forum Tone & Behavior

Be nice.

You want more? Okay, I'll explain.

Be nice because it promotes better discussion. When people feel attacked they get defensive. The topic gets derailed onto personal issues, and productive discussion ends. Nobody wins here.

If you were sending a friend or family member to the forums, how would you want them to be treated?

Stick to the topic. Criticize the argument but not the individual. If you have a strong case, there's no need to attack the other person's character to make your point.*

And let me be clear, personal attacks aren't just direct namecalling. These are all attacks to the intelligence and character of the poster and not acceptable:
- "Even you can understand this."
- "Let me put this in simple terms you can understand."
- "Only an idiot would think that."
- "I think I lost IQ points just reading that."
- "I will not dignify that nonsense with a response."

Be respectful and bring value to the conversation. Explain your criticism. Differences of opinion are great! ...if both sides take the time to explain themselves. Don't just have a duck season/rabbit season argument.

Good examples:
- "I hate to burst your bubble, but that hard drive has gotten some pretty terrible reviews: Link"
- "Good price, but mine broke after a week"
- "Found it cheaper here: Link"
- "Rebate kills this deal. Company XYZ is notorious for not honoring their rebates."
- "I'll have to disagree. In my experience..."
- "Really? I was just reading this article that says the exact opposite..."

Want to avoid the drama and running afoul the moderation team? I'll let you in on this simple, time-tested strategy:

Be more polite than you think is necessary.

*Excellent video discussing "What You Said vs. Who You Are". Hint: You want to be having the first conversation. It has examples specific to discussing race, but the basic principle applies to any conversation.

Ads by Google
rated:
Thank you Tim!

That is all.

rated:
Nice. I also like the term "pimping".... a nice addition to my vocabulary.

rated:
Thanks, Tim! Now maybe the threads in Deal Discussion will actually pertain to a ... Deal Discussion!

rated:
Finally!

rated:
No pimping? Oh man. What are my girls gonna do now?

rated:
galawdawg said:

<< Thanks, Tim! Now maybe the threads in Deal Discussion will actually pertain to a ... Deal Discussion! >>

haha. fat chance

rated:
DrummerJoe said:

<< haha. fat chance >>

Is that the new gambling site I hear Tim's been thinking about?

rated:
DeelHunter said:

<< DrummerJoe said:

<< haha. fat chance >>

Is that the new gambling site I hear Tim's been thinking about?
>>

I knew I'd get a little spin on those words.

rated:
If anyone is interested, I'm auctioning off 3 ladies of the night from my stable. Bids start at $20 a night each. I will combine s/h if you win more than 1.

-----------

Oops, sorry ... you said no auction pimping .... I broke the rules!

rated:
Thankyou, this is my new home

rated:
This is a very good idea.

rated:
Thank you!

rated:
excellent idea!

rated:
yeaaa 1st page. Thx for the new forum

rated:
I will edit this message to advertise someone ELSE's auction for the low price of $99.99. Free Ginzu knife if you PM me with naked pics of Betty White.

rated:
Thank you

rated:
Great forum

rated:
Someone should make an Online Auctions FAQ with answers to:

1. How to protect yourself on auctions.
2. What are the best ways to sell your items.

amongst other things that newbs like myself ask.

Edit: Also things about international sellers and taxes.

rated:
Jantzus said: Someone should make an Online Auctions FAQ with answers to:

i did

rated:
colebert said: Jantzus said: Someone should make an Online Auctions FAQ with answers to:

i did

hahaha

rated:
is this forum for eBay or just any online auction

rated:
It's not eBay specific, but since eBay is the biggest online auction site out there, right now, it's the one that gets talked about the most.

rated:
this category is the best.

rated:
bevo2k1 said: this category is the best.

i don't understand why this category even exists. given the rationale for cutting grocery coupons and FS/T, Auctions doesn't really fit into the overall strategy.

Auctions is all about PERSON TO PERSON commerce, which is precisely the reasoning the admins gave for axing FS/T.

rated:
actually, i DO understand. it was to pacify SUCKISSTAPLES and effectly channel all the eBay stuff out of his nest.

rated:
alipay is coming!

rated:
Beijing , China - February 2, 2005 – Alibaba.com announced today the official launch of its AliPay online escrow system and the www.alipay.com website, which makes AliPay available to all businesses and individuals in China. The payment system provides buyers and sellers with a comprehensive solution that resolves the issue of trust in online transactions while providing an efficient platform for transacting online.

LINK and LINK

rated:

rated:
.05 LISTING DAY!!

rated:
yep i took advantage also.

rated:
bevo2k1 said: yep i took advantage also.

me 3

rated:
nothing has sold for me yet. dannn slow site.

rated:
dethroned.

rated:
about 80% sold. this Dell wont sell!!

rated:
We appreciate that you have submitted the required information and have reviewed the details of this suspension. Since you have provided proof of your identity and agreed to the conditions for reinstatement, it has been decided to reinstate this account. Please note that, although your account is now active, any listings or bids that were cancelled by your account suspension will not be reinstated.

*Please do not reply to this email. If you have additional questions such as billing inquiries or inquiries about the status of another account you own, please visit the eBay Help system for information and/or access to send your question to eBay Customer Support. You can visit our Help system by clicking on the “Help” button at the top of every eBay page or at the following Web address:

rated:
sponsored by eBay

rated:
from MLN:

In the spirit of "Wear Sunglasses" I leave you with this:
- Don't lie on a customs form stating something is a gift. Otherwise it will become just that.. a gift you're out the money for.
- Don't ship without confirmation of some type. Without it, you will always be found at fault.
- Don't insure for less than the value, or you will lose the difference.
- Don't believe everything you read in email, even if it looks official. It isn't.
- Don't fall for scammers promising you more money than you're asking. Their money is stolen or fake, you wlll lose.
- Don't be bullied by buyers, leave negs where needed, and suck it up when they retaliate. You'll look stronger instead of weak.
- Don't lie to buyers claiming you will ship one way then ship another.
- Don't scam the shippers by misusing their free supplies. It will only cost everyone more in postage anyway.
- Don't believe deadbeat stories, be firm and consistent. Otherwise you will sit on items for months waiting and waiting.
- Don't hide known flaws or absenses (e.g. UPC symbols) in your items. Be honest and take good pictures.
- Don't bend your TOS, give an inch, they will steal a mile.
- Install anti virus and anti spyware programs, keep them up to date.
- Take pictures/scan every payment and envelope you receive, you may need it later.
- No one in the eastern-block countries really wants your merchandise---just all of your money and identity.

And above all:
- Don't accept PayPal, lest you want to lose it all.

rated:
wow. how many batteries did you buy originally?

rated:
just wait until you see what i put out of my hat next week.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.