• 14 5 67819
  • Page
  • Text Only
Is there a way to safely accept Paypal from International buyers? What if I use USPS Global Express (EMS)? I know it comes with tracking, but does it come with signature confirmation? I know I need sig confirmation for selling items >$250 for Paypal to cover me. What do you guys think?

Unless it is to a confirmed Address in the UK, you can get scammed as easy as clicking 'INR'

bump

Great...I had this thread opened in a tab in my browser for a week, and forgot it was there. A few days ago, I decided to start selling stuff on eBay. I put an item up, with PayPal as one payment option. I figured it'd be great -- I've always been happy with PayPal as a buyer, and I wouldn't mind having funds go directly to my PayPal account for buying stuff.

Now I'm freaked out...my only comfort being that I don't imagine I'll sell any big-ticket items, so not much to lose.

PayPal confirmed/SPP Eligible address of the day:

Baba Ganoosh
1 Fake ave. please leave with my landlord NAME1 inside
NAME2 (store front )
Town, XX 55555
United States
Confirmed

Bold indicates original text. Weird that he got that confirmed...

People are always posting about SNAD claims and there is great discussion on how paypal would rule. Here is a list of options from paypal that you can choose when filing a SNAD claim. I thought this list might be helpful.

Please provide details about the condition of your purchase.

Missing parts that prevent item from being used
- No computer processor
- No motor

Externally damaged
- Scratches, cracks, chips, rips, dents
- Stains, odor

Missing Quantity
- Ordered 12 units but received 6

Internally damaged
- Doesn't power on
- Doesn't play or plays with errors
(DVD, CD, software)

Used when described as new
- Original listing said it was
"new" or "mint"

Shipping Cost Issues

Sales Tax Issues


Different model, version, or size
- Incompatible operating system
(Windows v. Macintosh)
- Motorcycle engine v. automobile
engine
- Shoes too small to wear

Different design/pattern
- Floral v. striped

Different category of item entirely
- Ordered a book, got a brick

Different material
- Cotton v. silk
- Glass v. plastic

Less Valuable Substitute
- Less powerful:
Pentium 4 v. Pentium 3
- Lower perceived quality:
branded v. generic

Time-sensitive item arrived late
- Concert tickets

Color difference:
Slight - Light green v. dark green
Moderate - Green v. teal
Serious - Green v. red


Ruined Food or Plants
- Spoiled
- Dead/wilted

Copy of original
- Bootleg or pirated copy
(music, movie, software)
- Photocopy

Imitation
- Fake Rolex, fake Gucci purse,
fake Armani suit

Empty Box
- Empty or contains unrelated material

how long buyer has to file PP or CC claim for INR? thx.

kingofms said: how long buyer has to file PP or CC claim for INR? thx.
PayPal: 45 days from the date of payment
CC: depends on the CC issuer/card terms. Could be as much as 6 month from the date of the first CC statement.

tlaxson said: kingofms said: how long buyer has to file PP or CC claim for INR? thx.
PayPal: 45 days from the date of payment
CC: depends on the CC issuer/card terms. Could be as much as 6 month from the date of the first CC statement.


thanks.

when CC chargeback happens is there a reasoning concept or blanket give us money back?

my situtation is that i sold a laptop begining of jan, shipped it to confirmed address (buyer was unverified), i was gone out of country, for month of feb, after i got back begining of march i found laptop was returned.

Supposedly buyer is also out of country. So i would think no paypal complaint is possible but am out of paypal+eBay fees and laptop has reduced in value.

I haven't heard back from buyer about what he wants to do, but if he does do CC chargeback, what will be my options?

Options? You will lose.

He will file CC Chargeback - Item Not Received (INR). Heck he can file INR on Paypal and win.

You admit the item didn't get to him. He knows the item didn't get to him. He files and gets all his money. You will lose out on filing fees and shipping.. /yuck.

I recently sold a rather large item on eBay for around $500. The item is too large to ship via USPS, UPS, DHL, etc. so I'm going to have to have it shipped by a freight company which will cost $200-$300. My concern is, the guy that bought it used Buy It Now and wants me to ship, even though I specifically stated in my auction that I only wanted local pickup. Normally I'd tell him to get lost, but seeing as how the item received little to no interest I told the guy I'd look into shipping. The guy says that he'll pay for the shipping, just to let him know a final fee so he can PayPal me the money. This guy has 0 feedback and just became a registered eBay user the day he bought my item (although he claims hes bought several items on eBay in the past).

How can I best insulate myself from getting ripped off. Currently I have a premier account on PayPal, although the only credit card I have on record with them right now is expired and no bank account linked to it. If I link my bank account to my PayPal account, and this guy sends me the money, what would happen if I were to withdraw the money to my bank account immediately? Does PayPal have the ability to "take" money from my personal bank account? If PayPal puts a negative balance on my account and sends me to collections, will this have a negative effect on my credit?

The only reason why I'm afraid of being ripped off is because I recently heard about the whole PayPal chargeback thing, and then a few days later I sell an item to a buyer with 0 feedback who wants to pay for a big item with PayPal. Should I just scrap the deal and take the hit of possible negative feedback, or are my worries unfounded (the guy gave me an address and two phone numbers if that means anything).

gofishn said: I recently sold a rather large item on eBay for around $500. The item is too large to ship via USPS, UPS, DHL, etc. so I'm going to have to have it shipped by a freight company which will cost $200-$300. My concern is, the guy that bought it used Buy It Now and wants me to ship, even though I specifically stated in my auction that I only wanted local pickup. Normally I'd tell him to get lost, but seeing as how the item received little to no interest I told the guy I'd look into shipping. The guy says that he'll pay for the shipping, just to let him know a final fee so he can PayPal me the money. This guy has 0 feedback and just became a registered eBay user the day he bought my item (although he claims hes bought several items on eBay in the past).

How can I best insulate myself from getting ripped off. Currently I have a premier account on PayPal, although the only credit card I have on record with them right now is expired and no bank account linked to it. If I link my bank account to my PayPal account, and this guy sends me the money, what would happen if I were to withdraw the money to my bank account immediately? Does PayPal have the ability to "take" money from my personal bank account? If PayPal puts a negative balance on my account and sends me to collections, will this have a negative effect on my credit?

The only reason why I'm afraid of being ripped off is because I recently heard about the whole PayPal chargeback thing, and then a few days later I sell an item to a buyer with 0 feedback who wants to pay for a big item with PayPal. Should I just scrap the deal and take the hit of possible negative feedback, or are my worries unfounded (the guy gave me an address and two phone numbers if that means anything).

1. Your buyer may have a new ID but not be new to eBay, thus the lack of feedback and his supposed buying experience. Many of us have multiple IDs for both buying and selling, it's not that unusual.
2. It's ok to stick to your TOS, and be firm on the pickup-only clause. You don't have to let this guy break your TOS. If he refuses to pick it up, simply file the Unpaid Item Dispute, give him a strike, and relist or list elsewhere (Craigslist may work for you).
3. If you want to take PayPal, you need to have online-trackable proof of delivery. Here are the carriers whose tracking PayPal will accept. If your frieght company is not on that list, you have zero protection against a payment reversal. Most experiences sellers will tell you, then, that accepting PayPal for this item is a very bad idea.
4. Even if the buyer does pick it up, you still should not accept PayPal. See the above reason. No online-trackable proof of delivery = you're putting yourself in trouble's way.
5. No, PayPal cannot yank funds from your checking account. Well, they have the technical capability to, but they don't.
6. Yes, PayPal can and does send accounts in the red to collections, and this will show up on your credit report.

Yeah I think I may be better off on craigslist. I just decided to go ahead and list it because of the 10 cent fees the other day. Thanks for the help!

PayPal Case ID:
PP-
Reason for Dispute:
Not as described
Buyer's Comments:
This seller sold me the item other than the one that was listed. I received a package. The item I got is hard to sell part in the US. Obviously this seller has falsyfied item description in order to sell it. Item I got does not match listed description!!!
Date of Complaint:
Mar. 22, 2006
Status:
Waiting for Buyer's Response
Status Details:
Thank you for authorizing us to issue a full refund (including the original shipping and handling for the item) to the buyer once the item has been returned to you in its original condition. You requested that the return be sent to the following address:

sac, CA 95823, United States

The buyer is responsible for shipping and handling costs associated with the return shipment. We have asked the buyer to confirm that they shipped the item by providing tracking information.

The buyer’s deadline for responding to this case is Apr. 1, 2006. If the buyer does not respond by the deadline, the claim will automatically


What you guys think will happen??? Buyer received the item and exported it lol.

Considering how he spelled Falsified, I would think he just did that so he can do a chargeback and not get Paypal banned.

he wants at least 250 back lol.

and keep the item. I think he exported the item out of country. So if the buyer doesn't wanna send it back I should win. So the buyer would be mad at him lol.

Make sure he doesn't send you some stinky shoes or a P-P-P-Powerbook for those in the know of that item.

I had an eBay auction for four laptops and one person offered to buy them all. When asked for a discount, I said I cannot offer a discount with the eBay fees. So he made a payment directly to my paypal account (quite a big sum) without making the purchase on eBay. The money arrived in my paypal account and I have withdrawn it to my bank account (will happen in 3-4 days). He paid me $50 extra, after making the initial payment) to cover for shipping and insurance (because I asked him).

He is a verified paypal user, with confirmed address and has good feedback on eBay also (150+ feedback ratings). I am eligible for SPP. Am I safe in shipping the computers? What can I do other than DC and Signature required to make myself more protected? Please advise with any suggestions. Thanks.

Great!

MegaDethPantera said: What can I do other than DC and Signature required to make myself more protected?
Why are you shipping USPS? I'd much rather use a private service like FedEx. Once a USPS package leaves your hand, it's almost impossible to retrieve it. If you ship USPS, look into Registered Mail, which can be cheaper for expensive items.

If I have more than one email address on my PayPal account, can I receive payments through any of them or just the primary email address only?

jitinarora said: If I have more than one email address on my PayPal account, can I receive payments through any of them or just the primary email address only?
Any of the email addresses associated can be paid. The primary account is the one that payments are sent *from*, and the address where you'll get communications from PayPal (payment notifications, etc).

Hi, I did a quick look through all the posts, and didn't quite see this. If this has been answered already, please ignore.

To offer buyers paypal protection, doesn't the seller need to have a verified paypal account? I thikn in the old days, Paypal will verify you with just a credit card, but now seems like you have to have a bank account confirmed to be verified. So does this mean that we can opt out on offering paypal protection as long as we dun have a bank account with paypal? Can we add a banka ccount more than once? IE --> add it once, take out the money, delete it, become unverified, and then add it?
Thanks

sarasachan said: Hi, I did a quick look through all the posts, and didn't quite see this. If this has been answered already, please ignore.

To offer buyers paypal protection, doesn't the seller need to have a verified paypal account? I thikn in the old days, Paypal will verify you with just a credit card, but now seems like you have to have a bank account confirmed to be verified. So does this mean that we can opt out on offering paypal protection as long as we dun have a bank account with paypal? Can we add a banka ccount more than once? IE --> add it once, take out the money, delete it, become unverified, and then add it?
Thanks

To opt out of buyers protection, it takes one phone call to Paypal. there is no need to go that whole way.

I have a Canadian buyer who moved to US and uable to pay me as I have blocked payments from international buyers. I advised him to change his canadian address to US address, but he is unable to change the address as system is looking for another Canadian address. How to change the country in "add address" in paypal? Any suggestion to help him?

hot2004 said: I have a Canadian buyer who moved to US and uable to pay me as I have blocked payments from international buyers. I advised him to change his canadian address to US address, but he is unable to change the address as system is looking for another Canadian address. How to change the country in "add address" in paypal? Any suggestion to help him?

I just called paypal, CSR told me he can't do that. Only way to do it to cancel existing account and open a new account with US address.

hot2004 said: I have a Canadian buyer who moved to US and uable to pay me as I have blocked payments from international buyers. Any suggestion to help him?
Temporarily unblock international buyers. When you get his payment, reinstate the block. That's about all your can do. Unfortunately PayPal does not have a whitelist function.

tlaxson said: hot2004 said: I have a Canadian buyer who moved to US and uable to pay me as I have blocked payments from international buyers. Any suggestion to help him?
Temporarily unblock international buyers. When you get his payment, reinstate the block. That's about all your can do. Unfortunately PayPal does not have a whitelist function.


How will it solve the problem? Buyer moved to US. In that case, I have to ship to an unconfirmed paypal address, which I don't want. Buyer agreed to send money order.

hot2004 said: tlaxson said: hot2004 said: I have a Canadian buyer who moved to US and uable to pay me as I have blocked payments from international buyers. Any suggestion to help him?
Temporarily unblock international buyers. When you get his payment, reinstate the block. That's about all your can do. Unfortunately PayPal does not have a whitelist function.


How will it solve the problem? Buyer moved to US. In that case, I have to ship to an unconfirmed paypal address, which I don't want. Buyer agreed to send money order.

It sounds like his account is still a Canadian one, so he can't pay by PayPal due to your block on international. Lifting the block gets around that. As you pointed out you still have the confirmed address problem, but Canadians can have U.S. confirmed accounts.

I'm glad you two found a way to work around this with an MO.

If i make a sell outside of auction sites and recieve payment through paypal lets say 2300$ from confirmed address... how much will i be covered for? Should I mention about the product on the subject line of the money request?

I sold brand new PC with warranty on eBay and 1 month later the buyer file dispute to Paypal with complain item not as describe.
I provide all evidence to proof the condition of the item was new when it was ship, and I also eligible to Seller Protection Policy and ship to confirmed address(Ship using FedEx with direct signature confirmation).
However, it still won't help me much, Paypal ordered the buyer to return the product to me within 10 days. (Paypal didn't give me explanation why they authorize to return the product even I already said in my auction is final and no return since it covered with manufacture warranty).
The bad scenario happen when the buyer file credit card chargeback to paypal because the buyer doesn't want to return the product and still want his money back.
And again Paypal approve the buyer chargeback with reason the chargeback is not covered in Seller Protection Policy and I have to pay $550 (I sold the product $750) to paypal.
Hopefully, I already closed my bank account and credit card that linked to Paypal so they can automatically take money from them.
Now, I have negative balance in my paypal account and they give me 60 days to reverse the balance.
I need some advice or suggestion from folk FW about my situation.

Also I want to remind folk FW that doing business on eBay and using paypal, don't feel too condidence with paypal because your money isn't secure with them and it can't be reverse with chargeback even after couple months.
I heard a lot of horror story about paypal and didn't pay attention to them until it happen to me.

lincolnctg said: If i make a sell outside of auction sites and recieve payment through paypal lets say 2300$ from confirmed address... how much will i be covered for? Should I mention about the product on the subject line of the money request?
You are covered for $5000 a year. And of course just have Paypal send him an invoice, it's easier that way.

JS26889 said: I sold brand new PC with warranty on eBay and 1 month later the buyer file dispute to Paypal with complain item not as describe.
I provide all evidence to proof the condition of the item was new when it was ship, and I also eligible to Seller Protection Policy and ship to confirmed address(Ship using FedEx with direct signature confirmation).
However, it still won't help me much, Paypal ordered the buyer to return the product to me within 10 days. (Paypal didn't give me explanation why they authorize to return the product even I already said in my auction is final and no return since it covered with manufacture warranty).
The bad scenario happen when the buyer file credit card chargeback to paypal because the buyer doesn't want to return the product and still want his money back.
And again Paypal approve the buyer chargeback with reason the chargeback is not covered in Seller Protection Policy and I have to pay $550 (I sold the product $750) to paypal.
Hopefully, I already closed my bank account and credit card that linked to Paypal so they can automatically take money from them.
Now, I have negative balance in my paypal account and they give me 60 days to reverse the balance.
I need some advice or suggestion from folk FW about my situation.

Also I want to remind folk FW that doing business on eBay and using paypal, don't feel too condidence with paypal because your money isn't secure with them and it can't be reverse with chargeback even after couple months.
I heard a lot of horror story about paypal and didn't pay attention to them until it happen to me.

While I am not sure why you lost a chargeback claim telling us you pull the bank account doesn't sound right.
But Welcome to having a Bad Credit History. Once Paypal sells your balance to a collection agency you will learn what it means to have a dink on your report.

forbin4040 said: While I am not sure why you lost a chargeback claim telling us you pull the bank account doesn't sound right.
But Welcome to having a Bad Credit History. Once Paypal sells your balance to a collection agency you will learn what it means to have a dink on your report.


I am not sure either, Paypal never give me explanation even after several email I sent to them.
I think they get force to refund from credit card company and they sacrifice me.
Even after they sell the balance to collection agency, we still have the right to fight.
I have proof of all evidence and I will report this to FTC, BBB, and Attorney General.

JS26889 said: I am not sure either, Paypal never give me explanation even after several email I sent to them.
I think they get force to refund from credit card company and they sacrifice me.
Even after they sell the balance to collection agency, we still have the right to fight.
I have proof of all evidence and I will report this to FTC, BBB, and Attorney General.

I don't want to sound bad but you know how much work that is? Once you get a bad mark, all 3 companies know it. You have to contact each of the above agencies, wait 6-12 months to get an answer then contact each of the 3 agencies with a Complaint# to fix.

Trust me, once your credit is messed up, it's a year to fix.

Now that you know that, wouldn't it be easier just to contact Paypal and get that Chargeback reversed?

forbin4040 said:
Now that you know that, wouldn't it be easier just to contact Paypal and get that Chargeback reversed?


I did it already, but they can't give me better explanation.
Do you suggest me to pay the chargeback?

I don't suggest that. I suggested that you be a bulldog and make eBay / Paypal give you a straight answer. And if the answer is it really is your fault, you can do whatever you feel like.

It's extremely easy for eBay to call a collection company on you. It's extremely hard to prove you aren't. That's just how collections work.

forbin4040 said: I don't suggest that. I suggested that you be a bulldog and make eBay / Paypal give you a straight answer. And if the answer is it really is your fault, you can do whatever you feel like.

It's extremely easy for eBay to call a collection company on you. It's extremely hard to prove you aren't. That's just how collections work.


Like I said before, I already ask them the reason of this chargeback approval and the answer is always the chargeback is not covered in Seller Protection Policy.
I even asked them what the buyer story now, 'cause before the buyer lied about the warranty has expired and I can give them a proof that the warranty still valid until the next 2 year.

Well that's true a Chargeback for SNAD is automatically out of the SPP.

Well your next recourse since Pay Pal won't / can't help you is to sic the police on him. But it's up to you if you want Paypal to sic credit agency on you. That's worse than a neg on your eBay account.

One quick question: Is it ok to ship overnight(confirmed address ofcourse) if paid by paypal? I am wondering if Paypal would get after 48 hours and ask not to ship !!!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014