• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a very heavy (100 lb) item for sale on eBay, which I have listed as pickup only. A buyer has contacted me asking if he could use his own UPS account to have me ship it to him. I'm OK with that: The item is properly packed in manufacturer's carton and I can get it to UPS. I didn't figure anyone would want to pay the shipping, but if this guy does, that's fine with me.

My question is: How do I do this? Does the guy just send me an account number to use, or...? Is there any way to avoid a scam, such as buyer using an account number that doesn't belong to them? (Something like requiring item be shipped to the address UPS has on file for account number provided?)

Thanks,

Kwad

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
gypsiesinthepalace said: <blockquote><hr>I today can show you the disposition of a case such as this, that happened to m... (more)

cnIsfg (Sep. 13, 2006 @ 1:25p) |

Well that is what happened.<br><br>Have a good day!!<br>

gypsiesinthepalace (Sep. 13, 2006 @ 3:12p) |

gypsiesinthepalace said: <blockquote><hr>Well that is what happened.<br><br>Have a good day!!<br><hr></blockquote><br><b... (more)

RapaciousEbayer (Sep. 14, 2006 @ 12:07a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

1-800-PICK-UPS is likely the quickest and most accurate source of information for this particular question. I know you can just bill to the recipient's account, but don't know about the other part of your question.

Can't he arrange for the pick up instead?

sfvera said: [Q]Can't he arrange for the pick up instead?

Can he do that? That would be my preference: Leave the packages on my foyer for the UPS guy to pick up. I guess big companies can do that, but I'm guessing this guy isn't a big company...

Kwad

1) You cannot ship UPS a 100lb item. I think it's a 75 or 50 lb limit. He would have to use the Freight version of UPS, (I forget the name).

Did he pay with Paypal? If he did then you will lose an INR complaint. Because you didn't ship it (He did) you don't have any tracking.

forbin4040 said: [Q]1) You cannot ship UPS a 100lb item. I think it's a 75 or 50 lb limit. He would have to use the Freight version of UPS, (I forget the name).

Did he pay with Paypal? If he did then you will lose an INR complaint. Because you didn't ship it (He did) you don't have any tracking.

150lbs is the max limit for UPS standard ground shipments. That weight limit includes dimensional weight.

forbin4040 said: [Q]1) You cannot ship UPS a 100lb item. I think it's a 75 or 50 lb limit. He would have to use the Freight version of UPS, (I forget the name).

Sorry, you CAN ship up to 150 pounds. I've shipped these items before via UPS.

Why wouldn't there be tracking if he pays for shipping. PayPal does not require that you pay for shipping, only that you can provide tracking. If UPS were to pick things up, they'd leave a receipt with the tracking number. At least, they've done that when they've picked up stuff that commercial entities have had picked up from me.

Kwad

Darn, they upgraded to 150.

Hmm regarding the tracking, I know there are a bunch of scams involved using their own shipping company. I would've sworn it had to do with Tracking.

forbin4040 said: [Q]Hmm regarding the tracking, I know there are a bunch of scams involved using their own shipping company. I would've sworn it had to do with Tracking.
It's not the tracking but the potential for rerouting that is the problem.

tlaxson said: [Q]forbin4040 said: [Q]Hmm regarding the tracking, I know there are a bunch of scams involved using their own shipping company. I would've sworn it had to do with Tracking.
It's not the tracking but the potential for rerouting that is the problem.
The other problem is use of stolen UPS accounts.

KwadGuy said: [Q]forbin4040 said: [Q]1) You cannot ship UPS a 100lb item. I think it's a 75 or 50 lb limit. He would have to use the Freight version of UPS, (I forget the name).

Why wouldn't there be tracking if he pays for shipping. PayPal does not require that you pay for shipping, only that you can provide tracking. If UPS were to pick things up, they'd leave a receipt with the tracking number. At least, they've done that when they've picked up stuff that commercial entities have had picked up from me.

Kwad

Yes there will be tracking but there also is no way to hold UPS liable if they fail to deliver the item at the original delivery address on the UPS label(hopefully that was the buyer's confirmed address). It is very easy for UPS account holders to re-route or forward shipments billed to their account to any place they like without UPS questioning it.

cnIsfg said: [Q]KwadGuy said: [Q]forbin4040 said: [Q]1) You cannot ship UPS a 100lb item. I think it's a 75 or 50 lb limit. He would have to use the Freight version of UPS, (I forget the name).

Kwad
What if I require the shipping address match both A) the PayPal confirmed address AND the address that UPS has on file for the account?

I'm not too worried the buyer is pulling a fast one--the items they're buying aren't exactly the kind of thing you could flip to make much money. If the PayPal address == UPS address on file == address I ship to (i.e. this isn't someone hijacking someone else's account), I guess I'd be willing to live with the small chance that the buyer would try to scam me by rerouting the packages and then filing with PayPal...

Kwad
Yes there will be tracking but there also is no way to hold UPS liable if they fail to deliver the item at the original delivery address on the UPS label(hopefully that was the buyer's confirmed address). It is very easy for UPS account holders to re-route or forward shipments billed to their account to any place they like without UPS questioning it.

For you (or you local UPS shipment center) In the UPS worldship software (pre 8.5) you would set billing to "freight collect" and fill in their UPS shipper number in the customer information. The new 8.5 software has some other kind of wording i can't remember right now.

The other option is to have the buyer send you a call tag, or mail you a label they make themselves.

KwadGuy said: [Q]What if I require the shipping address match both A) the PayPal confirmed address AND the address that UPS has on file for the account?

That is all meaningless if the buyer owns the UPS account the shipment is billed to. The account owner can easily reroute the package at any time prior to delivery. Also there is no way through UPS for a third party to verify a UPS account holder's information such as physical address. UPS will not disclose that information to any third party even if they are involved in a shipping transaction withthe UPS account holder as per UPS's privacy policy. As for potetntial fraud with this particular transaction it is basiclly a judgement call. If you feel comfortable with it then that is all that matters. Good Luck

psuJC said: [Q]For you (or you local UPS shipment center) In the UPS worldship software (pre 8.5) you would set billing to "freight collect" and fill in their UPS shipper number in the customer information. The new 8.5 software has some other kind of wording i can't remember right now.

The other option is to have the buyer send you a call tag, or mail you a label they make themselves.

Hmmm...unless something has recently changed The UPS stores do not allow freight collect or third party billing options for UPS shipments they originate and third party UPS authorized shipping centers like Staples and Office Depot also don't allow it for shipments they originate. The reason for this is they get stuck with the bill if the UPS account turns out to be stolen. By originate I mean they print the UPS label at their facility using their UPS account. If you have a prepaid UPS label you can certainly drop it off at any UPS authorized shipping location.

As far as call tags and mailing you a label those still have all the inherent fraud problems as direct third party billing. The UPS account owner can at any time prior to delivery re-route the package regardless of what the UPS label states

Simplest thing in the world. Have him issue a pickup for the item. UPS will pick it up, and will have all necessary labels, etc. Also will give you a receipt with tracking number. Your obligation ends when UPS driver signs and picks it up.

gypsiesinthepalace said: [Q]Simplest thing in the world. Have him issue a pickup for the item. UPS will pick it up, and will have all necessary labels, etc. Also will give you a receipt with tracking number. Your obligation ends when UPS driver signs and picks it up.

If they paid with PayPal your obligation ends with a confirmed delivery to confirmed address received with the PayPal Payment. If that payment was over $250 you have better be able to produce a delivery signature as well.

Not if the don't pay shipping charges.

gypsiesinthepalace said: [Q]Simplest thing in the world. Have him issue a pickup for the item. UPS will pick it up, and will have all necessary labels, etc. Also will give you a receipt with tracking number. Your obligation ends when UPS driver signs and picks it up.
Not so simple, what if at the pickup the delivery address is NOT to the confirmed address.

it boils down to... do you trust your buyer with this item?

Kwad, Don't do it. Instead I would do one of two things.... bend your own terms on this one and ship it to your customer - or file against them for not meeting TOS and relist/block the bidder. If you can't handle the package, have UPS come and get it. Of course you'll have to ship to the confirmed address - and with this squirel, definitely do signature required.

I am betting the buyer is trying to use his employer's account to get the item shipped to the work address. Don't do it. He might want it shipped there for safety sake, as he might be concerned about theft. Signature required will negate that, and depot pickup will keep the route driver from handling a 100 pound box that likely won't be left there.

To do a hold at depot, just add "HOLD AT DEPOT FOR PICKUP" and "CALL *** *** ****" (daytime phone number) in the address fields. This way you are covered by the dreaded PayPal for confirmed address (they won't balk at a hold at depot if the rest of the address is there), you'll have a signature from this jerk, and you won't be relisting the thing and risking a neg from this nut.

thekid72 said: [Q]Kwad, Don't do it. Instead I would do one of two things.... bend your own terms on this one and ship it to your customer - or file against them for not meeting TOS and relist/block the bidder. If you can't handle the package, have UPS come and get it. Of course you'll have to ship to the confirmed address - and with this squirel, definitely do signature required.

Re-read the OP. The buyer is asking in advance. Nowhere does it say he's not meeting TOS!! Since when do you file against them for asking in advance!!

Not everything on eBay is a scam. The buyer probably really wants the item and he probably has his own or his companies UPS account to bury the shipping cost.

If it were me it would boil down to what the specific item is, the value, the fraud potential for that type of item, the amount of local interest vs. eBay interest, the risk of shipping damage for that type of item, the buyers feedback history, the tone of the buyers converstion, etc, etc, etc. Only after evaluating all these factors would I make a decision.

Well isnt thier an option to bill 3rd party or sender and enter your account number in? I've had a few people bill to thier own UPS account cuz they get a nice discount compared to what i get, buyer saves a bit of cash. Weight Limit is 150 LB.

gypsiesinthepalace said: [Q]Not if the don't pay shipping charges.

Hopefully you are not really that clueless. If PayPal is involved you statement is meaningless.

thekid72 said: [Q]...This way you are covered by the dreaded PayPal for confirmed address (they won't balk at a hold at depot if the rest of the address is there), you'll have a signature from this jerk, and you won't be relisting the thing and risking a neg from this nut.

You are not covered under SPP given the advice above. We get these 10-15 requests a week and deny them all. PayPal is adamant about the item being delivered or at least initially attempted to be delivered at the confirmed address. If the item is picked up at a local shipping station without an attempted delivery at the buyer's confirmed address you loose SPP regardless of what proof you have the legitimate buyer signed for the item.

davef139 said: [Q]Well isnt thier an option to bill 3rd party or sender and enter your account number in? I've had a few people bill to thier own UPS account cuz they get a nice discount compared to what i get, buyer saves a bit of cash. Weight Limit is 150 LB.

You are crazy to do that. If the account number is stolen or unsed without the UPS account owners authorization (ie employee using his employeer's accout to receive items) then UPS bills the shipping + a $25 handling fee (effective 7/1/2006) back to your UPS account! That is why UPS now requires that you ship through a UPS account to do third party billing.

Edit: added UPS chargeback handling fee

I today can show you the disposition of a case such as this, that happened to me last year. Ruled in my favor that I performed as required, mainly because the buyer requested in his Paypal payment that item not be shipped, and therefore did not pay any shipping charges. My obligation was complete once UPS driver signed for item as being received in satisfactory condition. To my knowledge, buyer still has not received item. This was approximately 9 months ago.

So before you go shooting from the hip, ask for the facts. Not clueless here......suprised that I won that case, yes, but not clueless.

[Q]Hopefully you are not really that clueless. If PayPal is involved you statement is meaningless.

gypsiesinthepalace said: [Q]I today can show you the disposition of a case such as this, that happened to me last year. Ruled in my favor that I performed as required, mainly because the buyer requested in his Paypal payment that item not be shipped, and therefore did not pay any shipping charges. My obligation was complete once UPS driver signed for item as being received in satisfactory condition. To my knowledge, buyer still has not received item. This was approximately 9 months ago.

So before you go shooting from the hip, ask for the facts. Not clueless here......suprised that I won that case, yes, but not clueless.

[Q]Hopefully you are not really that clueless. If PayPal is involved you statement is meaningless.

I call total BS on the above. Paypal will NOT use buyer comments in ANY PayPal dispute. Paypal's SPP rules are crystal clear. If you don't follow them you are SOL depsite what arramgements you have made with your buyer. It the case above the buyer would win hands down even if the item was not Payapl buyer protection or seller SPP eligible.

Well that is what happened.

Have a good day!!

gypsiesinthepalace said: [Q]Well that is what happened.

Have a good day!!

that's exteremely lucky. keep playing with fire and get burned. I have won disputes with unconfirmed addresses, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ship willy nilly to unconfirmed addresses now.

Never ship using the buyer's account unless you're willing to accept the risk. Teh fact that the buyer can reroute the package is the reason. what if he decides he wants it sooner and calls UPS to have them ship to his workplace? Boom, unconfirmed address. Obviously, gypsies is willing to accept the risk.

Are you?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014