Value of item after UPC removed

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
On an item such as this where there is a possible $6 (or $8) to be made by MIR (due today for me), how much do you think removing the UPC will hurt it in terms of resale value?

Since it is a package, not a box, it will probably be necessary to open the package to cut it off, without damaging something inside.

Edit: Don't actually have it in front of me, so it might not require removing UPC, but in general, if it did.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you're selling on eBay it shouldn't drop the value of the item. Just take good pictures without showing the removed UPC. It also helps to put "upc removed for rebate purposes" in small print.

If you're selling locally, buyers might question if it's stolen or not.

I tend to get a lot of questions at the WesT End Sidewalk Sale about whether items are refurbished and why are UPCs removed. Also, tons of people with no manners decide it is OK to open boxes without asking.

Ditto. Won't/shouldn't decrease the value at all.

People who buy on eBay aren't interested in UPCs/rebates.

In my opinion, mutilating the packaging always reduces the value of a supposedly new item, if only marginally. However, if you're up front about it, a lot of folks will gloss over the information; these folks will complain once they receive the item.

I disclose it in the item description: "UPC removed for promotional purposes." Never had a problem.

This question has been posted a few times and comes up often especially with hot deals that have a good resale value after MIR & Coupons.

The truth is that there is no clear cut answer to this question because many consider the item after removing the UPC as "Brand New" and many don't. The way I see it is that if I did not open up the item I am selling (not the box) and have not used the item then the item is new. Removing the UPC is no different then buying a retail item with a dent in the packaging. The difference is that in many cases you can request from the retailer that the price be reduced but on eBay I just make sure that I clearly state that the UPC has been removed if the buyer is purchasing with the intent of gifting it to someone.

Strictly talking about price, I don’t think that is affected on eBay.

Lastly the issue with warranty is also talked about and the truth is that removing the UPC does not void the warranty in most cases. That being said most of the items bought on eBay are not really eligible for Manufacture warranty since they do not belong to the “Original Purchaser” and are not accompanied by the original receipt for warranty claims. To avoid yourself the troubles of facing this issue clearly state that fact in your T&C’s.

Claiming insurance on items is where I think it gets a bit shaky. For example you bought software for $175 and after MIR it was Free. You sold it for $150 and the item got lost. How does the claim process work in this case? I have had the case got both ways in two instances (1 was a laptop) and FedEx for 1 claim paid me the value of the item sold for which was more then the purchase value. YMMV

Shahhere

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014