• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
If this question is unclear say so.....TIA.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes, there is a dif. UPS Stores charge a premium to use their services. This is over and above the usual UPS customer counter rates. The premium could well add 30% or more to the total price.

If you need to ship a package, don't have a UPS account, and can't get to a UPS Customer Counter, try an office superstore instead (e.g., Staples). They do not charge a premium like the UPS Store does. The premium is not unique to UPS Stores; most authorized shipping outlets tack on at least a small amount to the usual UPS fees.

You may all so have to deal direct with the ups store for claims if there is a problem since you didn't pay ups directly for the service. I seen several people have problems with this, even though ups will provide a claim area, they will negotiate with the ups store for it which puts you last.

Its always better to go to a UPS center if you have one by you.

The manager/owner at the nearest UPS store claimed that he uses the same software as what I use at ups.com. Thus, what this UPS store charges me is the same as if I printed this from ups.com. I have a UPS account, but I'm not a daily shipper. Sometimes I don't really trust what that UPS store owner said. I saw a cheaper quote at ups.com, but I was pretty intimidated with the custom forms when I tried to ship to Canada.

He also accepts DHL. I call DHL 800 number twice to ask how much 'signature required' sticker costs. Twice I was told that this sticker is free and I could get it from a DHL store. This UPS store though charges me additional $5 every time I ship DHL using 'signature required'. I don't know who to believe now.

Some UPS stores may well charge the same rates as you would be charged at UPS Customer Counter. Most do charge a premium. Next time you ship a package, get the rate from your UPS store then log into your UPS account and compare counter rates - odds are pretty good there is a premium charged by the store.

I'm not that familiar with DHL, but it sounds like DHL is telling you the stickers can be obtained free but that the service itself does carry a fee. The stickers and the service are separate entities; DHL charges $1.50 for signature preferred, $250 for signature required, and $3.50 for adult signature services. The UPS Store is likely charging a premium over and above the sig service fee. Or, it may be bundling the insurance fee and the sig fee - $5 would provide the adult sig and the minimum level shipment value protection ($.70/$100 for ground service, minimum charge of $1.50). Or, it could be the sig required service + shipment value protection + a service fee.

bottom line, get your own account for free, print label using internet shipping so you dont get ripped off by bloated retail rates.

wood86 said: bottom line, get your own account for free, print label using internet shipping so you dont get ripped off by bloated retail rates.No problem, but if I do so, can I drop big (BIG) boxes off at a UPS Store (or Staples) for pickup by UPS? I sure can't leave them on my front doorstep for pickup, lest the neighbors help themselves.

Staples and UPS Store are nearby, the UPS Customer Center isn't.

Yes, you can drop packages at authorized ship centers. i would highly recommend obtaining a dropoff receipt if you do so, as that's the only proof that you gave the box to someone else. Without it, you're screwed if the box goes missing. Also, some shipcenters may charge a dropoff fee. AFAIK, Staples and the like do not do this.

Question is really clear. The UPS drop off for the actual UPS main terminal typically has only 1 even in major (Seattle), San Jose, Houston, metro area. The price they charge is the cheapest rate unless you have an account with another rate.

Any ups drop off location might be privately owned and most that I've been to seem to be and their rates are higher by at least a few $$.

Now with Fedex it's different. They have drop off locations and seem to
handle them with the same good service as the main terminal.

This info is several years old so things might have changed.
My $0.02.

UPS Stores have to charge UPS Counter Rates for shipping. What they can add a markup to are the extra fees such as extra insurance, signature on delivery, rural surcharge, etc. I have checked the rates online before heading to the UPS Store and the rates always match except when these extra fees apply. I asked about the discrepancy and they explained it to me. I do ship at my store pretty regularly so they always match the online price if I bring in a printout. It might be a hassle, but I like the fact that they do take care of the claiming process when my stuff gets damaged. I know all stores are different, this is just my experience with my local store. UPS Stores are all franchises, not corporate owned, so even though they are required to charge counter rates, there may be some shady stores that try to make an extra profit. As with any other retail outfit, stay informed and buyer beware.

wood86 said: bottom line, get your own account for free, print label using internet shipping so you dont get ripped off by bloated retail rates.

You can then hand the package to any UPS driver or leave pkgs. at a UPS designated shipper or have it picked up from your front door (for a fee). You don't need a receipt. The tracking number is all the proof you need. The package will have an origin scan and can be tracked online by 9:30 pm (or sooner) the same day.

Sign up for the daily rate though paypal. Drop the package off at Staples or OD. Can't get any easier.

Hypersion said: Sign up for the daily rate though paypal. Drop the package off at Staples or OD. Can't get any easier.

I don't use UPS much but at Staples they took my ink coupons for payment.

Do UPS Stores/MBE's get credit for packages you just drop off? I figure someone should know, curious if they just loose out entirely.

There was once a difference in price when they were Mailboxes Etc. Since UPS bought the chain I believe the prices are the same, except for the additional services as noted by someone above.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014