Amazon A-to-Z claim... what should i do?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking for some advice on what to do.

I am a seller on Amazon with 100% feedback. On December 6th I sold a video game for $66, along with that game the buyer also purchased another game for $10. Total was about $85. The buyer paid $3.99 standard shipping for each game ($7.98 total), so instead of mailing them first class mail I upgraded the order to priority mail for free and mailed them both in a priority mail box. Exactly 1 month later on the 6th of January I get this email from the buyer through the Amazon email system

--- Are you going to send [name of $66 video game] or refund me my money

That means to me that they got the $10 game but not the $66 game, that's weird as they were both in the same box, delivery confirmation confirms it was delivered so I think they are pulling a fast one. I emailed them back and said "how did you not receive the game when it was shipped along with the other game in the same package". 4 days later I get a failure notice and that the email i sent was not delivered. Now today I get an email from Amazon saying the buyer has opened up a a-to-z claim, the claim type is "Item was not as described" and the buyer added a comment of "i contacted the seller to see if they sent a replacement but i got no response". A totally different reason from the first email I got which asked if i am going to send the game or refund money. This person is obviously scamming the Amazon system and trying to get this game for free. I believe they bought both games to try and get this one for free, as delivery confirmation will show delivery, but it can't prove that the game was not as described.

Do I have a leg to stand on with fighting the case or should I just refund the money and hope i don't get a negative.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You got 0 chance to win AZ as you have no proof you delivered either of the games, Amazon requires ALL shipments to have a signature confirmation.

CrazyRus, I thought it was just purchases over $100 that needed signature confirmation. The seller might just catch a lucky break - provide the delivery confirmation for the A-to-Z claim for the expensive game and it will show as being delivered to the buyer's house. If buyer opens a second A-to-Z claim for the less expensive game, refund that one. Losing $10 is better than losing $66.

yeah the delivery confirmation will show it got delivered, but in his AZ claim he is now saying item is not as described. would he have to return the game that is not as described before a refund is given?? i am new to this and do not know what the process is, is it a back and forth message thing between me and the buyer, or do i just send Amazon one message and they decide.

Its back and forth and then ultimately Amazon decides. Unfortunately the buyer holds all the cards on Amazon, even moreso than on the 'Bay. There is another case in the Online Auctions forum where a seller sent a slightly different model monitor to an Amazon buyer than the one advertised, and Amazon refunded the buyer's money AND let him keep the monitor. If the buyer is claiming that its not as described, do everything possible to get him to return it before the Amazon hammer comes down on you. I'd send him a pre-paid shipping label and sweettalk him until you get your game back.

Process is the following: Buyer starts AZ claim, you submit your reply and then Amazon reviews the dispute for ~10 days and levies it's decision, 99.9% super buyer-friendly. Best scenario is than when claim is granted, but you're not responsible for it or it's disbursement (Amazon pays out of their pocket). That way buyer is happy as it was ruled in his favor and much less likely to neg you and you don't lose any money.

i decided to represent the case by saying "Item sent was not materially different and that the seller can send the game back for a refund if they was not satisfied with it"

also to add--- its very obvious that this guy is scamming to get this game for free, first telling me he never got the game and then telling Amazon it was a different game. is there any place i can report his butt too as this is fraud and i don't think he should be able to get away with this (as he will continue doing this to get free things whenever he wants and the next person could be you). I just got his phone number off of switchboard as well just in case.

Try seller-guarantee@Amazon.com and also dial the seller help 877 number.

Also print a pdf file of all your email with the buyer and email it to the A-to-Z.

its very obvious that this guy is scamming to get this game for free
Definitely. Casual criminals are always embarrassed by their behavior - that's why the language in his email to you is so terse and short. Who would really write a message like that if they didn't get an item after a month?

If he really didn't get it, it would be a detailed message describing how he only got one game, tried to contact you, et cetera.

If you don't have any luck with Amazon, you can always try the Loggia Mail Fraud Maneuverô. File a mail fraud complaint and send the buyer a copy. This generally scares the s--t out of casual criminals. Suddenly, he may "find" the game you sent.

USPS won't actually investigate your case, but he doesn't know that.

After sending the a-to-z claim a message I decided to email this scammer and asked him if he wanted to return the game for a refund and if so, he could and i would give him a refund. he responded with another one liner

"I rather have a replacement if you have any left, if not then a refund."

from that one liner it lets me know that he is now acknowledging he got the game, but he's now going with the story that it was different/defective to what he ordered but still wants to keep it and for me to send a replacement or refund him.

I emailed him back and said that I would only send a replacement or refund him if he sends the so called defective/different item and gave him my address, I haven't heard from him yet. I have kept all my emails very kind, Hello Mr blah blah and thank you, etc, so if I have to send the emails to Amazon I won't look like I was suspecting him as a scammer as I am hoping it will all be evident from our emails sooner or later.

How long does it take for Amazon to make a decision on this case?, I can't see them favoring me from the very short message I wrote them. When he gets his money back off Amazon, can I call them and prove to them that this guy is scammer from our emails and get my money back?

These is the scheme these assholes use every day.If a buyer buys two items together never ship both together.ship them separately.There is a high chance that buyer can claim that he didnt receive one item and you will loose the claim to Amazon a-z guarantee.

If Amazon award the claim you can file with usps for mail fraud.From the total weight of shipment - (wt of priority mail box).The net weight will be the combined weight of both games.

Amazon is very bad for sellers and if they award one claim there is 99% chance that they may suspend you and froze all your money for 90 days.so before that, transfer your money to your bank account

Best of luck.

thanks

cosmiverse

how long till i hear back from Amazon about the claim, the buyer has not responded back to me (don't think he will now). doesn't the buyer have to send a follow-up message to Amazon after my first initial response to represent the case.

cosmiverse said: From the total weight of shipment - (wt of priority mail box).The net weight will be the combined weight of both games.
This is bad advice. The weight argument rarely, if ever, works.

First, I can mark a priority mail package with whatever weight I want; the postal service isn't going to record it. Priority mail is sold to the nearest pound, and the postage is what the USPS cares about. There's a lot of play in a pound.

Second, packing materials can easily be used to manipulate the weight of a package. Heck, for a relatively light or fragile item, packing materials may naturally be most of the weight.

Finally, there's no definitive listing of how much most things weigh. Even two of the same item can have different weights.

So, weight doesn't tell anybody anything about a package except its weight.

As a case in point, I had a seller who was supposed to send me two of an item, but didn't. When I ran a charge-back, he used the weight argument to prove that he sent two items (the shipper was DHL in this case, which does record weights rounded up to the nearest pound). Without contradicting any of the facts given by the seller and shipper, I convincingly argued that the weight proved that there was only one item in the package. While I knew that this wouldn't prove my case, it certainly blunted the argument of the seller, who had no response.

CrazyRus said: Process is the following: Buyer starts AZ claim, you submit your reply and then Amazon reviews the dispute for ~10 days and levies it's decision, 99.9% super buyer-friendly. Best scenario is than when claim is granted, but you're not responsible for it or it's disbursement (Amazon pays out of their pocket). That way buyer is happy as it was ruled in his favor and much less likely to neg you and you don't lose any money.

Amazoo seem to have stopped doing that (paying out of their pocket), at least for claims that fall within their stated deadlines (7 days for defective, 30 days for return).

just to update on this, when i go into my payments section under my seller account there is a reserved amount of $66. is that what they do automatically when someone opens up a claim, or is it a sign that they will soon process that amount from me?. thanks

royal007 said: just to update on this, when i go into my payments section under my seller account there is a reserved amount of $66. is that what they do automatically when someone opens up a claim, or is it a sign that they will soon process that amount from me?. thanks

It just means they are holding the money as a deposit on what they would have to refund the buyer. I had this happen, but the customer dropped the claim so it was released.
Good luck!

weird, i just checked and now the reserve is not there and the buyer left me positive feedback. what does that mean, did Amazon pay him back?..hmmmmmm

Check the status of your claim

doh, didn't know you could do that.

well it looks like Amazon gave the guy his money back and the status is

You are not responsible for this claim or its reimbursement

so i won the claim, wow that was lucky!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014