• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I have been trying to find the best way to see if an address is a commercial or a residential. As most people know, when using FedEx, UPS, or DHL, it is cheaper to ship to a commercial address.

There are ways that I can use to check. I can use UPS and FedEx to determine if an address is commercial or residential. The other method is to use Google satellite map to see if the address looks commercial or residential. However, this may not be accurate.

Is there a more effective way to check if an address is commercial or not? Often I compare USPS with DHL to get the cheapest shipping cost.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Bo, going from 10 to 20 pounds makes me think you're being hit with dim weight pricing. Was that package, or any others ... (more)

tlaxson (May. 11, 2008 @ 1:35a) |

As of now, Resi = $2.30.

With Ground as long as you are submitting your end of day reports and we get the information ahe... (more)

tazeat (May. 13, 2008 @ 3:15a) |

I am the poster boy for underweighing, though I'm not so stupid as to put 5.2lbs on a 70lbs box. I just have a set prof... (more)

colebert (May. 13, 2008 @ 3:36a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The method most people utilize is to actually never check residential and assume the address is a commercial one. If the carrier has address check and it comes up as commercial, problem solved. Otherwise, they will probably tack on the charge afterward. Experience says that more than half the time they never end up billing you commercial or not.

Maybe what madcow said is true for UPS, but FedEx Ground and FedEx Home are two separate entities and I don't think you would get away with mislabeling with them? Could be wrong there as I've never tried it. I've found signing up for Endicia with the free 1 month trial works. You then get to download Dazzle, which does the address check for you. Even after you cancel your trial, the program will still do this, but not allow you to print any labels or postage.

fishie74 said: Maybe what madcow said is true for UPS, but FedEx Ground and FedEx Home are two separate entities and I don't think you would get away with mislabeling with them? Could be wrong there as I've never tried it. I've found signing up for Endicia with the free 1 month trial works. You then get to download Dazzle, which does the address check for you. Even after you cancel your trial, the program will still do this, but not allow you to print any labels or postage.

What's the point of rolling into a thread like this and "guessing?"

Anyway... Madcow is 100% correct here. I can't remember the thread, but I went round and round with someone about how to properly game the Fedex Ground system. The executive summary of that thread is verbatium madcow's post.

The ONLY time I can envision an exception to always declaring your ship-to address as commercial as if you have reason to believe your package could be delivered two days sooner by taking advantage of the fact Fedex Home operates on Saturday. For example, if you shipped a package on Wednesday to a zone that received 3-day service... If you shipped Ground the package would arrive Monday. If you shipped Home the package would arrive Saturday. That assume you care whether it arrives early, want to pay the extra fees, and willing to risk some foul up pushing back your delivery date which would then make it Tuesday.

Basically, for the n00bs: Always pick commerical and let the shipping companies figure it out. If you are asking because you're trying to come up with a rate quote, best practice is to make your rate with the assumption you will always be billed for residential but fill out your shipping labels assuming that you won't.

Which costs less to ship to--commercial or residential?

I never knew there was a difference!

I have been using the PayPal shipping to print my UPS labels and I keep checking to see what the difference is between the commercial and residential and it always turns out to be the same price for me. I don't know about anyone else. It is just too bad that they require you to have the funds in the account for payment. I do have my UPS account linked to PayPal.

Commercial is cheaper.

JassieB said: Which costs less to ship to--commercial or residential?

The logic for commercial being cheaper is that places of business tend to get a lot of packages, so they don't have to make a separate trip like they usually do for a residential address.

FWIW, on at least one occasion I've had UPS credit my account for the difference when I marked an address residential and it turned out to be a business.

MadAnthony said: JassieB said: Which costs less to ship to--commercial or residential?

The logic for commercial being cheaper is that places of business tend to get a lot of packages, so they don't have to make a separate trip like they usually do for a residential address.

FWIW, on at least one occasion I've had UPS credit my account for the difference when I marked an address residential and it turned out to be a business.

Actually, I think the logic is that it's a bigger hassle for a driver to do residential than it is commercial.

Commerical locations are more likely to be "open," have multiple people who can sign for the package, don't involve a lot of hassle getting to, are usually concentrated near other commerical areas, etc. Residential locations are usually done in the evening since that is when people are home. But that also means less time to make the deliveres, thus they command a bit of a premium. You also are more likely to have a residential area out in the boonies requiring more gas/time.

Basically, I would say a residential package requires more resources to deliver than a commercial packge. Thus the higher price.

madcowdisease said: The method most people utilize is to actually never check residential and assume the address is a commercial one. If the carrier has address check and it comes up as commercial, problem solved. Otherwise, they will probably tack on the charge afterward. Experience says that more than half the time they never end up billing you commercial or not.

And if the carrier decides to charge the difference between commercial and residential, there should not be any sort of penalty?

colebert said:

Colebert, I have been around long enough to know you give good advice, but you don't need to be a dillhole about my reply. If you LOOK at the topic, it asks for a way to check residential or commercial addresses, to which I gave a valid solution. What you are suggesting is defrauding FedEx/UPS on the grounds that it is their problem to check. You're probably one of those ebayers who sell blank FedEx labels for a profit. Loser. As for the neg....OOOOOhhhh...I'm bothered. NOT.

fishie74 said: colebert said:

Colebert, I have been around long enough to know you give good advice, but you don't need to be a dillhole about my reply. If you LOOK at the topic, it asks for a way to check residential or commercial addresses, to which I gave a valid solution. What you are suggesting is defrauding FedEx/UPS on the grounds that it is their problem to check. You're probably one of those ebayers who sell blank FedEx labels for a profit. Loser. As for the neg....OOOOOhhhh...I'm bothered. NOT.

Yeah, you answered the question. Congrats. Your post also contained misinformation. If you don't know the answer, don't guess. We've already got enough guessers, supposers, and hearsay mongers here.

It's not defrauding Fedex. I have no idea whether a customer's physical address is zoned commerical or residential by the city planners. So why should I classify it residential, or assume the great, powerful & all-knowing "Address Checker" is right, then hope & pray that if it turns out to be commerical that they will refund me? I will choose the option that best protects my interests and let the huge megacorp with thousands of employees paid to figure it out do the work.

Oh, and I hear drinking a pint of bleach a day helps cure AIDS. Could be wrong there as I've never tried it.

When shipping with Paypal, it looks like the price stays the same whether you mark the address commercial or residential. Does that mean they're automatically checking it for us and charging the appropriate amount? I usually just leave it as residential unless it's an obvious business address. Sometimes the shipping label would show up as an "unconfirmed residential address" even though the address is confirmed, and the CSR told me it was because it was actually a business address.

Try www.anywho.com/rl.html or use maps.yahoo.com/dd and enter the address as if you were trying to get directions. If the address is listed as a commercial place, it comes up with the name(s) of the places.

Usually, when people asks a question, there is a question mark in the sentence.

LAwoodtiger said: Usually, when people asks a question, there is a question mark in the sentence.

I had no idea?

Here are my eBay shipping experiences using paypal.
1. paypal only offers USPS and UPS.
2. USPS, needless to say. no difference in commercial or residential addresses. But one thing is better using eBay payapl system:e-confirmation. it costs 0.18 only. not like normal post office: 0.50 per mail.
3. UPS. actual discount using paypal is about 1/3. i.e. $9 at UPS office will drop to $6 at UPS using paypal. more details:
3.1 90% cases, UPS charge in paypal account is the same for commercial or residential addresses. You can confirm this point yourself. Just click box "commercial", then click box "residential" to see the charge respectively. But in my eBay shipping, I met one case, the surcharge had about $5 difference Jan. 2008. That's why I said "90% case".
3.2 After discount in paypal, the UPS is ALWAY equal to the FedEx charge. I did compare in various cases, I have to admit the UPS must do this in purpose. So, presently, I give up FedEx choice. no need.

Therefore, I would suggest using UPS in your paypal. it's my best way at this time.
With increases of gas and surcharge, shipping is a pain to either buyers or sellers. possibly both.

But I get 7% back on FedEx shipments with my AMEX Business, so FedEx is still a winner.

ArgoNavis said: But I get 7% back on FedEx shipments with my AMEX Business, so FedEx is still a winner.

But r u also getting the 15% across-the-board discount????//slashslash

ArgoNavis said: But I get 7% back on FedEx shipments with my AMEX Business, so FedEx is still a winner.

How do you get 7%? My AMEX only gives me 5%.

OP said: Is there a more effective way to check if an address is commercial or not? Often I compare USPS with DHL to get the cheapest shipping cost.

I use Reverse Lookup at whitepages.com. Has always worked for me. Whether it is the most effective or not, I do not know. But whenever it has showed as commercial address and I shipped as such, I have never had it changed by FedEx Ground, so I assume it is very accurate. Also gives you the phone number.

AMEX is independent form FedEx. I used to have (and still have) whatever FedEx discount I was getting with my account (12% or 15%, can't remember now), and a few years ago when I got my AMEX, they offered additional 7%. I know it is 5% now, but my offer was 7% and I believe I'm still getting it. As far a FedEx is concerned, they still bill me whatever they used to do. Their prices did not magically go up when I started using AMEX Business.

My FedEx ship manager automatically looks up the address and makes the change from Ground to Home Delivery if it is a residential address. At the same time it standardizes the address and prompts if info is missing or wrong.

If it is a residential address it won't let me ship it Ground.

jimates said: My FedEx ship manager automatically looks up the address and makes the change from Ground to Home Delivery if it is a residential address. At the same time it standardizes the address and prompts if info is missing or wrong.

good one.

madcowdisease said: The method most people utilize is to actually never check residential and assume the address is a commercial one. If the carrier has address check and it comes up as commercial, problem solved. Otherwise, they will probably tack on the charge afterward. Experience says that more than half the time they never end up billing you commercial or not.

This works very well if you don't use a FedEx account because if you label the package commercial but the delivery scan was determined to be in residential area, FedEx will charge you the difference. I was quoted different rate at shipping time but when I received my Fedex bill I noticed that for some of the shipments the rate was adjusted and I was charge extra for it.

This is why I never use the Fedex account anymore to pay for FedEx shipping and mark everything commercial. I also use my American Express card to get additional 5% discount. FedEx has never tried to charge my AMEX card for the difference.

khilonna said: madcowdisease said: The method most people utilize is to actually never check residential and assume the address is a commercial one. If the carrier has address check and it comes up as commercial, problem solved. Otherwise, they will probably tack on the charge afterward. Experience says that more than half the time they never end up billing you commercial or not.

This works very well if you don't use a FedEx account because if you label the package commercial but the delivery scan was determined to be in residential area, FedEx will charge you the difference. I was quoted different rate at shipping time but when I received my Fedex bill I noticed that for some of the shipments the rate was adjusted and I was charge extra for it.

This is why I never use the Fedex account anymore to pay for FedEx shipping and mark everything commercial. I also use my American Express card to get additional 5% discount. FedEx has never tried to charge my AMEX card for the difference.

How do you use the fedex ship manager software if you do not charge it to your fedex account? If so how do you pay your bill? Is it online at the website or do you pay when you drop off your packages? TIA.

You can set up your account different ways. Mine is setup to pay with a credit card which is charged on a per shipment basis.
Each shipment shows up as a seperate charge on my card. The card is not charged until after the shipment is complete. That way they can charge the correct amount for the delivery type.

I only ship items over 5 pounds that are going to zone 5 or farther by carrier.
I only ship Ground or Home Delivery. I do drop my packages at the Express treminal and the Ground driver picks up there after 5pm. The packages are weighed when they get to the Ground terminal so if a low weight is entered when the shipment is prepared it will be corrected prior to leaving the terminal and the charge for the correct weight will be charged to the card when the shipment is complete.

If the address is not correct and there is an address correction during shipment there is a $5 charge for this and it will be included when they charge my card.

I live in a C2 Commercial area but I live in a house. My address doesn't show as residential with FedEx's address checking but they could technically charge the shipper the residential surcharge fee for delivering regular Ground to my house.

BenIsModernGranpa said: Just ask the person if they are shipping to a house or to a commerical buidling. does not really seam so hard
It adds time to the transaction. Sure, doing it once doesn't take that much time, but when multiplied by potentially thousands of packages a week, and considering it may well take buyers a week or more to respond (if they do at all), the utility of asking buyers if they are at residential or commercial addresses is far reduced.

Ben, you may want to take your email addy out of all of your posts. You're inviting spam. If anyone wanted to contact you here, they could do so using private messages.

colebert said: jimates said: My FedEx ship manager automatically looks up the address and makes the change from Ground to Home Delivery if it is a residential address. At the same time it standardizes the address and prompts if info is missing or wrong.

good one.

Are you saying it doesn't?

biglittle said: colebert said: jimates said: My FedEx ship manager automatically looks up the address and makes the change from Ground to Home Delivery if it is a residential address. At the same time it standardizes the address and prompts if info is missing or wrong.

good one.

Are you saying it doesn't?

Just like the warning on the Tylonol bottle prevents me from downing them all or the 55MPH sign on the road keeps me from going over the speed limit.

i3ighead said: khilonna said: madcowdisease said: The method most people utilize is to actually never check residential and assume the address is a commercial one. If the carrier has address check and it comes up as commercial, problem solved. Otherwise, they will probably tack on the charge afterward. Experience says that more than half the time they never end up billing you commercial or not.

How do you use the fedex ship manager software if you do not charge it to your fedex account? If so how do you pay your bill? Is it online at the website or do you pay when you drop off your packages? TIA.

To save money I drop off my packages at FedEx Kinkos' location. I have to measure and weight the package anyway so when I get to the drop off location I already know how much each package should cost. I have a feeling this only works at Kinko's location because I can ask them to use Ground instead of Home Delivery, whereas at the FedEx location they probably won't allow the change.

The area a package is being shipped to also have a bearing on service.

Some areas may not have enough business to support both Ground and Home delivery so they only us Ground.

khilonna said: This is why I never use the Fedex account anymore to pay for FedEx shipping and mark everything commercial. I also use my American Express card to get additional 5% discount. FedEx has never tried to charge my AMEX card for the difference.

So what prevents FedEx from charging your CC the difference between Res. and Comm. delivery? I find it difficult to believe that (1) you charge your shipments to AMEX, and (2) they charge the shipment, but not the surcharge. If you found a magic trick to do that, please share it.

ArgoNavis said: khilonna said: This is why I never use the Fedex account anymore to pay for FedEx shipping and mark everything commercial. I also use my American Express card to get additional 5% discount. FedEx has never tried to charge my AMEX card for the difference.

So what prevents FedEx from charging your CC the difference between Res. and Comm. delivery? I find it difficult to believe that (1) you charge your shipments to AMEX, and (2) they charge the shipment, but not the surcharge. If you found a magic trick to do that, please share it.

I think it works because a consume can do a charge back to dispute what was charged/quoted at shipping time and later on a difference was charged. Whereas if you use the Fedex account then they never officaly give you a bill because it will be charged to your FedEx card and if there difference then it will be adjusted internaly. Who/how would you dispute the difference when you use Fedex account? I have never been charged a surcharge or a difference since I have started charging to my AMEX card. Maybe there is a bigger discount if I use the FedEx account to ship.

Are you telling us that you pay with your AMEX card at the counter? If so, yes, they cannot charge you back the difference, but you're probably losing a substantial discount that Fedex gives you with your account.

khilonna said: I think it works because a consume can do a charge back to dispute what was charged/quoted at shipping time and later on a difference was charged. Whereas if you use the Fedex account then they never officaly give you a bill because it will be charged to your FedEx card and if there difference then it will be adjusted internaly. Who/how would you dispute the difference when you use Fedex account? I have never been charged a surcharge or a difference since I have started charging to my AMEX card. Maybe there is a bigger discount if I use the FedEx account to ship.

It all depends..

ArgoNavis said: Are you telling us that you pay with your AMEX card at the counter? If so, yes, they cannot charge you back the difference, but you're probably losing a substantial discount that Fedex gives you with your account.

khilonna said: I think it works because a consume can do a charge back to dispute what was charged/quoted at shipping time and later on a difference was charged. Whereas if you use the Fedex account then they never officaly give you a bill because it will be charged to your FedEx card and if there difference then it will be adjusted internaly. Who/how would you dispute the difference when you use Fedex account? I have never been charged a surcharge or a difference since I have started charging to my AMEX card. Maybe there is a bigger discount if I use the FedEx account to ship.

Doing anything at the fedex counter is a terrible waste of time.

Just like khilonna's last post.

colebert said: Doing anything at the fedex counter is a terrible waste of time.

Just like khilonna's last post.

Good come back. It all depends how much you ship. for me its worth going to the counter and shipping everything residential and for you it works to sit at your couch and ship the package so you don't have to take walk.

It all depends how much you are saving. I save and the saving is more then FedEx shipper discount.

colebert said: good one.
Why don't you make the attempt to be helpful instead of being just a smartáss?

Cynicism: The last bastion of the GED dropout.

TYTBUDGET

TYTBUDGET said:
Why don't you make the attempt to be helpful instead of being just a smartáss?

Cynicism: The last bastion of the GED dropout.

TYTBUDGET

nice one.

Skipping 6 Messages...
I am the poster boy for underweighing, though I'm not so stupid as to put 5.2lbs on a 70lbs box. I just have a set profile for 30lbs on everything big. It's a waste of my time to get up, carry my boxes to my digital shipping scale, weigh it, write down the numbers, and hand enter each one precisely.

1. If I give a package directly to the fedex ground driver, it has a puncher's chance of never being corrected.
2. If I take the package to Kinkos (or at least my Kinkos) for drop-off, their policy is to weigh every package.

Fedex Express is ruthless. You cannot get away with underweighing them. Don't waste your time.

(Commercial/Residential is a different story, though.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014