Where to buy cheap shipping envelopes...

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I've been using tyvek envelopes for shipping smaller items that goes first class (similar to the USPS priority mail envelopes). It's costing me around $0.60 per envelope usually (100ct, 12"x15.5"). I'm thinking of switching to poly envelopes, because it really is becoming expensive, with eBay fees/paypal fees/bad economy.

I got a couple questions:
1: What is the real difference between poly and tyvek...shipping wise?
2: Any good, cheap, and reliable places to purchase cheap envelopes of both kinds?

I'm looking on eBay...not a lot of tyvek envelopes for sale. Thanks a bunch for any help!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I use Poly Mailers (got them from the bay) - they're light-weight and flexible. Love them. CD size 6"x10" goes for about... (more)

applepielicious (May. 22, 2009 @ 10:26p) |

In what volumes? I have not seen them cheaper than Sam's prices for volumes under 50. (The problem is I am not a membe... (more)

BradMajors (May. 23, 2009 @ 7:27p) |

Oh sorry I didn't know we were comparing prices for under 50 pieces. I normally buy the CD size at 250 pieces to get tha... (more)

applepielicious (May. 23, 2009 @ 9:37p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.


What kind of items are you shipping? Bubble envelopes may be an alternative?

holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest

davef139 said: holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest


Looks like they sell bags too

CoffeeEater said: www.uline.com

uline comes out to $46 for 100...thanks!

davef139 said: holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest


Do they ship to Massachusetts? I couldn't get a price on anything unless I log in.

fishie74 said: What kind of items are you shipping? Bubble envelopes may be an alternative?

Bubble Envelopes can work if they are cheaper, but I was under the assumption that those are the most expensive.

I've used "theerb" and their store "valuemailers" on eBay (not me). Someone else said eBay was the cheapest place to get them and that's pretty much what I found. I've bought size 0, 1 and 4 I believe for cheaper than I could most places. Not sure what size envelopes those are you need but I see size 6's (100 pack) for less than $60 shipped in their store. They also have a website I believe too but I can't remember if prices were more or less than they are on eBay. I'm not familiar with the tyvek envelopes but if that's the same as the paper ones, I've bought some of those and then some of the poly ones. Definitely shop around but that's the cheapest I saw and definitely cheaper than OD or Staples.

parquedematthew said: I've used "theerb" and their store "valuemailers" on eBay (not me). Someone else said eBay was the cheapest place to get them and that's pretty much what I found. I've bought size 0, 1 and 4 I believe for cheaper than I could most places. Not sure what size envelopes those are you need but I see size 6's (100 pack) for less than $60 shipped in their store. They also have a website I believe too but I can't remember if prices were more or less than they are on eBay. I'm not familiar with the tyvek envelopes but if that's the same as the paper ones, I've bought some of those and then some of the poly ones. Definitely shop around but that's the cheapest I saw and definitely cheaper than OD or Staples.

Thank you! Funny you mentioned that, because just minutes ago, I was browsing eBay and their polybags are only 11 cents when buying 1000 at a time! I think I might buy from them, and with live Cash Back, its about 10 dollars cheaper too!

Thanks for everybody's help! Saved me 50 cents per bag!

I bought these and they work well. You can get 8% "Cash Back" through Live search. Text

Wreptyle said: davef139 said: holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest


Do they ship to Massachusetts? I couldn't get a price on anything unless I log in.


I would assume so they do charge shipping on items so most likely they will.

10 1/2 x 16" #XPAK5 Bubble Lined Self-Seal Poly Mailer (100/case) $.34/ea
#5 12 x 15 1/2" Self-Seal Poly Mailer (500/case) = 9.7cents/ea

plus shipping, I buy all my boxes and poly bubble (moved away from kraft bubble) from them.

Buy them at Staples or Office Max using rewards checks from recycling ink cartridges.

BradMajors said: Buy them at Staples or Office Max using rewards checks from recycling ink cartridges.

Why? If you earn rewards, they're yours. Why not spend them wisely than blow them on overpriced items? People have this same mentality with gift cards. They get a $100 gift card and treat it like a coupon when really, it's a $100 exchange. I'd rather save by buying my shipping supplies online and then pick up clearance or hot deals using my rewards. And for the price you pay for a 30 pack of envelopes at OD, you can get a 250 pack online.

BradMajors said: Buy them at Staples or Office Max using rewards checks from recycling ink cartridges.

Thanks for the advice, but I agree with matthew above. I usually spend my rewards on FAR deals w/coupon from Staples.

davef139 said: Wreptyle said: davef139 said: holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest


Do they ship to Massachusetts? I couldn't get a price on anything unless I log in.


I would assume so they do charge shipping on items so most likely they will.

10 1/2 x 16" #XPAK5 Bubble Lined Self-Seal Poly Mailer (100/case) $.34/ea
#5 12 x 15 1/2" Self-Seal Poly Mailer (500/case) = 9.7cents/ea

plus shipping, I buy all my boxes and poly bubble (moved away from kraft bubble) from them.


Sounds great, but I think with shipping, eBay beats this by a few cents per.

parquedematthew said: BradMajors said: Buy them at Staples or Office Max using rewards checks from recycling ink cartridges.

Why? If you earn rewards, they're yours. Why not spend them wisely than blow them on overpriced items? People have this same mentality with gift cards. They get a $100 gift card and treat it like a coupon when really, it's a $100 exchange. I'd rather save by buying my shipping supplies online and then pick up clearance or hot deals using my rewards. And for the price you pay for a 30 pack of envelopes at OD, you can get a 250 pack online.


OK. If you want to save your rewards checks then you can use someone else's rewards checks:

1) Wait for one of Office Max's regular sales (such as now) (5 of 8.5 x 11 padded mailers for $1.99)
2) Buy an Office Max coupon off eBay. (such as $10 off $20 for $3)
3) Buy an Office Max rewards card on eBay (at a typical 20% discount)

The math:

Buying 50 bubble mailers ((10 x $1.99) - $10) * 0.8 + $3 = $10.92 or 22 cents per envelope

While it is possible to buy envelopes cheaper in units of 500, I have not found a cheaper way to buy padded mailers in the amounts I need which is about 25 to 50 envelopes at a time.

Wreptyle said: davef139 said: Wreptyle said: davef139 said: holy crap 60cents/ea the biggest thing is are you going to be ok with buying like 1000s at a time.

Tyvek is more durable then poly, poly is more weather resistant.

http://www.jitpackaging.com/
They bought out another company but they are much cheaper then uline if you are midwest


Do they ship to Massachusetts? I couldn't get a price on anything unless I log in.


I would assume so they do charge shipping on items so most likely they will.

10 1/2 x 16" #XPAK5 Bubble Lined Self-Seal Poly Mailer (100/case) $.34/ea
#5 12 x 15 1/2" Self-Seal Poly Mailer (500/case) = 9.7cents/ea

plus shipping, I buy all my boxes and poly bubble (moved away from kraft bubble) from them.


Sounds great, but I think with shipping, eBay beats this by a few cents per.


Have you bought these yet? Im prob buying another batch of mailers so I can see if i can split some with ya prob cheaper.

With uline they are decently priced if you order 300$ for free shipping. I'll usually add some if I need more $$$ to get to 300.

I also found upaknship.com has decent prices and i'll usually just email and see what pricing they can do for what I need.

As far as quality they are both good (I order the poly bubble mailers). The uline may be a tad better but I actually like the upaknship ones (they are a tiny bit bigger and have small perforated pull tab).

I once ordered from some random ebayer and the quality was really bad so order a few as a sample first if you need alot.

Sam's Club sells 3M Quality Bubble Mailer 25 Pieces for about $8.00. That is about 35 cents one piece. Not bad.

Funny that we just made the decision to switch to envelope for shipping smaller items. I don't really think there is any reason to use tyvek envelopes though. I think those are more for shipping documents or contracts. The bubble padded envelope is almost half the price. We use papermart.com because they give 15% discount and free shipping to southern California when order is over $300.

Who is paying for tyvek envelopes? They are free at the post office, FedEX, UPS. Sure they say USPS, FedEX or UPS on them....but turn them inside out. That is what I do. Works like a champ.

reminbi2000 said: Sam's Club sells 3M Quality Bubble Mailer 25 Pieces for about $8.00. That is about 35 cents one piece. Not bad.
Costco has 100 8 1/2 x 12 padded envelopes with free shipping for $26.99. i.e. 27c per piece.

qube said: Who is paying for tyvek envelopes? They are free at the post office, FedEX, UPS. Sure they say USPS, FedEX or UPS on them....but turn them inside out. That is what I do. Works like a champ.

I do one better, I go into the post office and take the money out of their cash registers. I don't even have to sell on eBay anymore. Works like a champ.


I actually searched for envelopes on eBay and bought them at a much cheaper price than what I had been paying before. Maybe you can check there?

I use Poly Mailers (got them from the bay) - they're light-weight and flexible. Love them. CD size 6"x10" goes for about 15 cents a piece and smaller size 4"x8" goes for about 10 cents a piece.

applepielicious said: I use Poly Mailers (got them from the bay) - they're light-weight and flexible. Love them. CD size 6"x10" goes for about 15 cents a piece and smaller size 4"x8" goes for about 10 cents a piece.
In what volumes? I have not seen them cheaper than Sam's prices for volumes under 50. (The problem is I am not a member of Sam's)

BradMajors said: applepielicious said: I use Poly Mailers (got them from the bay) - they're light-weight and flexible. Love them. CD size 6"x10" goes for about 15 cents a piece and smaller size 4"x8" goes for about 10 cents a piece.
In what volumes? I have not seen them cheaper than Sam's prices for volumes under 50. (The problem is I am not a member of Sam's)


Oh sorry I didn't know we were comparing prices for under 50 pieces. I normally buy the CD size at 250 pieces to get that price and the smaller size at 500 pieces to get that price. I go through them pretty fast and this is the best price I can find on the bay. For smaller volume sellers, there's also 100 pieces of the CD size poly bubble mailers at 23 cents a piece.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014