Amazon buyer claims never received item. What do I do?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello!
I am a relatively new seller to Amazon, and today I received this message from a buyer about a cell phone I sold him:

"Where the heck is my phone
Its been a month already, this phone was supposed to be delivered priority mail. I don't care about a "delivery estimate", estimate that the friggin thing should arrive within my lifetime! AARRGH!"

As you can see, this guy is already acting like a tool. However, I want to do what's right. Should I go ahead and just refund the purchase to him?

As a note, I sent this item on August 31st (not a month ago), shipping with delivery confirmation, and upgraded him to priority for free (not because he paid for it).

When I checked the tracking number (0308 2690 0002 1105 8654) at usps.com, it said that the item was delivered on September 3rd. Am I correct in assuming I would likely lose a claim because I didn't use signature confirmation.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

how much was the item?

Hi Brian. The total was right around $18.

livinn59801 said: Hello!
When I checked the tracking number (0308 2690 0002 1105 8654) at usps.com, it said that the item was delivered on September 3rd. Am I correct in assuming I would likely lose a claim because I didn't use signature confirmation.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Yep. I'll say it before and say it again, USPS delivery confirmation is WORTHLESS. Don't even bother buying it. They scan "delivered" when it gets to the zip code's post office. Not even close to the person's delivery address. Just refund him $18 and accept it as a loss of doing business. Most buyers care more about getting their item than making $18 from a scam.

Don't refund.Amazon accept DC as proof of delivery.Amazon is required to get SC for items only over $100.

I think the buyer already got the item.He is trying to scam you as you are a new seller.

If the buyer file A-Z clailm give the tracking number to Amazon & you will be ok.

If the buyer lost the package ask him politely to file for mail fraud or request a copy of police report plus his affidavit that he didn't received the package(UPIC insurance clause).Then only consider giving a refund.

It's eighteen bucks. Apologize and explain that you have no way of knowing that the buyer didn't receive the item, as the POST OFFICE shows that it was delivered on September 3rd. Ask them to check with neighbors to see if they may have picked up the package. When the response comes back as "no, nobody's seen it" (99% probability), refund the buyer and ask politely that they help you to cooperate with them in the postal theft investigation that you will be initiating. Then raise as much hell as possible with the post office. Delivery confirmation really ought to mean something.

If the buyer were trying to scam you, there would have been signs earlier. It looks like this buyer just got impatient after waiting forever and lost his temper.

If the buyer is not trying to scam you he will be responded like ''Ok according to DC it shows that the package was delivered.But I didn't get the package.Can you give more info about item delivery or can you help me find the package''.not like ''Where the heck is my phone''.

I don't know about Amazon but if are buying from any other site including eBay the buyer's claim will be denied.

The DC is very reliable at it shows buyers city,date, time plus zip code like for your tracking 0308 2690 0002 1105 8654.

Delivered, September 03, 2009, 11:59 am, CHICAGO, IL 60609
Notice Left, September 02, 2009, 1:45 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60609
Arrival at Post Office, September 02, 2009, 6:15 am, CHICAGO, IL 60609
Processed through Sort Facility, September 01, 2009, 10:35 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
Acceptance, August 31, 2009, 8:29 am, MISSOULA, MT 59802

The DC shows that buyer actually picked up the item from post office after receiving a notice left by usps for which he has to show an ID.

Definitely a scam or may be employee theft(very less chance for a mere $18 item)

If the buyer picked up the item from usps he will be on video.Just call the buyer's post office speak to the postmaster about the issue.

Don't refund money just by listening to some others advice.In this economy even $18 count.Research and arrive at one's own decision.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I noticed that too Cosmiverse. He would have to show an I.D. wouldn't he in order to pick it up? If so, something seems a little fishy.

refund the buyer and ask politely that they help you to cooperate with them in the postal theft investigation that you will be initiating

Ugh, no.
Provide the tracking information. Ask if he received it.
After that, indicate that you'll be happy to provide a full and complete refund, but he's going to need to sign a form indicating a postal theft. Just let him know that you'll need him to participate in the theft report, afterward you will refund 100%.

If it was picked up from the post office - I'd not refund. If he insists that it was not picked up (a mistake is possible) - indicate what I'm saying above.. He HAS to participate in the claim before you refund. Make him commit a felony if he's lying and wants his $18 back.

Amazon's policy is to only side in favor of the seller if it was sent with Signature Confirmation. It doesn't matter how many delivery confirmation stickers were on the package, it means nothing if it isn't signature confirmation. That's why it's sometimes better to go with UPS or FedEx (although they don't *have* to get a signature unless you pay extra for it or it's delivered to a business).

For this same problem I don't sell on Amazon or accept Amazon payments.Their a-z claims are a paradise for scammers.

All other check out systems accept DC as proof of delivery for items under $250.SC cost $1.95 online which is very expensive for a small priced item.

One of my friend who sells on Amazon said that if you provide tracking usually Amazon leave you off the hook, but still refund the buyer themselves & eat the loss.

Buyers are limited to a lifetime maximum of five claims for purchases from Amazon Marketplace.

So the scammer won't last long.Once they get banned it is very difficult get back into Amazon.Their verification system is very good.

Also the buyer has to sign affidavit & get a mail theft report or police report for claim if you purchase a third party insurance through u-pic or DSI(Shipsurance).

cosmiverse said: For this same problem I don't sell on Amazon or accept Amazon payments.Their a-z claims are a paradise for scammers.

All other check out systems accept DC as proof of delivery for items under $250.SC cost $1.95 online which is very expensive for a small priced item.

One of my friend who sells on Amazon said that if you provide tracking usually Amazon leave you off the hook, but still refund the buyer themselves & eat the loss.

Buyers are limited to a lifetime maximum of five claims for purchases from Amazon Marketplace.

So the scammer won't last long.Once they get banned it is very difficult get back into Amazon.Their verification system is very good.

Also the buyer has to sign affidavit & get a mail theft report or police report for claim if you purchase a third party insurance through u-pic or DSI(Shipsurance).

I sell quite a bit on Amazon and have only had a handful of users claim they did not receive the item. You're mostly likely missing out on quite a bit of sales by not selling there and overall, I think if any site is a scammer's paradise, it would be eBay. Not to mention, some items I can sell for as much as 30% higher on Amazon because there is less competition and less users "cleaning out the garage" and selling just to get rid of the item.

It happens from time to time.

Did you consider that maybe the buyer really didn't get the item? I mean if I was a scammer I sure wouldn't bother with $18 items.

I usually sell cell-phone accessories which are priced less than $50.So getting SC on each item is very costly consider the item is already priced lowest in Amazon market place compared to other sites.

I now sell mostly on Ecrater (no fees), bonanzle & Atomic mall & getting good sales.

Since I am a small scale seller I am happy with these sites & also using both paypal & google checkout which only need DC as proof of delivery.

I think Amazon is good for a large volume seller who want fast turn over of goods.

Well time for an update!

On the same day the buyer contacted me, I sent him this response (note I am redacting his mailing address for his privacy):

"Hello! If you check the tracking number I sent (0308 2690 0002 1105 8654) at usps.com, this item shipped on 8/31/2009 and was delivered on 9/3/2009. Thus, can you confirm that the following address I shipped it to is correct:

Bxxxxxxx Sxxxxx
xxxxx x xxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx, Xx xxxxx

If so, can you check to see if anyone you live or share a post office box with has the package? If you live in an apartment complex sometimes the front desk will have them.

If that doesn't work let me know and we will go from there."

Well needless to say, I never heard back from him. However, today I received an A-Z claim from Amazon, and in his complaint he claims "he never receive any item he tried to contact the seller a but the seller never receive any respons."

Right off I checked his email address again, and sure enough, my response was sent to the email address Amazon has oon record for him. Thus, I responded to the claim noting that I indeed promptly responded to his question. To help my case, I attached my response to him as proof, as well as the "Track & Confirm" page I downloaded from usps.com for this item.

It is frustrating that he didn't bother responding to my email before filing an A-Z. Was my response to him reasonable and what would be expected in an situation like this?

He is a scammer.He will never respond.I got many Red for my advice.I think People cannot believe that buyers cheat for this much small amount.

I am also stuck with a dispute with google checkout with a scammer who filed charge back the day after he received the item.Didn't even bothered to contact me.

Ask him did he picked up his mail from post office ?

Unfortunately Amazon will refund him since there is no SC.

I still don't see the proof that signature confirmation is required for less expensive items. Quoted from Amazon:

Amazon said: How sellers can reduce the risk of an A-to-z Guarantee claim There are three simple ways to mitigate the risk of an A-to-z Guarantee claim for item not received: 1. Ship promptly and use a shipping method that ensures reliable delivery before EDD. 2. Ship with tracking information and provide this information to the buyer. 3. Ship higher priced items with signature confirmation tracking and/or insurance.

http://www.Amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=12758941

There is a discussion on fatwallet long before regarding the same question about a claim.

From the post,

Orders valued at $25-$100: The United States Postal Service offers a delivery confirmation service that is relatively inexpensive but does not include signature confirmation. USPS confirmation without signature only provides proof that your package arrived at the zip code provided. This service does not confirm delivery to a specific address.

Orders valued at $100 or higher: Using proof of actual delivery is a good idea because it will be easier for you to prove delivery with a signature confirmation. We also suggest insurance on high value shipments.

International or APO/Military orders: We recommend insuring these shipments because traceable shipping is not available for most International and Military shipments.

This unofficial terms were written to the seller by Amazon customer service.

The info can be found at below link

Link

Well I was just informed by Amazon that I lost the claim! Oh well, life moves on. Thank you cosmiverse and everyone else for your input.
From now on, I am not longer selling any high volume/low profit items. One complete loss like this wipes out too much profit I have already made from them. Like wise, I think I am switching to UPS Ground instead of USPS Priority. At least I will get insurance and a tracking number for free to help cover myself.

Sorry to know that you lost the claim.I expected that with Amazon.

USPS is still cheaper even with insurance & SC for Small items.

UPS & Fedex is good for big items.

Other than Amazon all checkout systems accept DC as proof of delivery for transactions under $250 like Google Checkout,Paypal etc.

Its better to use SC on all shipments on Amazon.

Thanks, OP for the information that Amazon let you sell a cell phone. When I was looking to sell mine they did not have an option to list a sell on cell phone pages.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014