• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I sold a brand new item to a customer about a week ago. Yesterday, a box I had never seen before shows up but has one of my labels on the outside and a FedEx sticker with a checkmark next to "Delivery Refused". I open it up to find the item with no packing slip, loosely in the box. I immediately knew that it had been re-boxed but what I didn't understand was how a shipment is refused but re-packed. For a sanity check, I inspected the item today and everything appears to be there so I know the item's box doesn't just contain rocks. I looked up the tracking information online and sure it enough it shows "delivery refused by recipient". At this point, I had heard nothing from the buyer. I contacted him asking him if he returned because he did not want the item. His response was simply "Yes, please refund". I emailed him back saying I would issue a refund but minus my cost of shipping (because there's no reason I should be out just because the buyer changes his/her mind. I waited a few hours just to see if he would flip. I heard nothing so I issued a partial refund and then hear back from the buyer now saying he didn't get what he paid for and wants a full refund. I have since emailed the buyer telling him that simply changing his mind about the item is not a valid reason but I issued the partial refund anyway.

What I don't get is how does this happen? The shipping box was not the original, and it was clear that someone had ripped the label off my shipping box and stuck it onto and oversized box and placed the item inside. Would FedEx have done this and what would've been the purpose? How will eBay view this situation since the item was shipped and technically shows delivered but after being refused?

I have a feeling my 100% feedback is about to take a hit but I'm not terribly concerned because I at least know I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I would talk to fedex. I doubt they will reimburse you (they might if you ship alot and you make a stink) but they are not supposed to allow refusal of anything that has been opened.

If it was not the original box how did the original label get on it?

I find it is best whenever I get something back that is refused or could not deliver or wrong address ect I will set it aside and wait for the buyer to contact me about it.

You said you have the item back and intact. Instead of fretting about what happened just move on and relist the item. Some sellers cannot seem to comprehend that eBay transactions do go bad and there is shrinkag along the way. You're fortunate to have the item back in one piece - other sellers aren't near as lucky.

If your business model can't afford a shrinkage reserve then you should revisit your business model or not use eBay.

I always refund the buyer only the purchase price not shipping and a restocking fee (around 15%) for buyer's remorse which is clearly listed in my eBay terms.

Please check that the buyer didn't switched item(I always record serial no).

eBay & even CC will approve this charge and prevent this kind of buyers from making immature decisions in future.

It takes a lot of time to llist,sell and ship an item unlike a retail store where they can easily take back an item and put it back on store inventory.

I won't care not for a single -ve and also block these kind of buyers.

Amazon also recently started blacklisting buyers with too many problems or returns.

Many online stores charge around 20% restocking fee for refused deliveries.

Thanks all.

From what I can tell, they peeled the label off the original box and sloppily taped it onto the new box. It still doesn't make sense but I have a feeling contacting them won't result in any straight answers (was hoping someone here had seen that before).

I do plan to relist the item (probably for more than the original sales price and either way I'll come out ahead because I do leave plenty of room for "shrinkage" with the items I sell. My problem is with the principle. This buyer obviously changed his mind on a whim and I see no reason to reward a buyer unable to accept their own mistakes or just out to work the system. Sure, it was me this week but if he gets away with it, next week someone else here may be dealing with it because the buyer feels he was right. If it means a hit to my FB then oh well, I'll keep going.

And believe me, I thought about the restocking fee after having a few legitimate returns recently but only have a restocking fee on certain items. I figured if I attempted to extract that plus my shipping cost it would really send this guy over the edge. At this point I'm 99% sure he didn't, if he did he did a good job. And what's weird is he did open the package or attempt to switch something, you would think FedEx would've had to be standing there while he did it. Strange.

Thanks for the responses. We'll see how the rest of it plays out. If I have to try to get the FB removed (if it happens) I'll go through those channels.

parquedematthew said: And what's weird is he did open the package or attempt to switch something, you would think FedEx would've had to be standing there while he did it.Not at all. He almost certainly did what you suspect with the label, took the box to the local Fedex office and said he wanted to refuse it. I've had to refuse a couple UPS packages that were left on the porch and all I had to do was bring it to the UPS office. If I wanted I could easily have blow-dryered (new word) the label off the original box, put it on a different box, and UPS would have been none the wiser.

comprx said: parquedematthew said: And what's weird is he did open the package or attempt to switch something, you would think FedEx would've had to be standing there while he did it.Not at all. He almost certainly did what you suspect with the label, took the box to the local Fedex office and said he wanted to refuse it. I've had to refuse a couple UPS packages that were left on the porch and all I had to do was bring it to the UPS office. If I wanted I could easily have blow-dryered (new word) the label off the original box, put it on a different box, and UPS would have been none the wiser.

Wow talk about a new way of getting scammed. Hope no scammer reads this thread.

I like to close off my threads so I will say that after telling him I would issue a partial refund, I also sent transaction cancellation to recover fvf's. The buyer appears to have accepted without saying anything else so I'm guessing they're done. They could always file a PayPal dispute but I'm guessing this is the end of the story.

principles 1, lousy buyers 0

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014