How do you drop off your PP prepaid USPS packages?

Archived From: Online Auction Info
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
How do you usually drop off your PP prepaid USPS packages? AFAIK, anything over 12oz must be handed to a USPS employee in person. Is there workaround so you don't have to waste time waiting in line just to hand the 13oz+ packages to a USPS employee and during regular business hours? Thanks!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I just leave them on the counter. My place has a designated place where you drop off pre-paid packages so you don't wait in line.

Also if the package fits in the collection box you can leave it in there even if it weighs more than 13oz. The 13 oz rule is for STAMPED mail. An online shipping label is not considered stamped mail. See here:http://www.usps.com/send/preparemailandpackages/preparingpackages.htm

The 13oz+ rule applies only to packages that are not from known mailers. Using PC Postage (e.g., PayPal postage) makes you a known mailer. I drop them on the counter or after hours drop in the APC bin.

The rules for domestic and international mail are different. For items more than 13 ounces being deposited in a USPS mailbox:

For domestic mail it is only required that the postage be electronic, for international items it is required that the postage, mailing label, and custom form (with electronic round stamp) all be done electronically.

Old-school blue mailbox if it fits.

I work in IT for a college, so I drop mine off at the college post office. They let me walk in and throw it in the bin. Same for UPS, actually.

I make sure they get taken care of when they have computer problems...

Carrier Pickup. Or just drop off at the nearest drop off location.

Not sure how many know this but each PO has a bulk mail dropoff in the back, usually where the loading docks are, you will generally see RR1-X on carts and crap, I park behind mine grab and empty cart and unload there, you just wheel it in the doors and they take care of it. I also live on a motor route so I can easily give bigger items to my carrier without notice since he is always in a vehicle and can take it.

there's a metal container with a handle. just pull it down to open then drop the box.
or skip the line and just go to the counter (stand and wait on the side until an employee notices you) and show the employee that you have a "pre-paid" box for drop off. they'll take it.

I always just put them on top of my mailbox at home and never had a problem. Couple of times the package is more than 10 lbs and the postman had to get out his little car to get it.

moneynomore said: I always just put them on top of my mailbox at home and never had a problem. Couple of times the package is more than 10 lbs and the postman had to get out his little car to get it.
Wow... I would definitely think I would be getting ripped off if I just left packages out at the street for pickup. And even if I didn't get ripped off, the worry about it alone would offset the convenience.

Is there anyway to go prepaid for international packages in order to avoid going to the PO and wait in line?

LongDongSilver said: Is there anyway to go prepaid for international packages in order to avoid going to the PO and wait in line?

PMI and express can be printed using PP. 1st class can be printed using Stamps.com.

Stamps.com is a service that costs money?

Yes it is, endicia seems a bit better having used both. Currently Endicia customer. belive you can get FatCash too.

just toss them down the chute...

I let my wife go to the post office and stand in line

No, but seriously, I use the self serve drop chute in the lobby by the automated postage machine. If there's not much of line, I use the counter, because then they give me (usually) a receipt for the package that has the tracking number on it.

Chase after after my mailman's van.

Throw them into the moving mail truck as it is driving by my office!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014