• filter:
  • 14 5 67881
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
ptpt said: Does anyone know if they require the serial number for a large appliance at time of purchase of the extended warranty?

I'm asking because this morning I scored a refrigerator at Sears for a terrific price but I won't be able to pick it up until 12/2. Sears ext warranties are very high so if I could use SquareTrade and with a coupon instead that would make a huge difference. I'd love to be able to do that soon while the discounts are in the 40% range.

I think they want the receipt and you have a week to get it to them.

rated:
i think you should have a receipt with a delivery date on it. thats a receipt in my book

rated:
ptpt said: Does anyone know if they require the serial number for a large appliance at time of purchase of the extended warranty?

I'm asking because this morning I scored a refrigerator at Sears for a terrific price but I won't be able to pick it up until 12/2. Sears ext warranties are very high so if I could use SquareTrade and with a coupon instead that would make a huge difference. I'd love to be able to do that soon while the discounts are in the 40% range.

See my post above. Just as an FYI if you get a ST warranty on a Black Friday big ticket item it is only insured for the value you PAID on BF! So depending on the deal you got a "repair" might be more feasible for them to "pay replacement cost" of the item and you just get the amount you paid for the BF deal, not get your item repaired. Your stuck looking for another "Deal" to replace it because you won't be actually able to replace it.

I checked on this because I purchased the BB 50% Steam washer/dryer. I UNDERSTAND squaretrades reasoning 100%....just giving you a heads up on it. I have yet to go back to BB and check to see if their warranty does actually "replace" it ( I THINK it does as they sold it and has the replace or better portion of it..but I have NOT confirmed it. I would suggest checking with the Sears warranty if thats the case...if it is I think it is worth the extra money. If it just covers it like the ST warranty then just realize it is only good for repairs up to a certain amount...but at this price it is still a great deal...just not a "full coverage" warranty)

Oh and they go by the receipt so you could buy the warranty anytime since you already purchased the item. It would just start on the date of purchase not delivery.

rated:
Thanks all, this is very helpful. I recently received an email from Tim Storm (Founder & CEO of FatWallet) and this kind of discussion and help is just another reminder of why this community is so amazing. It's not just about saving money really, it's about much more important things, especially in this society which is rife with big corporations and all kinds of scumbuckets abusing the little guy at just about every turn. I'd suggest that Fatwallet is a good image of what our US of A could REALLY be if we all pulled together, but this is a discussion for another day and for another thread...

Anyway, I'm wondering if the 40% discounts also applies to ADH or just the basic extended warranty.

I do wonder also, BTW, what kind of ADH a fridge could possibly be exposed to. I understand the concept for an MP3 player, but a fridge?

Thanks again, and have a nice and warm holiday season with your loved ones.

rated:
ptpt said: Anyway, I'm wondering if the 40% discounts also applies to ADH or just the basic extended warranty.

I do wonder also, BTW, what kind of ADH a fridge could possibly be exposed to. I understand the concept for an MP3 player, but a fridge?

They do not offer ADH on all items. I do not think it would be offered on your fridge, but would be on a cell phone or MP3 player. Go through the quote process to see what they offer.

I think when I got ADH in the past it was discounted by the coupon. Again, just get a quote and try it on the summary/purchase page!

rated:
ptpt said: Thanks all, this is very helpful. I recently received an email from Tim Storm (Founder & CEO of FatWallet) and this kind of discussion and help is just another reminder of why this community is so amazing. It's not just about saving money really, it's about much more important things, especially in this society which is rife with big corporations and all kinds of scumbuckets abusing the little guy at just about every turn. I'd suggest that Fatwallet is a good image of what our US of A could REALLY be if we all pulled together, but this is a discussion for another day and for another thread...

Anyway, I'm wondering if the 40% discounts also applies to ADH or just the basic extended warranty.

Thanks again, and have a nice and warm holiday season with your loved ones.

I purchased the ADH for a camera and it was discounted with the 40% off coupon!

rated:
They are extending the WARRANTYSANTA 40% until Tuesday:

On Friday, we experienced a short site outage due to the overwhelming response to our Black Friday promotion . Because we want to make sure that all of our valued customers get an opportunity to make the full use of our Black Friday promotion, we are extending it to all customers through the end of Tuesday, December 1st.

We apologize for any inconvenience and frustration we might have caused, and thanks again for your business.

Happy Holidays,
The SquareTrade Team

rated:
Thank you all of you for putting codes which I was able to use it ate different times

rated:
WarrantySanta still working for 25%
Holidaymail working for 20%
Prethank = expired

rated:
WARRANTYSANTA is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40, through 23.59 PT December 15th, 2009. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Jan 10th, 2010

rated:
35% off warranties sitewide via coupon code "SECRETSANTA". (A maximum discount of $40 applies.)

rated:
wakemaker said: 35% off warranties sitewide via coupon code "SECRETSANTA". (A maximum discount of $40 applies.)
Valid through Christmas.
Fine Print:
SECRETSANTA is valid for 35% off, up to a maximum of $40, through 23.59 PT December 25th, 2009 at www.squaretrade.com. Offer valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer, except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com, and to residents of the U.S. We are currently unable to sell warranties to residents of Wisconsin and Maine due to state regulatory issues. Warranty must be purchased within 90 days of item purchase date. The purchase window of warranties for Items bought on eBay is 30 days.
Email also states: "ONLY for Squaretrade Customers", so may not work for new customers.

rated:
cjtrue said: WARRANTYSANTA is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40, through 23.59 PT December 15th, 2009. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Jan 10th, 2010

I just used WARRANTYSANTA and got 30% off. /shrugs/

rated:
Here's my very late update.

I made an exception on BF and got myself to a Sears store in the wee AM hours and waited in line for 45 minutes in frigid temps, something I usually abhor. BUT I'm glad I did this for my family and that I was able to buy the fridge we wanted. Take a look at the math here (math rounded to nearest 10 dollar amount):

Regular Sears prices: Fridge: $2,100 (1,500 fridge [can be found on sale for $1275 from time to time] + $410 5 yr Sears warranty + taxes)

What I paid: $860 ($750 fridge + taxes + $60 5 yr SquareTrade warranty at 40% off, thanks to this FW thread)

Savings: $1240, not counting the roughly $300 our old fridge which is still in excellent shape and should fetch $300-350 on Craigslist. This gives us a new fridge and a lot of peace of mind for the next 15 years, for about $500 bucks.

SquareTrade has since emailed me, mailed me and phoned me (a little overhanded there, they need to stop doing this) specific codes for 50% off my next warranty purchase. Notwithstanding the unwelcome phone call, I'm awfully impressed by this company and I will definitely give them my business again.

As to the FW community, what can I say? It has to be one of the very few and of very best things this country has to offer right now.

rated:
The only code that seems to be working now is WARRANTYSANTA for 20% off.
If anyone has a better code, I would appreciate it very much, need to get a warranty on washer/dryer.

rated:
Give them a call and tell them you are using a code for 30% or 40% and its not working, more than likely they will give you a one time use coupon code and maximum I had to wait for a CS was may be 10 seconds.

rated:
Tried calling but no luck. Rep did say that warrantysanta will give 30% tomorrow.

rated:
Another day for 30%:

WARRANTYSANTA is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT January 5th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Jan 10th, 2010

rated:
NEWYEAR is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $50 through 23.59 PT January 12th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Jan 24th, 2010 at www.squaretrade.com. Offer valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com.

rated:
UPDATE : Valid for 01/19/2010 ONLY

NEWYEAR is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $50 through 23.59 PT January 19th, 2010. Offer valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com.

rated:
SUPERBOWLTV is valid for 35% off all TV warranties, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Febuary 7th, 2010

SUPERBOWL20 is valid for 20% off all other warranties, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Febuary 7th, 2010

Both offers valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com

rated:
Thanks to the original OP, hadn't realized this thread existed. Even with discounts, for the more big ticket stuff pricing isn't still that great if you buy something from an authorized dealer with a manufacturer's warranty, which means places like Mack will come into play. Nice to know there are discounts for grey market purchases off the Bay though, which Mack won't touch.

One important sidenote that I wasn't aware of until this last week, though, since I almost never buy these.

If you do decide to buy an extended warranty through Squaretrade or others, do NOT use VISA for the purchase of the original item. Their extra year is only added on for a new item without a purchased warranty (and under 3 years of coverage for that), so basically the benefit goes poof.

On the other hand, AMEX allows up to 5 years of manufacturer's/purchased warranty and then will tack on a year after that if you use their card. Take a guess who I'm using for the next large purchase.

Not sure about what Mastercard/Discover/et al offer, but thought that might help others. Cheers.

rated:
Technically speaking, SquareTrade will not cover an item that is covered by another warranty either.

I'm not sure why you'd want two warranties anyway.

rated:
sinik said: Technically speaking, SquareTrade will not cover an item that is covered by another warranty either.

Not entirely true. From their coverage disclosure:

* If your item is new and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins the day you purchased the item and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.
* If your item is refurbished and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins upon expiration of manufacturer warranty and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.
* If your item is used, or doesn't have a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("Other"), then the Service Agreement begins on the 61st day after item purchase and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.

Refurbs do get double dip coverage. Everything else, Squaretrade does a nice job of not mentioning that their coverage is superseded by the manufacturer's warranty and (IIRC) a credit card warranty while those are in effect. Keeping that in mind helps when comparing pricing between them and other companies.

Of course, if you're buying something from a non-authorized dealer, Squaretrade is pretty much the only place that will let you buy a warranty on grey market goods.

sinik said: I'm not sure why you'd want two warranties anyway.

What you are calling "two" can actually three consecutive ones that can last 6 years, which is why you might want to use an AMEX if you're buying an item that you're thinking about buying an extended warranty on as well (absent rebates and such for using another card, obviously).

AMEX basic math: first year manufacturer (up to 5 years of manufacturer warranty allowed), up to next four years purchased extended warranty (if purchased extended warranty + manufacturer's warranty doesn't go past 5 years), and at end of manufacturer/purchased warranty AMEX covers for a year per manufacturer warranty, even if it's the sixth year you own the product.

With VISA: manufacturer's warranty up to 3 years, up to one year of VISA covers as per manufacturer warranty, and any purchased extended warranty supersedes VISA coverage.

I'll take option A every day of the week, and wish someone had posted this before I pulled the trigger on a recent deal. Cheers.

rated:
BIGGAME is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Feb 2nd, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Feb 7th, 2010

rated:
lazybucks said: sinik said: Technically speaking, SquareTrade will not cover an item that is covered by another warranty either.

Not entirely true.

Refurbs do get double dip coverage. Everything else, Squaretrade does a nice job of not mentioning that their coverage is superseded by the manufacturer's warranty and (IIRC) a credit card warranty while those are in effect.
That's what I was referring to. It's in their terms as well:This Agreement will cover a mechanical or electrical failure of the covered product(s) (“Product”) during normal usage for the Term of this Service Agreement if the Product is not covered under any other warranty, insurance policy, or service contract.

lazybucks said: What you are calling "two" can actually three consecutive ones that can last 6 years, which is why you might want to use an AMEX if you're buying an item that you're thinking about buying an extended warranty on as well (absent rebates and such for using another card, obviously).I see. AMEX will not overlap. Good to know, thanks.

rated:
cjtrue said: SUPERBOWLTV is valid for 35% off all TV warranties, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Febuary 7th, 2010

SUPERBOWL20 is valid for 20% off all other warranties, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Febuary 7th, 2010

Both offers valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com

SUPERBOWLTV appears to work on everything, not just TVs.

EDIT: When you checkout it comes up invalid, unless its a TV.

rated:
How long after buying a tv do I have to get a warranty from squaretrade?

rated:
90 days

rated:
WINTERSALE is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Feb 17th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Feb 28th, 2010 at www.squaretrade.com. Offer valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com.

rated:
Nice - just covered my Sceptre 46 for 3 years.

rated:
cjtrue said: WINTERSALE is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Feb 17th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Feb 28th, 2010 at www.squaretrade.com. Offer valid for warranties for items purchased from any retailer and to residents of the U.S., except Amazon.com, Buy.com, Abt Electronics, Vann's Inc, and Woot.com.

I didn't even see the Buy.com exception but they still approved my tv warranty with the coupon

rated:
Now I am hesitant and my cancel my policy. I confirmed with them yesterday. If an item has a single repair done that counts against the calim value of your warranty. So if a $500 tv has $250 worh of repiars one visit then is deemed unfixable you will not get a replacemnt (like other warrantys) you would get a check for $250. Seems a bit concerning if the item has a couple problems the warranty pretty much goes worthless for the remainder of the 3 year duration.

rated:
Well, compare that to my Best Buy warranty that only gives you one shot at service and it's gone, kaput! That's still a better deal.

UPDATE: BTW, I've done service four times now through Squaretrade. Twice I had no problems and they gave me flat refunds. The other two times I lost the receipt and it was rejected, so shame on me. I've emailed them scanned copies of my receipts for the other warranty contracts I have and have since become proactive in doing so. I still wouldn't trade Squaretrade for any other warranty.

rated:
WINTERSALE is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Feb 23rd, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Mar 1st, 2010

rated:
PREMADNESS is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 2359 PT Mar 2nd. Then the coupon code is valid for 20% off through Mar 15th.

rated:
One more day at 30% for PREMADNESS coupon:
PREMADNESS is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Mar 10th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Mar 15th.

rated:
PICKEM is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $40 through 23.59 PT Mar 25th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11.59pm PT Apr 5th, 2010

rated:
dang - you posted this on the 25th, i didn't get the "memo" until today - how do you get the info so fast????

rated:
lemonhead said: dang - you posted this on the 25th, i didn't get the "memo" until today - how do you get the info so fast????Yeah, sometimes I'm late to the party too. Today they are giving 30% for PICKEM again, then back to 20% until April 5.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 67881
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014