Digitone Call Blocker 10 Advice Wanted

Archived From: Technology
  • Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
rated:
Link

I need info/opinions on this product or others like it. Its a box that connects to a landland and hangs up on nuisance calls. It has a call block list that is 80 numbers deep. Outside of Digitones's web site there doesn't appear to be a lot of information about it. For the last couple of months Digitone has been accepting orders for delivery in June, 2010. Before that, they were promising availability in April, 2010.

Is anyone else looking at this product? Has anyone placed an order? If it works as advertised I'm interested in getting one, but it would be nice to hear that they are really shipping and that the product really works.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have 2 landlines, each having its own separate Digitone Call Blocker 10. They are programmed 100% identical on both l... (more)

lwesque (Sep. 27, 2012 @ 7:43p) |

I'd like to see a comparison of the Hi-Q Telecom (http://hqtelecom.com/products/incoming-call-block-803/)
... (more)

eloptiplex (Oct. 26, 2012 @ 6:12a) |

I have a similar Panasonic system. I believe it just hangs up on a blocked call. The only problem is the 30 number maxim... (more)

alanrichards (Nov. 05, 2012 @ 2:47p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Just curious - what kind of calls are you trying to avoid? Telemarketers can generally be avoided with the free Do Not Call list.

And bill and debt collectors can be avoided by writing them to tell them to only contact you in writing

I just use an answering machine, and when it goes to leaving a message, 99% of telemarketers hang up. If a friend calls, they start leaving a message, and I can pick up the phone.

minidrag said: Just curious - what kind of calls are you trying to avoid? Telemarketers can generally be avoided with the free Do Not Call list.I'm mostly avoiding telemarketing calls. I'm on the Do Not Call list, but it's not perfect. All kinds of loopholes; political fund raising/campaigning are exempt, and if you've done business with a company within a certain time frame, they're exempt too. AFAICT most of the telemarketing calls I am currently getting actually come from the phone company!

ellory said: And bill and debt collectors can be avoided by writing them to tell them to only contact you in writingI had not thought of that. Fortunately, I have not had much trouble with collection agencies. There was one, but I think they've mostly given up. I don't want to risk waking the sleeping dragon!

BlueSeaLake said: I just use an answering machine, and when it goes to leaving a message, 99% of telemarketers hang up. If a friend calls, they start leaving a message, and I can pick up the phone.I have noticed that telemarketers practically never leave messages as well and I suspect most people are doing exactly what you are doing. It might explain why there isn't more interest in products like the Digitone Call Blocker. My sister just turns off all the ringers on her phones and let the calls feed into an answering machine. I have a neighbor that does the same thing. Unfortunately, my current situation makes turning off the phone ringers impossible. And while I don't get junk calls from a broad range of numbers, the numbers that do call call a LOT! As many as seven times a day.

Thanks for the replies everybody! If I do eventually get the call blocker, I'll post a small review of it in this thread.

You can get a Zenith or Gemini EZ Hang UP for a few dollars on eBay. If you answer and it is a telemarketer press the button and hang up and then it plays a clip that says you won't talk to them and take you off their list and then it hangs up.

If a collection agency has called about a debt that is not true, you should check your credit report once in a while and make sure it does not have any wrong information.

When you answer the phone, you say "Please put me on your do not call list". I have found this works even with organizations that do not have to comply (e.g. political, those that you already have a relationship with)

I don't think I even get one junk call a month. And I don't have to spend $100 on this product

I have a Panasonic "expandable system" cordless phone (1 base, 6 handsets) that enables me to block certain numbers. A blocked number will ring once on my end and I'm not sure what the caller hears, it may just disconnect them?

mom2jel said: I have a Panasonic "expandable system" cordless phone (1 base, 6 handsets) that enables me to block certain numbers. A blocked number will ring once on my end and I'm not sure what the caller hears, it may just disconnect them?The Panasonic systems I looked at send a busy signal back to blocked callers. I personally have a Uniden cordless phone system that blocks calls; it sends a tone (I think its called a reject tone) and then disconnects.

I purchased call blocker 10 a few weeks ago when it first came out and I've been using it for one week. It is AWESOME! Don't waste your time doing any more research on what all is available out there. Other call blocking units had a bit of a problem not passing on the caller ID info. onto the handset. They must have figured that out because it works just fine with my phone and the phone number shows up on my TV screen. It's really easy to use and all you gotta do is hit block twice if you want to block a specific number and they can never call you back. I have about four or five numbers that call my house constantly and I can't get them to stop so I got this unit and the calls have stopped! I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find something to complain about but for what I needed it for I'm giving it 5 out of 5 stars. Hope this helps.

This is the one I got: http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

It is well worth the money. I had a few questions before buying it that wasn't listed on their website so I called their support number and I actually spoke with a real person. He was really responsive and knew what he was talking about and the best part it wasn't someone from India I couldn't understand.

Based on the advise from this forum, I ordered one and it is working PERFECTLY. To answer your question, a Blocked caller will hear about 8 seconds of silence and then get disconnected. I use VOIP at home from Time Warner. The way I connected my Digitone 10 box is from the cable modem phone jack, I connect that to "LINE" from the Digitone box. I then connected a phone line from the "PHONE" jack from the box to the wall phone jack.

What this does is you will NEVER hear your phone(s) ring on blocked calls. Remember that you must let the Digitone answer first so it could find out what the caller ID is. Therefore, if you connect a phone to the "PHONE" port, you will hear one ring which could be annoying if it's coming from a blocked number. The way mine is hooked up, I don't hear anything because all incoming calls are intercepted by the Digitone first. If it is not a blocked call, then it will ring through. Callers will get a one-ring delay before you pickup which is not a big deal.

One word of caution: after I ordered the Digitone box, I got an automated alert from Bank of America about unusual activities on the credit card I used to order the box. Found out that my credit card number was stolen 30 minutes after the order was placed, They voided the illegal transactions and issued me a new card. I am NOT SAYING this has anything to do with my order for Digitone, maybe it was a pure coincidence but I have ordered many things online before and never ran into this problem.

Hope this helps. The box really works and the shipping was fast, I received mine in 3 days priority mail.

I am glad to find this forum... I have had two calls labeled "unknown" pass-thru the Digitone-10 and able to leave voicemails. I can read calls online with my cable-voice provided. I have contacted the Digitone folks 3 times so far with different instructions to correct… But no help as yet. Anyone else experience this problem?

clapperc said: I am glad to find this forum... I have had two calls labeled "unknown" pass-thru the Digitone-10 and able to leave voicemails. I can read calls online with my cable-voice provided. I have contacted the Digitone folks 3 times so far with different instructions to correct… But no help as yet. Anyone else experience this problem?I occasionally get "Out of Area" calls. As long as the caller-id shows a phone number, the Call Blocker 10 allows the number to ring through, unless the number is in the call block list. According to the manual, the Call Blocker 10 will automatically block "unknown" calls only if no phone number is shown. If a phone number shows, the calls will ring through unless the number is added to the call block list. Probably what is important is whether or not a phone number is received by way of caller-id. If a phone number is received, the call rings through unless the number is in the call block list. If no number is received, the call is automatically blocked.

I may not fully understand how your unit is operating. The two calls labeled "unknown" that you mentioned, did the caller-id information associated with them show a phone number?

Did your "unknown" calls showed a phone number?

Did your "unknown" calls show a phone number at all?

I've not had that issue with the one I have. I only have about a dozen numbers that aggravate the living hell out of me so I just block those individually by hitting the block button twice and it's game over. There were a few that I had researched earlier this year that was calling a lot and I programmed those in. Have you tried programming those numbers in? Does the caller ID on CB 10 say that the number has been blocked? When I go through my caller ID on CB 10 and I get to a number that I have blocked it will say NBR BLOCKED.

I got one and it works like a charm. Worth every penny of it. Now I have peace and quiet.

callblocker said: antiHelloKitty said: automated alert from Bank of America....
Regarding the alert from Bank of America: It is very rare but, your credit card account could have been compromised by one of these methods:

1) 50% Probability - You typed in digitonesales.com from the address prompt or you used Digitone's Order Now button and your browser resolved it with "http:" instead of "https:" The correct URL should be https://www.digitonesales.com/ where the "s" in the address bar installs the secure certificate from the SSL to your computer to prevent open reception of your information as you enter it. Look for the Lock symbol and "https:" in the address bar for each page you are on.
I was going to dismiss this out of hand, but went to check, and sure enough I could create conditions to get to the card card page without ssl security

I am shocked and appalled that they even serve a transaction page without SSL

1. I did not know that about GoDaddy
2. re: Fedex, even though the web page is not SSL, the login is an SSL submission (I think - I am not an expert on HTML)

If you view the source you will see "https://"+logout_host+"/fcl/web/jsp/logout.jsp?locale=us in the html

Thanks for your reminder about http:// vs https://. I am usually mindful about this but got so excited with the Digitone 10 that I rushed and ordered it. I've had no more stolen credit card transactions since then.

Been using the Digitone 10 for close to 2 months now and it is working like a charm. Blocked numbers are well, blocked!! My phones never ring, not even once if a number is blocked. No more argument with strangers and interruption during dinner hours. Just peace and quiet and when the phone rings, I know it's people I want to talk to (except perhaps my in-laws!). This is one of the best purchase I ever made online.

I totally agree $100 is pricey for a box like this. But it works as advertised, help keeps my blood pressure low, and saves my time telling idiots not to call anymore. So, it's worth the money in my mind.

I put the box near my desk and could hear the relay clicking when it intercepts a call. It sounds pretty loud, almost as loud as the relay inside my house thermostat. I don't know if this is typical but I am fearful of not having it working one day. I may get another eventually, just to have a spare!

clapperc i have Digitone-10 i know what your saying i played with the box what i mena is calling myself very realer do i get threw when i blocked myself as for tests i got threw two diffrent times in testing but my phone both those times didn't ring but the call did go threw but like i said this is VERY RARE

clapperc i have Digitone-10 i know what your saying i played with the box what i mena is calling myself very realer do i get threw when i blocked myself as for tests i got threw two diffrent times in testing but my phone both those times didn't ring but the call did go threw but like i said this is VERY RARE

clapperc i have Digitone-10 i know what your saying i played with the box what i mena is calling myself very realer do i get threw when i blocked myself as for tests i got threw two diffrent times in testing but my phone both those times didn't ring but the call did go threw but like i said this is VERY RARE. but don't worry about it i have (800)(888)(877)(866)(000) numbers blocked and it works they can't get threw im laughing at them now because they no longer can call me

To Hexapawn above, who asked about the digitone product - and to the others who ask why one would need such a product, well, I have some opinions from experience. Since there are so many types of unwanted callers, from those who may be people you know personally, to fundraising, to random calls for jobs and internships, if you happen to own a home business, to scammers - well, the list goes on and on.

There have been almost no adequate devices on the market that will allow you to program in unwanted numbers, and also allow you to program in how to handle unknown numbers, as well as working in tandem with a voicemail service through your landline phone company. The only exception I have found (before I found digitone call blocker) was the "Caller ID Manager" which also went by the name of "Person to Person, Interceptor ID". I called the company and found out why there are two names (variance in distribution but it's the same box). Ok, the Caller ID Manager is no longer in production, and so, I was lucky enough to find one online, used and bought it. It has been perfect, except i think i may have spilled liquid on it, and now need a new one (most likely my fault, not the box's fault).

Here's the interesting thing that may help those of you who also use voicemail: on the caller ID manager box, i reversed the use of the phone and answer machine ports on the back of my caller id manager (which i am thinking is like digitone). I set the answer machine to answer after two rings and not enable a message to be left (only generic outgoing msg). i set my voicemail service to answer after 4 rings. I programmed in UNWANTED callers into the 'invited' list, and allowed every other call to ring my phone, going to voicemail if i did not answer. all unwanted callers were sent to the rather dead message machine. this was my workaround for the fact that you could not get this functionality otherwise. in other words, if you wanted private numbers to be able to ring your phone (because you have a business) - and go to voicemail, but want only listed unwanted numbers to not even ring your phone or be able to leave any voice mail message, well, this setup worked great for me.

Now that i need another box, i am surprised to find the digitone. i was not previously aware of this box, and i am thinking maybe it's totally new on the market, well as of summer 2010. if so, according to the specs, it may be just what i need.

To the other comments here describing contacting each unwanted caller to request they not contact you or to do it in writing is seriously over-work. When you can just take care of them and more, with a few pushes of a button. i even have some crazy potential clients that may call, and i don't want to deal w/ them. What am i going to do, call them and tell them that? No, i just want them to not ever be able to leave a msg, and to not necessarily know why. they usually just go away and find another service. or an annoying acquaintance, you don't really want them to leave a message because then you have to respond. but if they can not leave a msg, it's perfect. I'm going to order a digitone caller id box and from the specs, it looks like i may not even have to alternatively use the ports in reverse - i think this version of box is set up to handle unwanted callers by 1. not ringing your phone 2. not allowing them to leave a msg 3. dealing with the call so it does not default by x rings to hit your voicemail box (which a lot of the other caller id boxes, do - which defeats the whole purpose).

okie dokie, my vote currently, based on having experience with the ring manager, the person to person call id manager, etc, is that the digitone looks so far like it might just kick *ss. if it doesn't - I'll be back to critique.

dup

http://www.propay.com is the payment system digitone is using and it probably SUCKS. I called and talked to the guy who works / runs the digitone company today. He was legit regarding the digitone products, and I told him about how his credit card payment system had been compromised AGAIN yesterday, after i made a payment online. That is why i called him, to request (demand) that the payment system be taken down immediately, and that they seek a new system to use. I suggested that they just put up a phone number for now, where you can call and order, which he did literally while we were on the phone. I then tested the page to make sure no one could make online payments using their legacy cig-bin payment system. He was very nice, interesting, and apologetic about the fraudulent hack that has been happening. We were on the phone for quite a while, about various things.

Even tho they had tried to track down the CC payment problem of fraudulent stealing of credit card info, they had not gotten a conclusion in the past month, he described. Having some experience with web coding, I asked him to stop using the current version.

Hopefully using a new system will fix the problem. He said my Call Blocker 10 box was in the mail already, and i look forward to getting it. Regarding the actual products they offer, they seem to be excellent. Here's the phone number for their online orders:

This has been posted today, and is from https://www.digitonesales.com/
".. Please call 1-877-610-5693 to place your order. Our order system is now being upgraded to accommodate newer payment systems and is not available to take your order. .."

so, hopefully no one else will have to go thru being violated via their cc purchase.

QUOTE - "If you follow their page links, you're protected."

- not true - followed links and was hacked yesterday, sept 6th 2010. Today, i called digitone, they took down the cart links, and until they upgrade to another payment system,

GOOD NEWS: you can call to order. number newly posted on the digitone.com site.

To fatwallettttttt :

The Digitone Call Blocker 10 box can be setup to:

1. not ringing your phone
2. not allowing caller to leave a msg
3. not going to your voicemail after x rings

All you have to do is:

1. Connect your incoming line from the phone company to the "Line" port
2. Connect your whole house home/office line to the "TEL" port

When you receive a call, the box will first intercept it to determine if the number should be blocked or let it pass through. If it is blocked, the caller will hear about 8 seconds of dead silence and then they are disconnected. Your phone(s) will never ring, not even once.

If the number is not blocked, your phone(s) will ring as usual. There is a one to two seconds delay after someone calls you before you will hear a ring. This is the time taken up by the box to determine whether a number is blocked or let it pass through. To the caller, it only means an extra ring or two before someone picks up.

I must say AGAIN this is one of the best purchase I have even made online. Interestingly, numbers that I have blocked from collection agencies looking for some strangers at my home number have stopped. They are not calling less frequently, I mean they stopped calling period! When I checked my blocked numbers on the display from time to time, those numbers don't show up anymore.

And if I get another company calling, two pushes of a button and that number is blocked. What could be easier than that?

I purchased the Digitone Call Blocker 10 a couple days ago and had a problem with the caller ID info not passing on to my base phone and the extensions. I called tech support and they researched my problem. It seems my new Panasonic KX-TG6544 Dect6+ phones "flash timing" is set to 900ms by default. The tech recommended I change it to 400 or 600ms and see if my caller ID works properly again. I made the changes in the Panasonic's menu and the problem seems to be fixed now.

I have the new Verizon FIOS Digital Voice package with "call blocking" as one of it's features but they have a limit of 10 programmed numbers. You would think they would allow many more than that.

Does anybody ever notice it TICKS the digitone call blocker 10 when you pick up the phone to call people and after you hang up for a few seconds it "ticks" again like it picks up the line again??!!! I also noticed when it lets calls through it "ticks" I know with BLOCKED calls it don't tick at all. Im not sure if anybody out there knows why it does this. Also has anybody ever noticed that AT TIMES not often much the digitone call blocker 10 sometimes slips up and lets calls though even if their blocked. One blocker device i sure wish we could get here was "TRUE CALL here in the USA you can only get it in the UK heres a link to it please watch the demo on it and let me know what you think of TRUE CALL and please reply to my questions on digitone call blocker 10 heres the link to TRUE CALL http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/electronics/truecall-phone-call-screening?gclid=CIWm-IzO4KMCFZZM5Qodyh7qmg

Since my last post, the Digitone Call Blocker stopped passing CID info to either my base or cordless extensions. It worked at first but not anymore. I contacted Digitone again and although I received prompt email replies, they haven't found a permanent cure yet. I wonder if the CID info continues past the first ring or so. If it doesn't, this would explain the problem.

Does anyone here know if the CID info extends past the first ring ?

I would hate to give up first ring suppression since it allows blocked numbers to ring my phone once, but caller ID is more important on my extensions.

The TICKS you hear is the relay clicking inside the Digitone Box. When a call is blocked, there is no need for Digitone to activate the relay to transfer the call to the line port. Hence no ticking is heard. When a call is being passed through, it needs to activate the relay, otherwise your phone(s) won't ring. When you hang up, the relay has to switch back to get ready for the next call, so you hear more ticking. That would be my guess...

As far as I could tell, the CID information remains after the first ring until the call is picked up. I know this because sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 rings before answering a call and the CID info remains on my phone till I pick up.

P.S. Have you tried connecting to a generic CID phone? I have an older Panasonic KX-TG5422 and that works ok.

blueribb my caller id still passes though to my corldless phones, not sure whats going on with yours, sorry to hear thats happing to you, maybe send it back if it contunes and ask them to see if they can fix the bugs out of it, please keeps us imformed what you do and if it contunes or whatever you do

blastoff577 said: blueribb my caller id still passes though to my corldless phones, not sure whats going on with yours, sorry to hear thats happing to you, maybe send it back if it contunes and ask them to see if they can fix the bugs out of it, please keeps us imformed what you do and if it contunes or whatever you do

Do you have "1st ring suppression" activated ? If I turn first ring suppression off, all my phones display caller ID info correctly. Once I turn it on, CID info is displayed only on the blocker. Also, another weird thing happens - during the first silent ring, I still hear the upstairs extension ringing. I have the Panasonic KX-TG6544 DECT 6+ phones in my home. Only the base is connected directly to the blocker's phone port. The extensions are part of the Panasonic system and are not connected to wall jacks.

blueribb Yes it was Auto when i got it "1st ring suppression" activated

Is anyone using this with FIOS? If I got it, would I connect it to the modem/router box or would I connect it to a phone jack? Can it be hooked to any random phone jack or must it be the primary phone jack (which is a wall mount and not convenient to do)? Thanks.

ingosgirl i don't have FIOS connect it to your primary phone jack have but you have to rememeber your other phone "WILL RING" so best to keep the other ringers off, the phone not connected to the call blocker 10 if you have only corldless phones and they are connected to ONE phone base, that are conneted to the call blocker 10 on the portline then none of the phones will ring, IF BLOCKED, now numbers not blocked will ring though on the second ring. Im not sure what im saying will help you out. Im can't explane things that well

Skipping 93 Messages...
I have a similar Panasonic system. I believe it just hangs up on a blocked call. The only problem is the 30 number maximum blocked memory. Maybe other systems have a larger memory. I tried a stand-alone T-Lock unit with a 1500 number memory, but it didn't work out of the box. Returned it, and have been contemplating the Digitone one. Too bad we have to spend more of our money to get the protection from overwhelming unwanted calls.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014