hdmi to surround sound?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Wasssa FW party people!
Okay so what I am trying to do is to play blurays off of a a DESKTOP I have built. I have connected the DESKTOP through HDMI1 to my REGZ TV. Visually it is excellent.
Now comes the fun part. The audio
Someone on youtube had a similar problem for their Xbox360 and had put up a diagram of it. Ignore the two texts on the left (the XBOX360 and HDMI audio adapter)

Under the HDMI1 output I have a red nd white, right and left audio output.
My Logitech speakers do not have an OPTICAL input. What they have instead is a (RED, WHITE)to GREEN connector. Green is the subwoofer and front two speakers. This leaves me with no rear sound (I could simulate it with a matrix mode, but it isn't as good).

How do people normally do this?

TV is a Toshiba 46SV670U 46" 1080p HD LED TV with an HDMI output, and with that hdmi output a red, white output with a "color stream hd Y, Pr, Pb", an infared audio output and an "PC HDMI Audio. " Manual is hereunder resources. Page 11 has an image of the back of the TV

The speakers are Logitech z-530 surround sound. There are some really nice photos of the back of it and all its inputs hereon Amazon

Thanks for the help guys. I just graduated college and I am thankful for having a job. I spent my first paycheck on my big purchase and want to hone the moment

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

HDMI carries both video and audio signals. If you are connecting your desktop to the TV, the TV should be receiving the sound signals, too. If you want to connect external speakers, you should be able to use TV's audio output.

To get front and rear sound, the easiest way would be to connect the speakers to the computer directly. But then they won't play normal sound from the TV tuner or other peripherals. Are your speakers far from the computer and close to the TV? What are the model numbers of the TV and the speakers? If you aren't willing to use an RCA switchbox when you switch from computer to TV input you may not have an easy solution, depending on the inputs and outputs available.
However, if you connect the rear audio directly to the computer and switch the speaker front audio input between computer and TV, it may do the trick: RCA switchbox example

The above is based on the TV having only Red and White analog outputs. If you get a speaker that better matches your other TV outputs you can use a more direct and simpler connection.

itzcuzimuslim said: Someone on youtube had a similar problem for their Xbox360 and had put up a diagram of it. Ignore the two texts on the left (the XBOX360 and HDMI audio adapter)
Its really easy to ignore them because you didn't provide a link to what you're talking about.

If you post the models of your various components, people here could probably figure out the best solution for you.

INITIAL POST UPDATED scroll back up

Link to diagram diagram! Sorry about missing that. So ignore the part on the left that says Xbox360, HDMI Audio adapter. I have the RCA male to male plugging into the back of my TV right now.

Casper42 said: itzcuzimuslim said: Someone on youtube had a similar problem for their Xbox360 and had put up a diagram of it. Ignore the two texts on the left (the XBOX360 and HDMI audio adapter)
Its really easy to ignore them because you didn't provide a link to what you're talking about.

If you post the models of your various components, people here could probably figure out the best solution for you.

Thing is I can't. there aren't 6 audio inputs for surround sound on the tv.
Also this logic usually doesn't work.
For instance. I have a cable box. It is connected to my TV. By your logic I could just connect my speaker system to my TVs audio out.
Wrong. I must connect it directly to the cable box as that is where the audio is being outputted from

What are all the devices that you want to play through your speakers in that room (and model numbers)? The cable box and computer? Do you have a DVD player also, or a stereo, any game systems?

Your TV has 4 hdmi inputs - hdmi can carry a surround sound audio signal. If all of your devices (cable box, stereo, DVD player, computer, etc) output surround sound audio over HDMI, you can connect those all to the TV. Use the TV to switch between them, and use the HDMI output or other digital output of the TV to connect to a brand new set of speakers that have digital input.

If your cable box, or any other device, doesn't have HDMI audio output, you probably should get a home theater receiver to manage all the audio inputs. If you do that, you can use the bank of RCA outputs that some receivers have with cables like this from monoprice to connect to your current speaker inputs http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2.

Just to clarify I have an HDMI running from my cable box to my TV (video signal = solved)
Now the way I did audio for the cable box was to run a red to red and white to white from my cable box to my speakers using the female to famel adapter shown in the diagram. The consequene of this is I only get to use the front two speakers of my surround sound since red and white is for front audio only.

Okay so ultimately I would like to have
1 my cable box
1 my pc
1 my ps3
all connected to my surround sound speakers with a simple flick of on the tv's remote control

The thing is surround sound has like 6 speakers. There aren't enough audio inputs for that on the back of the tv. So I can't connect it directly to that TV

As shown on pg11 of the manual there is only a red white output under the HDMI. Meaning I am only going to get front left and front right sound from my speakers.

Then if you look at the diagram, the female to female adapter only plugs into the green output(center), the orange (rear) and black (front) outputs for the surround sound don't have anywhere to plug into on the back of the TV or cable box.
So I'm still confused as how to get

In most cases the HDMI cable inputs to the TV also carry a full surround sound audio signal as well as the video.

The only full surround-sound capable audio output of the TV is the digital optical output.
To pass the audio through the TV, you need speakers or a receiver that can handle that output. Instead of passing through the TV, another way is to use a receiver instead for switching your audio sources. Adapters for digital audio to surround analog are very expensive, usually a receiver is used instead.

If you don't want a receiver, one possibility is:
Cable Box -> HDMI cable -> TV
PC -> HDMI cable -> TV
PS3 -> HDMI cable -> TV
TV optical audio output -> new speakers that have optical audio input
The Logitech Z680 is one of the speakers with optical input.

Wow it really seems like there is no way to do this. Insane. You would think getting HDMI audio output would be a pretty mundane task by now
I would do what you said but like I posted in a post above, the TV can't act as an inbetween. It didn't work when I connected the cable box to my TV and my speakers to my TV thinking it would act as an intermediary. I had to directly connect what was outputting the audio (cable box) to my speakers

So in short the solution people is...
1) If youre single like me and will use surround sound only sparingly, just by headphones or use matrix mode on your Logitech speakers
2) get fancy Logitech speakers used for $260
3) get a fancy receiver with hdmi used for $300

There may be a setting for your cable box to tell it to transmit audio over the HDMI from the cable box, which should allow the TV to the green wire to the speakers connection to work (stereo/matrix only of course). That may be more convenient for you if you decide to stick with matrix mode if you can get it to work.

Another way to do it that may be a little less expensive than what you mentioned is to get a receiver with optical input, without HDMI. That won't be as convenient because instead of switching input sources with an HDMI receiver doing all the switching, you would have to switch on the TV as well as switching on the receiver. Because non-HDMI receivers are being replaced by many people, the used market might have something good for $100 or so. You would still need to get the cable box to pass through the TV, since the receiver will probably only have 1 optical input, or not enough digital inputs to handle all your devices. If you can't get the cable box to output to your speakers through the TV, don't bother with a non-HDMI receiver.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014