Wireless Router - end of life span?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I connect my home desktop via wireless just because it's simpler than running CAT 5. lately I can't get over 2 Mbps through Comcast. AFter doing all the normal stuff like resetting modems, the Comcast tech on chat suggested that my wireless router might be dying. I was skeptical at first but then I found similar stories on google.

I'll get a direct connection to the cable modem later today to see if the router is indeed a problem. Have anyone experiencing simillar "aging" wireless router problem?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well, it's technically possible. As signal quality degrades, the AP automatically changes the modulation type to a slower implementation in order to maintain the link quality. If the radio on the AP is experiencing problems, it could happen. However, in practice, I've never seen it happen. The radio is actually one of the more robust pieces in the router. I have some very old routers that are plugging away just fine.

Several years ago I set up a wireless network for my Dad. He had Comcast
with a Linksys b/g router and a Linksys PCI card in his desktop computer.

Over time, the performance declined to the point where he couldn't connect.
It turned out that the signal quality had been marginal at the start, and
got worse over time. Comcast said the problem was the cable from the street
to the box on the side of the house, and replaced it.

It's probably another case of the capacitor plague. Routers, like a lot of computer and consumer electronics, contain switching-mode voltage regulators that can wear out low-quality capacitors in a couple of years, and once that happens, the chips are fed the wrong voltages or voltages containing lots of noise, making it difficult for them to process the signals. Here's an example involving a Netgear router: link with photos.

Update:

updated the router firmware to the latest DD-WRT. No change on my desktop but increased speed on other PCs. LOoks like it's time to upgrade everything to N anyway so I'll probably get a new router depending on Hot Deals but I'll get a desktop card first.

I just had my old Netgear Wireless B router replaced last week. I was having internet and network issues, if I unplugged the router waited a few minutes and plugged it back in everything worked fine for a few hours. It kept happening and I just chalked it up to a dying piece of equipment.

Might have been heat issue, but it was elevated and I couldn't really do much more. I got about 9years out of it, so i can't really complain.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014