SATA cable and its color code?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Can anyone please let me know what its color code?
We have HDD with SATA/150 then with SATA-II (300) and SATA-III, and sure will be more.
For its cable, how do we know it's for 150, for 300 or for 600?
Also seen red, orange cable, is it red for 150 and orange is for 300?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't believe there is a color code standard, it's just for aesthetics. I've got 150 and 300 cables that are all red, and have seen blue, purple and orange. Haven't bought any SATA 3 cables yet.

KuoH

Thanks KuoH,
Next question is, assume there are 2 red SATA cable, how do we know which one is /150 and which one is /300?
Is there any indication at all?

Per the SATA Wikipedia page:The new specification can use existing SATA cables and connectors, although some OEMs are expected to upgrade host connectors for the higher speeds.I found a picture of a cable that had "SATA 6Gb/s" printed on the cable, but in the same discussion there was talk about no performance difference between that cable and earlier cables shipped with non-SATA 3 devices.

Honestly, based on what I found in a quick search, the only way I think you're going to find a solid answer is by testing speeds yourself. If it were me, I'd just use the cables supplied with the SATA3 device (assuming any were supplied).

Thanks Rider,
I'll test them out when have time.
Most of mine HDD purchase is OEM so no cable supplied.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014