Best Desktop for my Grandma?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was wondering if I could get some advice on getting a new desktop computer for my Grandmother. She only uses it for the basic stuff, surfing the web, email, and plays internet games like text twist, etc. My budget is no more than $500 with the monitor included. So far the best one I have seen is the emachines et1331-40e available only from Costco. It's currently on sale for around $430 and comes with a 20" monitor. I believe it also comes with basic Microsoft Word and Excel. I saw a Dell at Best Buy, but the specs seem inferior to the emachines and this one is $400 without the monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Go to Dell Small Business and get the deal of the day on the Vosto 230 Mini-Towers.

vosto mini

It has everything she needs except speakers and a good surge protector. Vostros are decently made machines. Bottom line price is $399 plus tax. You may have to call Dell Small business to set up an account. If you have a discover card you can also get 5% CashBack through Discover shopping.
But you'd have to start at the Discover shopping web site and go from there to Dell Small Business and buy it online with the card.

Vostro 230 Mini Tower Vostro 230 Mini-Tower
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 32 bit
Processor Intel® Pentium Dual-Core® E5800 w/VT (3.2GHZ, 2MB L2, 800FSB)
Memory 3GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ - 1x2GB 1x1GB
Keyboard and Mouse Dell USB Keyboard and Dell USB Optical Mouse
Monitors Dell 22 inch Widescreen E2211H Flat Panel Display
Video Card Integrated Video, Intel® GMA X4500
Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Media Reader No Media Reader
Mouse Mouse included in Bluetooth selection
Network Interface Intergrated PCIE 10/100/1000
Removable Storage No Modem Option
Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Documentation and Power Management Vostro 230 Documents and 110 Volt Power setting
Productivity Software Microsoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel with ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Security Software Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services, 15-months - A $39 Value!
Resource DVD Resource CD and DVD
Hardware Support Services CS 2.0 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service

Any machine on the market will more than suit her needs

What's wrong with her current PC?

Get a laptop, they are around $300-350 these days, would do plenty.

handyguy said:   Get a laptop, they are around $300-350 these days, would do plenty.
She might not be too keen on the smaller screen and attached keyboard.

Dell Inspiron 570
Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Athlon II X2 processor
MS Office Starter
4GB DDR3 Ram
Integrated ATI graphics
500GB Serial ATA HD
DVD burner
$349.00 plus $9 shipping
get a 19-20" monitor for $99 anywhere.....

Older people really appreciate a bigger screen over anything else. Get a 24" if you can and trim down the computer itself to balance out the cost.

get her a mac unless you enjoy providing tech support

riznick said:   handyguy said:   Get a laptop, they are around $300-350 these days, would do plenty.

You can add those.

Plus, when something happens, she can mail it to you & you can get it running.

I was going to say get her a $399 Ipad 1 from Verizon.

handyguy said:   riznick said:   handyguy said:   Get a laptop, they are around $300-350 these days, would do plenty.

You can add those.

Yeah, but it increases the budget and is probably more confusing. I do like the idea of it being more mobile for repair, though.

handyguy said:   riznick said:   handyguy said:   Get a laptop, they are around $300-350 these days, would do plenty.

You can add those.

Yes but remember she will have to unplug everything and then plug it all back together when you ship it back.

I would stick with a cheap desktop.

Give her a non-admin account.

Setup remote desktop of some sort so you can fix small issues.

computer
Disclaimer
How about this?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014