• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Well, here's quite a brain teaser that had me stumped; I can't log into comcast.com to pay bill or check email at my home PC.

Symptoms: Time out everytime I tried to access page that requires to be logged in. Comes ups with "Internet Explore cannot display this page".

System: Windows XP SP3.

Tried:

A different browser. (firefox), times out.

Disabled firewall.

I have no log-in problem with any other website.

any idea on what I should try next?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Maybe it's a problem with the Comcast website?

Kdogg said:   Maybe it's a problem with the Comcast website?Exactly
And never wait to the last day to pay your bill

(If your bill is due, pick up the phone and call them)

ellory said:   Kdogg said:   Maybe it's a problem with the Comcast website?Exactly
And never wait to the last day to pay your bill

(If your bill is due, pick up the phone and call them)

Comcast, unlike credit card companies, doesn't charge you late fee until it's after 45 days from the date the bill is sent.

It's not the website. I can connect just fine on another computer.

I should add it's been going on for a while but I never had the time to really look into it. I had actually called up their tech support a few weeks back and ask them to check connection from their end. Everything looks fine on their end.

I'm lost on what step I can take next to see where the problem is. At best I can tell, it's my PC.

Also, the home page of comcast is just fine. Just the login page is failing to load.

OK now we know
- its not Comcast
- its not browser based

For test purposes. create a new windows profile, login to that profile and try comcast from there

Question: What AV, firewall and security software are you running?

Great suggestion! That's what I'm looking for, stuff to try but didn't think of.

Sadly, that didn't work either.

I'm running MSE and Comodo Firewall. I did try to disable the firewall.

One thing that I don't remember trying or not is to use a different PC at the same location (home) and connect through the same router or trying to connect to cable modem directly but that will have to wait till I get a laptop home next week. Meanwhile, keep the suggestions coming.

Yes. try a different PC. same location (thought you had)
Also. uninstall Comodo. not simply disable. Comodo does funny things when it is corrupted

Question: You did try a different profile?

Sounds like OP tried another profile but it didn't help.

I thought OP had tried another local PC too, but apparently not. I like the 'remove Comodo' idea - I've seen firewalls do odd things too. They are so tied into Internet access that if anything gets messed up in them a complete removal can be required to fix things.

Comcast recently 'upgraded' their service. I received an email indicating that my internet speed was increased and they suggested power-cycling my modem in order to ensure that I was able to take advantage of it.

You should give that a try. Of course, if you've already tried another computer on the same network and been able to connect to their website, this won't fix your problem. I couldn't tell from the thread whether or not the other computer you tried was on the same network.

My thoughts.... The problem is an unsuccessful attempt to establish a https connection; i.e. the authentication that occurs between the server (Comcast-side) and the client (you) so a SSL connection can be established. First place to check is your hardware firewall (router) configuration and ensure that port 443 is not blocked and that the netmask/subnet mask setting is correct for the ip address assigned to you by Comcast. I have even seen selective https blocking because of incorrect ip settings. I will take a calculated guess that when you add another workstation to your home network that the same problem will occur. Alternatively, download a Linux Live CD from an antivirus vendor like Kaspersky, boot in Linux and try the included browser to access the Internet from the Windows workstation with the original problem. Useful antivirus tool to have anyway.

If settings are correct and an additional device or Linux Live CD browser going through your router can access the same site using https then you need to look at the workstation itself: 1) Check to see if there is active port blocking (443) on your software Comodo firewall (PC). Also make sure no other firewalls are active, like the native Windows firewall. Better yet, turn off all firewalls and antivirus software to eliminate conflicts between browsers /firewalls/antivirus apps. 3) If there are any parental controls for kids, temporarily disable them, any proxy settings, disable. 4) Make sure date and time is correctly configured for PC. 5) Try installing a 3rd browser (Chrome), don't import any settings and don't make it your default browser.

Thanks for the detailed post, xstemcellx.

Update:

- Tried a laptop through the same wireless router and it worked just fine, so the problem is limited to the PC.
- Tried Chrome, same problem, page timeout.
- Removed Comodo firewall completely, restarted, and no luck either.

I should note that I access a lot of other https sites with no issues.

next thing to try: Use the broswer as booted from Kaspersky Rescue CD. I will need to get a 50' CAT 5 cable for that since the wireless doen't work with Rescue CD.

Reset your router, sometimes they just keep you from going to certain sites.

I am having the exact same problem. It has been happening since July 3rd or 4th....don't know what to do. Comcast support can't help. They are stumped as well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014