• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking to get a portable DVD player to keep my child busy (with Baby Einstein, Sesame Street, etc. DVDs) on an 9+ hour flight as well as other reasons, then I thought to myself why I don't just get an Android tablet with USB ports (a web search turned plenty of results) and hook my Toshiba Portable USB 2.0 DVD SuperMulti Drive to it, then just play the DVDs from the player (I don't have time to burn DVDs though). Is this a possible scenario where I can 1) have the Android OS recognize a portable drive and 2) read DVDs off it (whether natively or by purchasing an app from the Android market)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

As far as I know Masry the Android OS does not come with a USB DVD Device Driver. Hence your idea while sound won't go.

Your best bet is to rip them all into a Portable HD and play it off that way. (With the appropriate app)

i doubt it will work, first you would need the OS to have driver support, the dvd playback software, get a tablet with a slot for memory, a couple cards 8gig are usually competitive, and rip the dvd's into mpeg4, crop off the menus and credits, select a watchable resolution during the encoding (this will get the files size down), OR, get a cheap laptop with a dvd drive and be done with it

Masry said:   I'm looking to get a portable DVD player to keep my child busy (with Baby Einstein, Sesame Street, etc. DVDs) on an 9+ hour flight as well as other reasons, then I thought to myself why I don't just get an Android tablet with USB ports (a web search turned plenty of results) and hook my Toshiba Portable USB 2.0 DVD SuperMulti Drive to it, then just play the DVDs from the player (I don't have time to burn DVDs though). Is this a possible scenario where I can 1) have the Android OS recognize a portable drive and 2) read DVDs off it (whether natively or by purchasing an app from the Android market)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I guess ripping my DVDs is the way to go (especially without menus and a reasonable resolution to keep the file size down(thanks skh12)). I like the idea of a cheap notebook as well, albeit a bit bulky compared to a tablet or an actual portable DVD player)! I think Google is pretty close to enabling USB Host mode on Android, it's only a matter of time! The Android tablets nowadays already come with USB ports, so the hardware is there, now we just need Google to implement the feature in Android.

You can monitor their progress here.

sometimes I think why we need to do this is that we need to play a DVD on the spot, I mean for example when I visit a customer, he gives me a DVD let's say product or company profile DVD, then I need to find a way to play it in the Android Tab right away. You won't be able to do ripping in this case.

sometimes I think why we need to do this is that we need to play a DVD on the spot, I mean for example when I visit a customer, he gives me a DVD let's say product or company profile DVD, then I need to find a way to play it in the Android Tab right away. Of course assume we have a USB DVD with me. You won't be able to do ripping in this case.

Apple has already stated that the DVD is a dying field so I doubt any of the others will try to pickup the 'slack' after all a cheap laptop can play dvd's as well as a cheap player. A tablet wasn't designed to play dvds (By the evidence of a missing driver) so I think they 'believe' the DVD is about to become the casette tape of 201X

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014