• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Ok, so I'm a computer nerd in my free time (and I'm also responsible for our computer system at a small non-profit that I work for).

Anyway, I was on craigslist looking at the computer stuff and someone posted the question "how do I reset the bios password on a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop". So I've wasted the past hour of the evening trying to find an answer via Google. It actually looks hopeless because the sites I've been to said "try - Dell" as the back door password, others say that it can't be done without calling Dell and paying them $50 after proving you are the original person that purchased the machine, etc. etc. Oh one place seems to claim for a fee they can find the password with just the service tag number.

So just like anything else my mind is hooked at finding an answer and then I thought - Hey, why not ask the techs at FW.

Shouldn't there be some type of bootable software that could crack it or find the manufactures default password? After all, it's just a computer. What one company does another can break. It's like the cat and mouse game of police with radar detectors to check speed.

Anyone here know if it's possible to do without paying Dell (assuming they would even do it)?

I probably won't even contact the guy on CL because how do I know the laptop isn't stolen? But I'm just curious for my own mind how to override the BIOS password.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ah, I think I see now. This wasn't a boot password? It was just a password stopping you from getting into BIOS to make... (more)

minidrag (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 8:22p) |

Probably some boot options.

Happyjohnny (Nov. 23, 2012 @ 4:10a) |

i have a inspiron 1525 and it has a bios password how do i remove it

hussaman (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 8:21p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

pull the Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor battery and that should clear it

skh12 said:   pull the Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor battery and that should clear it

Thank you, but read on other websites that pulling the battery even for 24 hours won't work on this. Guess Dell did something to lock it down and to make money when people need help.

I ve seen where you can reset it by moving jumpers, not sure which ones only

anndesikis said:   have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_46h9XDcIl0

Thanks for the link, but I can't tell what the guys screen said and how was it running on top of a Google window????

Just noticed under the video a link to this guys blog. Went to the blog and clicked a link to download the windows binary (which is a txt file) and I have no clue what to do from there.

I have a Dell inspiron 1501 and would like to try it on my machine for the heck of it.

you said earlier you have a 1525 ? which is it? 1525 or 1501

Need help with 1525 (not mine).

I own a 1501 which doesn't need any help.

Thank you

the CMOS battery is for the volatile area of the BIOS, or the options area, i don't think it's customary for a manufacturer to ship units with a BIOS password

jimmywalt said:   skh12 said:   pull the Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor battery and that should clear it

Thank you, but read on other websites that pulling the battery even for 24 hours won't work on this. Guess Dell did something to lock it down and to make money when people need help.

On desktop machines the battery usually holds all the settings including BIOS passwords. On laptops they aren't quite that stupid. Laptops move around and are stolen too often so the password doesn't depend on a battery. It's on a chip like you'd find with a router.

There are ways to remove them... most manufacturers have a device you connect to remove the BIOS password.

You certainly can't 'boot' something to do it though, not if it's a boot password. A boot password prevents booting anything until the password is entered. Maybe the question wasn't about the boot password, but rather about just BIOS protection though. In a case like that you may be able to boot something to clear it... I know you used to be able to, back in the day... not sure on newer machines though.

In any case, the biggest issue here is that the machine may be stolen. I get calls asking me to remove Windows password pretty frequently. They are easy to remove, but after having more than one stolen machine brought to me I now ask for proof of ownership before I'll remove any passwords.

I'd like to chime in on this. As someone who used to fix laptops, BIOS passwords on laptops are nearly impossible to remove/reset. On desktops, it's easy as described above. Here is an example, I was working on an old old Toshiba Satelite laptop that was a Pentium 1 class computer. It had a bios password that prevented it from booting. I've taken it apart, removed any coin-cell batteries, waited for over a week, and the password was still set. After many calls to Toshiba, a tech finally tells me that unless I have ownership proof of the laptop, they couldn't help me. He did tell me that assuming that I had the documents, I could buy a special dongle that connects to the 25 pin serial connector on the back of the laptop which would clear the BIOS password. Once obtaining this information, I started my search for a Toshiba BIOS password dongle. I saw a few for sale on eBay for around $50 but that was far more than what I wanted to spend on such an old laptop. I was lucky enough to find the wiring diagram for the dongle and actually built one. (It shorted certain pins) It costed about $5 in parts and took a few hours to solder but it worked. Now this was about 10 years ago and today's laptop do not have such a port so you can imagine how difficult it will be to do that for today's laptop. Sorry that the info provided wasn't very useful.

I did find a solution to this. Unfortunately I also found out that such solution is illegal to do. It's to prevent people from using laptops that have been stolen.

So it was fun researching and actually figuring out the answer but that's where this thread dies.

Thanks everyone.

Call Dell - if you are the owner, they'll give you a one time use code to reset it. If you purchased it from someone else, they should call and do the proper change of ownership.

I need help unlocking my bios password I purchased my laptop from a fb group it had a windows password which the person gave to me then I reset everything in case it was stolen to my own passwords well atleast I tried to and the screen came up with the Dell.com and my password was needed and wouldn't start if I didn't have it which the windows pw is not working on the bios password??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Read the above posts. As already stated in this thread there is no easy workaround to a laptop BIOS password.

minidrag said:   Read the above posts. As already stated in this thread there is no easy workaround to a laptop BIOS password.

Sure there is....

minidrag said:   Read the above posts. As already stated in this thread there is no easy workaround to a laptop BIOS password.
Actually mini, a guy on the web claims to do it if you have the system serial...which means Dell has a Master Password to get around these issues.

They also show a way to short out the EEPROM, that sounds like lots of fun.

I said no easy way, not no way at all.

I once built a small circuit board to get around a ThinkPad BIOS password - it plugged into the serial port if I remember correctly. Cost about $10 in parts (after shipping) and took me 20 minutes or so to put together. A few seconds later the BIOS password was gone.

But I sure don't think that's an 'easy' workaround.

As for that guy on the web - what's he charge? I had heard Dell might have some master password access, but I've never had reason to really look into it.

minidrag said:   As for that guy on the web - what's he charge? I had heard Dell might have some master password access, but I've never had reason to really look into it.

There are lots of places on the web that "charge", but if you spend enough time looking you can find the program that will do it yourself. All you need is the Dell serial number to get into the backdoor of the BIOS.

I just did a bit of searching around... I have to admit, I had no idea so many vendor included backdoors or relatively simple encoding that was keyed to a checksum that they actually show you.

Next time I run into one of these I'll have to actually try and get in instead of just telling people it's a lost cause.

minidrag said:   I just did a bit of searching around... I have to admit, I had no idea so many vendor included backdoors or relatively simple encoding that was keyed to a checksum that they actually show you.

Next time I run into one of these I'll have to actually try and get in instead of just telling people it's a lost cause.

Check your PM's for one from me.

Did you think that if you do run it, that it might bring up a laptop tracker & the cops would come pay you a visit?

Why all the secrecy?

ellory said:   Why all the secrecy?

Ya.. post the link so us other pc repair people can have it at our finger tips if needed.

Secrecy is probably because the laptop is stolen.
There is a Dell BIOS password reset utility but I am not sure where it can be found. It allows you to reset BIOS password and Service Tag, useful to Dell technicians who need to replace a motherboard.

We dont want the laptop serials.. We just would like to know the website used to decode the numbers.

Thing is you could have just used another search engine & got results, but this is like a 5 year old machine, not worth much but anyway:
'
Now... if you have not noticed, if you enter the wrong password three times, you are presented with a code, and a space to enter a response code. If you call Dell Tech support, and pay the $49 off-warranty fee, and tell them the code you see on your screen, the tech will give you the response code to enter, allowing you into the BIOS to change or remove the password.'
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101105111934AASlCE...

mvgary said:   Secrecy is probably because the laptop is stolen.
There is a Dell BIOS password reset utility but I am not sure where it can be found. It allows you to reset BIOS password and Service Tag, useful to Dell technicians who need to replace a motherboard.

Yes ... every time I've had a laptop serviced by Dell I try to get the guy chatting so he forgets the disc he put in the drive ... he was almost out the door one time when he remembered. LOL.

hi jimmywalt!
can you help me be cause i have Dell inspiron 1525 and i can not pass the authentical password even i do research and get no helpcan you pm at tunguyen62200@yahoo.com thank you very much

there is a difference between a bios password and a windows password.
Inspiron 1525 does NOT have a consumer "lockable"/"unlockable" bios like their pro pine of computers does. You CAN flash the bios to the latest version. There is no bioscmos on a 1525, there are no jumpers. This is a very reliable consumer level machine, NOT one for an enterprise.

MVGaryis correct, the issue is STOLEN computers.As far as windows being lcoked, most of us won't tell you how to do this because it is really really bad karma to facilitate the theft and sale of stolen computers.

IF the computer really was purchased by you, once you verify ownership, they will say they "cannot assist you because it's out of warranty" (because they have to legally),but then will tell you exactly how to work around your issue. It is very easy.

tunguyen62200
please don't buy stolen computers. That is the issue. IF the person that sold it to you was the legal owner, you can do a transfer of ownership free on their website support.Dell.com

My netbook is *not stolen*, so that is NOT THE ISSUE, and I really wish you'd quit saying that.

I bought it refurbished from an authorized Dell dealer. I've had it two years. I booted it one day and it gave me some "windows file is missing" error message so I figured fine, I'll reload windows. But I couldn't because the BIOS password was set. Even the store I bought it from can't reset this password and *they have a copy of my receipt on file*.

Generally speaking, I don't register anything (I don't recall if I did this machine), not because I steal them, but because I don't like getting spammed fifteen times a day with 'BUY THIS NEW THING ZOMGNAOUW!' emails.

I sincerely doubt *every single person* posting here has a stolen machine.

dianaramadani said:   I booted it one day and it gave me some "windows file is missing" error message so I figured fine, I'll reload windows. But I couldn't because the BIOS password was set.
So one day you booted your machine and there was a BIOS password on it? That's rather odd. Who else had access to your machine that could have set this BIOS password?

No it was on there but didn't become an issue until Windows didn't boot.

Ah, I think I see now. This wasn't a boot password? It was just a password stopping you from getting into BIOS to make changes?

What change did you need to make? There really isn't much in BIOS you should need to mess with anyway.

Probably some boot options.

i have a inspiron 1525 and it has a bios password how do i remove it

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014