64bit problem again

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I asked about this before and it just randomly started happening again.

64bit programs now don't want to open. CCleaner and VLC both gave errors; started just a day or two ago.

I haven't installed anything or changed anything. What could have caused it? Some kind of glitch in an update?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What is the error message given?

marsilies said:   What is the error message given?

CCleaner give the "this is not a valid win32 application".

Have you tried a System Restore Point? Go back a day or two to before this happened. The Restore Points sometimes list what changes too so you might be able to see if an update was installed.

minidrag said:   Have you tried a System Restore Point? Go back a day or two to before this happened. The Restore Points sometimes list what changes too so you might be able to see if an update was installed.

There was a win update on the 30th and the 1st, that had to be it.

Certainly possible. I've had no issues, but it's amazing how different hardware / software combinations can cause completely different reactions to the exact same update.

minidrag said:   Certainly possible. I've had no issues, but it's amazing how different hardware / software combinations can cause completely different reactions to the exact same update.

I could have swore the last time this happened, it ended up fixing itself.

As long as FF is okay, and CCleaner x86 works, I can wait it out.

oh yeah....used restore point, didn't work

For reference, here's the previous thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/1213741/

Is it all 64-bit programs, or just the two you listed?

Googling, this doesn't seem to be a common error at all; I can't find any reference to anyone else having this problem. My guess is that the OS is severely messed up, and you'd be best served by a clean install or restoring from a previous image.

I don't know. I just opened the 64bit version of defraggler and it worked fine....

booop...just updated ccleaner and it works fine

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014