What makes the Iphone so special?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
My plan is just about up, so after two years of using the droid incredible I am eligible for an upgrade. I have never been a mac or heavy apple user. I have an I-pod and have nothing but good things to say about it. However I dont know if that's enough of a reason for me switch to the I-phone. What makes that phone so special? I understand why when it first came out. After all it like the ground zero of smart phones. Today it just seems like any other phone. Can someone please tell me what makes this phone so great.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Superior Marketing.

AceroSBU (Apr. 18, 2013 @ 10:19a) |

At the time I got the iPhone, IOS 6 was not available.
I don't want to install Itunes on every computer I use. I should ... (more)

Hypersion (Apr. 18, 2013 @ 11:51a) |

Correct. Itunes must be installed

forbin4040 (Apr. 18, 2013 @ 2:20p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

glynnad said:   I have an I-pod and have nothing but good things to say about it.There you have it.

That said, I doubt if the iPhone is lightyears ahead of the competition today as it was years ago.

In my opinion, if you already have a bunch of apps on a non-iOS device, it would make more sense to stick with that platform so you don't have to re-buy all of those apps.

it's also not as fractured as the android platform, though it appears to be headed more in that direction as new versions are released.

the backing of a fear-based cult (a serious one) following...

This should help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=youtube_gdata_player


Graphic
Disclaimer
The iPhone is basically an iPod + phone combined with a few extra features. If you enjoy your iPod, then you will enjoy the iPhone. With an iPhone, you don't have to carry around 2 devices.


That said...

Apple claims that the Samsung Android products are "substantially the same" as the iphone. Link To News Article

The iPhone has a smaller screen, less features, less free apps, a higher price.

its smart system

coolsud said:   its smart system
Joke of the day!

A tech blogger named Dwight Silverman was thinking about replacing his iphone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy S III.
He was also considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. In the end he opted to stick with Apple and get an
iphone 5, and to stay with AT&T. (According to Silverman, you can not talk and surf the web with an iphone
on Verizon, but you can on AT&T, and this was the biggest reason for not switching.)

I thought it was interesting to follow his reasoning as he worked through the decision.

His last blog post is here,
and it has links to earlier posts.

kenmoreland said:   A tech blogger named Dwight Silverman was thinking about replacing his iphone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy S III.
He was also considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. In the end he opted to stick with Apple and get an
iphone 5, and to stay with AT&T. (According to Silverman, you can not talk and surf the web with an iphone
on Verizon, but you can on AT&T, and this was the biggest reason for not switching.)

With 4g devices, you can talk and surf at the same time on Verizon. It seems that Silverman's premises were flawed.

I replaced my orignal droid (A858?) with an Iphone 4S and didn't like it. No navigation, can't change the default application, have to connect the phone physical to iTunes on your computer instead of android where you can just use Google play in the cloud.

I returned the iphone 4S for a Galaxy S3 and I love it.

riznick said:   kenmoreland said:   A tech blogger named Dwight Silverman was thinking about replacing his iphone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy S III.
He was also considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. In the end he opted to stick with Apple and get an
iphone 5, and to stay with AT&T. (According to Silverman, you can not talk and surf the web with an iphone
on Verizon, but you can on AT&T, and this was the biggest reason for not switching.)

With 4g devices, you can talk and surf at the same time on Verizon. It seems that Silverman's premises were flawed.


Yes, I have read that Verizon does have some 4G devices which allow simultaneous taking and surfing the web.
But according to several sources you can't do this with the iphone 5 on Verizon (or Sprint). There
is an LA Times article that says this here, and a blogger at the NY Times explains the details here.

Hypersion said:   I replaced my orignal droid (A858?) with an Iphone 4S and didn't like it. No navigation, can't change the default application, have to connect the phone physical to iTunes on your computer instead of android where you can just use Google play in the cloud.

iOS 6 on the iPhone includes voice turn-by-turn navigation, and you can get songs you have purchased via iTunes to sync to your phone wirelessly via Settings. You can also have iTunes Match on your iPhone which will sync wirelessly ever song you have in iTunes that they sell.

What default application do you want to change Hypersion?

One word: stability. The iOS operating system is super stable. I've heard many people are having stability issues with Android phones. Also, there's a learning curve to Android phones.

yaijic said:   This should help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=youtube_gdat...


Beat me to it.

In reality, there is very little if anything that one system can do the other can't. There are workarounds for almost all of those. It really comes down to a matter of personal taste and what you use the phone for most. If you have specific needs or likes, one might be an obviously better choice. For most users, they wouldn't notice any major difference.

Android phones have some serious security problems if you have someone not aware of the risks installing apps- Apple seems to do a better job keeping the malware away.

zaknafei said:   Android phones have some serious security problems if you have someone not aware of the risks installing apps- Apple seems to do a better job keeping the malware away.
This is a reason why I prefer to use the Amazon Appstore rather than Google Play.
I do use Google Play for apps by companies I am familiar with, though.

That said, the Amazon Appstore isn't perfect either. Plenty of Apps try to take advantage of too many permissions.

zaknafei said:   Android phones have some serious security problems if you have someone not aware of the risks installing apps- Apple seems to do a better job keeping the malware away.

Apple has had some very embarrassing episodes too. They are much more concerned about how their apps look than how secure they are. There is something to be said for the Apple ecosystem if you are into their choices, but improved security is a mirage.

But what makes the iphone so special that has persuaded us to give it such a big and grand importance compared to other phones. for example people often say wow iphone even though they know that there are phones out there that may be better?

sharikaahmed said:   But what makes the iphone so special that has persuaded us to give it such a big and grand importance compared to other phones. for example people often say wow iphone even though they know that there are phones out there that may be better?No one is impressed by iphones anymore.

I have switched from iPhone to Windows phone 8. No looking back, change is inevitable.
It's not that I haven't used Android phones, but for me, display and appearance comes first. iOS is smoother and WP8 is smoothest. Add to that high resolution display and the beautiful live tile interface. Of course you can cry about odds apps not being there I find all the ones I need..

sharikaahmed said:   But what makes the iphone so special that has persuaded us to give it such a big and grand importance compared to other phones. for example people often say wow iphone even though they know that there are phones out there that may be better?

Superior Marketing.

brainwave said:   Hypersion said:   I replaced my orignal droid (A858?) with an Iphone 4S and didn't like it. No navigation, can't change the default application, have to connect the phone physical to iTunes on your computer instead of android where you can just use Google play in the cloud.

iOS 6 on the iPhone includes voice turn-by-turn navigation, and you can get songs you have purchased via iTunes to sync to your phone wirelessly via Settings. You can also have iTunes Match on your iPhone which will sync wirelessly ever song you have in iTunes that they sell.

What default application do you want to change Hypersion?


At the time I got the iPhone, IOS 6 was not available.
I don't want to install Itunes on every computer I use. I should just be able to use the browser on any computer to access my phone.
change default app on iphone

it looks like you still can't change the default app on an iPhone without a hack way of doing it.

Correct. Itunes must be installed



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014