• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have been through 2 Epsons and 1 Brother AIO... After a few months, I lose a color or two due to a clogged print head. I tired cleaning, I have bought kits to clean these print heads, nothing works.

Is there anything other an HP/CANON (with the print head on the cartridge) that ya'll can recommend?

I love the cheaper ink tanks but maybe it's not worth it. I print maybe 10 pages a week. I have a B&W Laser printer for large printing jobs, but I like to be able to print some color photos and copies once in a while.

Any recommendations?

The color laser AIO is a little above my price range (and size for the matter)

Thanks,
Chris

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've had the best luck with Canon's. I have the worst experiences with HP when it comes to that.

I'm really liking the two Kodak AIO's I bought a couple of years ago. OfficeMax even has generic ink for them.
Downside to those is that their rollers that pull the paper wouldn't catch 3x5 index cards (that I print recipes on) so I'm still using my old HP for that - especially since WallyWorld had clearanced black ink for it.
I've heard good things about Canon, I'll probably try one of those after I'm done with my HP.
Do NOT get a Lexmark - cheap printers, expensive ink, and several years ago they had huge memory-hogging software.

Love my Canon all-in-one.

Loved all of my previous Canon stand-alone printers (two or three?). Never had any problems with any of them.

Ink is not cheap...

if you're sick of clogged printheads you have two options

first, every few days or so, print a test page. Yes, this is a waste of ink, but it uses MUCH less ink than using the "clean printhead" function.
Second, get a laser printer. cheaper cost per page, longer time between changing cartridges, no clogged printheads, lower maintainence, higher reliability. I print enough that the price difference was easily covered by the cheaper cost per page.

if you have to stick with ink, I agree with many of the others. I'd go canon. Second choice HP, third epson. I also agree avoid Lexmark like the plague

Just an update.

I ended up buying a Canon Pixima MX892 AIO from Staples @ $130.

Very impressed so far. Great photo quality. Bought $50 of ink online, 12 Catridges, 2 of each color and to big blacks.

We'll see how long this one lasts.

Thanks guys.

Mr0ffic3r said:   Just an update.

I ended up buying a Canon Pixima MX892 AIO from Staples @ $130.

Very impressed so far. Great photo quality. Bought $50 of ink online, 12 Catridges, 2 of each color and to big blacks.

We'll see how long this one lasts.

Thanks guys.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just bought the mx892 on Amazon for $60 shipped (upgrading from the mx870, which I love). I was going to post the deal on FW (that's how I found this thread), but someone beat me to it: www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1236744/

What kind of ink did you buy?

You can buy a color laser (not AOI) printer for $85 or less. And, they are very small.

I will probably NEVER buy another color inkjet for the life of me. too many problems.

I have gone through 20 Color Inkjets (Not an exaggeration)...I have gone through 2 Color Lasers..and that's only because I broke the first one by dropping it

At this moment my Color HP has said (Needs color toner) for over 5 months and it STILL prints out the color docs with no noticable color shifts.

There are some people that refuse to use cheap generics because they believe those are garbage. Instead, they get a reputable brand of bottle ink and either refill the OEM cartridge or get a set of quality refillable cartridges. Point is the issue you might be having is the ink and/or cartridge and not necessarily the printer itself.

FunnyStuff said:   Instead, they get a reputable brand of bottle ink and either refill the OEM cartridge or get a set of quality refillable cartridges. Point is the issue you might be having is the ink and/or cartridge and not necessarily the printer itself.

Totally agree.

I myself have testified bunch off low quality replacement cartridges that caused problems.

There is NO DOUBT that laser printers are the most cost effective printers. I get 2500 pages from a toner cartridge that costs me $30-$40. That beats the hell out of 300 pages from an inkjet cartridge. I've never used a color laser so I don't know the cost of that but if you are mostly printing black only, laser is IT. I use an HP P1102W and really like it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014