Only vertical stripes on LCD

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Only have vertical strips on LCD tv Sony panel. Seems a lot have this problem, and it's likely a t-conn board or the screen panel. But nothing shows how to determine which it is...



What it looks like:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2znqphg.jpg




How's one diagnose this and if it is the panel, how does one repair it?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Check to see if it is part of a Sony recall HERE (if it's a Bravia)

Thanks. It's a 46", they recalled a lot of 40" (as in your link) and some of the 46" Text but what I have isn't on the list and all Sony would do is.. not much.

Still want to tell if its' a tconn board or a bad screen, but don't know how and can't find diagnostics online.

Help appreciated.

gotit said:   Still want to tell if its' a tconn board or a bad screen,It's the board.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25276757/E40951307-TCON-Troubleshootin...

I tried the diagnostic suggested, by wiggling the connector shown under troubleshooting, and all it did was instantly power down the TV. More suggestions welcome.

One trick to check most TCONS for functionality is to loosen the LVDS connector at the TCON (as shown InFigure 3) while the unit is turned on. Handle the LVDS connector with care and be certain to fully release the locktabs. Gently rock the cable in and out of the connector while observing the screen for any response. Dependingon the chassis, the symptoms of the screen may be gentle white flashes, intermittent colored lines, or a screenfull of random patterns. The idea at this point is to provoke some kind of response on the screen. TCON boardsthat have failed will not usually generate any type of response on the screen

gotit said:   I tried the diagnostic suggested, by wiggling the connector shown under troubleshooting, and all it did was instantly power down the TV. More suggestions welcome.

One trick to check most TCONS for functionality is to loosen the LVDS connector at the TCON (as shown InFigure 3) while the unit is turned on. Handle the LVDS connector with care and be certain to fully release the locktabs. Gently rock the cable in and out of the connector while observing the screen for any response. Dependingon the chassis, the symptoms of the screen may be gentle white flashes, intermittent colored lines, or a screenfull of random patterns. The idea at this point is to provoke some kind of response on the screen. TCON boardsthat have failed will not usually generate any type of response on the screen


this is a good trick it may work for all types lcds

It didn't help. Still have a useless LCD panel and am willing to try anything besides torching it.

What else can I do?

torch it

I gotta fix it. $1300 for a TV, to break just out of warranty ain't good. Sony offered a refurb unit - I could get a new on for less. Double whammy from Sony, added to my blacklist much as I've liked them over the years.

But what to do with it? Do I buy boards and hope, or does the screen tell a story of what it needs?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2znqphg&s=6

Did you buy it with a credit card? You may have an extended warranty.

gotit said:   I gotta fix it. $1300 for a TV, to break just out of warranty ain't good. Sony offered a refurb unit - I could get a new on for less. Double whammy from Sony, added to my blacklist much as I've liked them over the years.

But what to do with it? Do I buy boards and hope, or does the screen tell a story of what it needs?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2znqphg&s=6

No credit card to fall back on. It was about 14 days out of a two year warranty, I asked for some leeway, compromise, anything and Sony wrote:

I understand your situation. Unfortunately as much as Sony attempts to provide a perfect product that will last for many years, sometimes repairs are required. Sony does provide a warranty for all products to allow for initial failures to be covered at Sony's expense. Once the warranty expires, it is the customer's responsibility to cover repair costs. Unless an extended service plan (extended warranty) has been purchased. Since your unit is now out of warranty and in fairness to all Sony customers; responsibility for the repair cost is yours.

They did offer a remanufactured one with a short warranty for about the same price as a new set.

I'd like to try fixing this, or at least doing something with it, besides bring my broken $1300 TV to the dump. 14 days out of warranty. It's likely the TConn board or the LCD panel, but I don't know.

while it's unfortunate it cost you $1300, the prices have fallen through the floor on 40-46" sets, have you consulted with a repair guy to see what caused the problem?, i had a surge few years back that hosed my TV, renters insurance covered $750 to repair or replace



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014