Lenovo still the king?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm in the market for a laptop. My last Dell purchase was a doorstop. I'm currently borrowing a Sony Vaio, but they are overpriced.

I've always heard that Thinkpads are the best/most stable platforms. Lenovo bought IBM PC's and Lenovo became the king. Is this still true?

I'm looking for a mid grade peformance, stable laptop. My wife will kill me if I bring home another system that blue screens and requires several reboots. I don't intend on doing much gaming on it. I'm not particularly interested in paying for a gaming laptop.

Are Lenovos still the 'best' ? What are better these days? I have experience with Dell, Asus, Panasonic, and Sony. My wife's work laptop is a Dell and she thinks it is a great system. I'm still wary.

Any suggestions?

Member Summary

There is no best and all computers will screw up eventually. The point is YOU not being the reason for it being screwed up.
Computers don't go BSOD on their own (usually, unless it was the cause of some update or something).

I don't think brand plays nearly as big of part as it used to; people are replacing them before they break down.

There's no such thing as a "stable platform" in commercial Windows enviroment. There are many factors that can interact with each other, and thus cause problems, no matter what brand of laptop you have.

I personally like Dell. We have been using them at work for many years. My team evaluates, purchases, and supports the end user hardware (among other duties). Only a small percentage have problems with either software or hardware, and the majority of the time it is not the laptops fault. They are the easiest to tear apart and fix in my experience if something is wrong with the hardware.

The Lenovos do get good overall reviews, but they start to look horrible after a little while. They do not take wear and tear very well. Being that they already look like they are from the 80's, it just gets worse when they start to get beat up from use.

I concur with kabrinski.
Lenovo's are excellent, but we usually deploy dells. I would also consider Toshiba, asus, and msi. Sony's are good, but way over priced. just don't buy an acer. If you're buying a computer, look at what professionals use themselves and what they deploy. We choose those brands for a reason. Less work for us.

I also agree with lordoffire
most BSOD's are USER issues. I used to manage support queues for all three of the major mfgrs back in the days when they actually used to have educated, experienced, and certified techs. Now all you get, if you're lucky is a monkey reading a fault tree on screen. Getting someone in India, as horrific as it is, isn't bad because the only us tech I know is done my prison inmates. Afamous two letter company usually had about 85% user issues and when I workrd for a four letter company the calls were over 93% user issues (NOT mfgr issues) of the calls that were mfgr issues, we had over 98% first day resolution.

Well this this Blue Screened from the first time I turned it on, and it never really got better after that. After several calls to Dell tech support they just kept having me run around the rosie. What was my fault, was that I bought it three months earlier for a Christmas present, and it was too late to return it after I realized what a brick it is.

I have EPP with Dell, we use Dell at work (desktops only). What do the 'professionals' use for a mobile Dell platform?

The Latitude series is pretty much the standard for business laptop solutions, although you might see some Vostros in smaller places as they are cheaper. They are typically a little more money than the consumer line (Inspiron), but they seem hold up better in the long run.

Dell Latitude line is stable and the design is slower to change vs their consumer line. This means you can usually pick up parts for it long after most other laptop lines gone extinct.

I have both Thinkpad T500 and latitude E6500
Quality of the T500 is hi but not what was when ibm make them, now you can see that, every new generation
of thinkpads have lower quality then the generation before.
They start to use lower quality materials and this can me seen if you look let say T61 and newest T530, or T500 and T530,

The latitude E6500 i have is completed rubbish.
I have it from 3 year and used it for no more then 100 hours.
The screen is no good , ( very low quality lcd screen probably, Toshiba use better screen in their $200 laptops)
The touchpad is useless ( you dont have any control over it , it is straggle to use it for a 10 min ),
From outside my look good but is bulk and heavy.
I can say anything, for the new E6530 but if you check the ongoing situation with they flagship XPS 15 ( wifi issue, overheating, screen with vertical lines and priced $1300) ,
i can assume that their E6530 is no better.

So bottom line is that that both company lowered they quality, but thinkpad is much better for now.

How about HP?
Past 3 Years no trouble for me!

However TouchPad buttons broken but works
Battery replacement after 1.5 year, depends on you!

Buying a laptop today is sort of a gamble in a way. You can't be sure with either of brands. Either way, my advice to you all is to just take the extended warranty to 3 or 4 years (i think Samsung has that long) and you are good and safe to go!

JHBalaji said:   How about HP?
Past 3 Years no trouble for me!

However TouchPad buttons broken but works
Battery replacement after 1.5 year, depends on you!

::shutters:: Never had a good experience with HPs; personal or otherwise. Relatives kept buying them and they kept breaking on them (bad motherboards mainly). Horrible to try to take apart to do any physical repairs.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014